Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, got a message from giganews today.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    I just thought you could pay for 10GB (download) or something that never expires and just use it for uploading.
    Exactly; I've had a couple that are well over 8+ years old, still going 'strong'. A couple others outlived the companies!

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    I just thought you could pay for 10GB (download) or something that never expires and just use it for uploading.
    Exactly; I've had a couple that are well over 8+ years old, still going 'strong'. A couple others outlived the companies!
    I hear that Astra are good for that?
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Poster BT Rep: +1

Icon3

Get a cheap block account, you just pay once and get unlimited posting forever (aslong as you don't use up your download limit).

Go with a provider that does not include an X-Trace in the post body, that's an encrypted line that tells what account posted the files (can only be read by your nsp). I believe octanews offer block accounts and don't include X-Trace lines, if they get contacted about the post being copyrighted or whatever then it doesn't matter because they wont know what account posted it

They say that line is only there for identifying spam, bullshit! If they don't keep logs, how else would they know YOU posted it?

X-Trace: DXC=<59oN9HMKfZ[3>fhUe^HC[L?0kYOcDh@ZIU\6ZXKYMRV^;3^WXhHLU]Pi65;RHJZF_HGnIL59f3KX[ekQ`BdXEg^ <-- Example from GigaNews post.
    Last edited by torrentguy; 03-21-2008 at 04:51 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentguy View Post
    They say that line is only there for identifying spam, bullshit! If they don't keep logs, how else would they know YOU posted it?
    Um, I think the say they don't log downloads, not uploads.
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGanews
    Giganews does not track the specific articles you download (unless required by law); however, we will track the volume of your downloads for account maintenance and download limit enforcement purposes (if applicable).
    All Usenet posts posted through any of Giganews' global Usenet clusters are tagged with an "XTrace" identification tag in the header. This tag is an internal tag which Giganews can use internally to identify the person who has posted any article through our servers. We use this information to identify abusers and to help control Spam.
    Giganews does not release any member information, for any reason, unless specific information is identified and requested by court order. We invite you to review our Privacy Policy.

http://www.giganews.com/faq.html#q4.1

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    newsgroupie
    Giganews, like all NSPs, is just doing what they have to do to cover themselves in case they were to ever get sued. They get more of those notices than they can possibly count, and just pass them on electronically. Does anyone really think they personally care if you post copyrighted files? The fact is they'd be out of business if people ever stopped.

The best way to post is to have a separate posting account. www.Usenet-news.net sells blocks for only $2 that never expire and have no posting limit. Basically a lifetime of posting for only $2.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Giganews, like all NSPs, is just doing what they have to do to cover themselves in case they were to ever get sued. They get more of those notices than they can possibly count, and just pass them on electronically. Does anyone really think they personally care if you post copyrighted files? The fact is they'd be out of business if people ever stopped.

The best way to post is to have a separate posting account. www.Usenet-news.net sells blocks for only $2 that never expire and have no posting limit. Basically a lifetime of posting for only $2.

thanks, ZOT

i now have a uploading acct with usenet-news.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12