Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what will be the end with waffles??

Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    wow people are actully complaning about the amount of seeders!
    BTW two sites are better than one so if one goes down there be another one to run to.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by cRaZyzMaN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FileZ View Post
    open for signup
    indeed my friend, that will increase the leeching

whats the user limit now ? maybe increasing the limit with a open signup or giveing invites to users

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    I don't know about what and waffles since I am not a member,
    but I used to have a 100GB buffered account on oink before it goes down, and I mainly uploaded applications to build it, so if these 2 new sites have only music it would make things more difficult but not impossible, problem is that even if you keep your downloads seeded for a very long periods of time, people with faster connections or seedboxes will get most of the upload, so unless you upload your own stuff it's very hard
    Last edited by prima1; 03-11-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Torn's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Your best bet is just seeding 24/7 if it's possible.

Has anyone here been banned for having a bad ratio at either What or Waffles? I think as long as you try, you'll be fine!

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Vidde's Avatar Wubalicious <3 BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I'm more irritated at the lack of seeders... But it's the same thing; lack of leechers equals lack of seeders in the end. I've buffered my acc far then enough, but my problem is when I finally use it, which is far from often, I'm in some cases not able to leech the album or proggie at all, cause of the lack of seeders.. I think I've hit 40kb/sec once, but other then that, nah.. There are too many torrents with only 1 or 2 seeders..

Oh well, hope they'll do something, without growing too much, and without any seed points, it will destroy everything..

-Vidde

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    DarkLured's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I keep good ratios on both What and Waffles, even though I'm throttled by Comcast, I download a lot of music and I started at both with no buffer. Still, it can be difficult to keep up a good ratio given the relatively low number of leechers overall. As someone mentioned above, that is largely due to the nature of the site itself - it's a music tracker and it strives to have a very broad and deep selection of music (like Oink), so there is going to be a lot of stuff on the tracker that is not heavily in demand (e.g. old soul b-sides) and therefore will not be downloaded often.

So, what can you do? Seed what you download for a long time (I seed everything for 2-3 months, and much longer for less in-demand and poorly seeded albums). If you can't/won't do this, then a private music tracker is not for you.

As for what else can/should be done:

Seed bonus system - Good idea. It would help those who seed but are unable to upload a lot, it would encourage downloading (since people will be less worried about being unable to seed back older and less popular albums) and encourage seeding of underseeded torrents.

Overseed warning
    - Might be a good idea, as it could give other seeders a better chance to share back. However, it would need to be very carefully configured and limited (e.g. only warn overseeders on very well-seeded torrents, as you don't want to discourage seeders in general or hurt download speeds too much.

No ratio + hit-and-run enforcement
    - Not sure about this one. I worry that there is not enough incentive for people to continue seeding very old torrents. Waffles is intended to be a music archive, so keeping old torrents seeded is critical.

More users
    - Letting in more users just to increase leeching is a bad idea. As others have mentioned, if the site gets too large there is a greater risk of it being targeted by anti-piracy groups/authorities. The number of users should be allowed to increase slowly/gradually and in a way the site infrastructure is equipped to handle.

Open signups - Yeah right, great idea
    Last edited by DarkLured; 03-11-2008 at 11:53 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Oink was no different, whats the problem?

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Emma1979's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    i definately agree with the seed bonus. It would encourage more use. I only dl torrents on these sites that i know i will at last get back a 1:1 ratio (only cos i leave my pc on 24/7).

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Once you build a new buffer, it's fairly easy to maintain a good ratio. It's not that difficult... even without a seedbox. Utilize free leech or double upload.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidde View Post
    I'm more irritated at the lack of seeders... But it's the same thing; lack of leechers equals lack of seeders in the end. I've buffered my acc far then enough, but my problem is when I finally use it, which is far from often, I'm in some cases not able to leech the album or proggie at all, cause of the lack of seeders.. I think I've hit 40kb/sec once, but other then that, nah.. There are too many torrents with only 1 or 2 seeders..

Oh well, hope they'll do something, without growing too much, and without any seed points, it will destroy everything..

-Vidde
    Err, what kind of music are you after?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast