Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deliberately Starting Fires

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Or, you know, 45 days with no rain, but with high winds, lightning, and temps in the 30-40 C (80-100 F) range.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by barbarossa@5 August 2003 - 06:24
    OK,

It's very hot in Europe at the moment, everywhere is tinderbox-dry.

In the last couple of weeks there have been serious forest fires in the south of france, a most beautiful part of the world, resulting in at least 4 deaths. Many of these fires were thought to be started deliberately.

This week there is a similar story in Portugal, at least 9 people have died, and thousands of acres of land destroyed. Again, the majority of these fires are thought to have been deliberately started.

Alot of the devastating fires around Sydney, Australia last year were deliberately started too. I just don't understand the psyche of the people who do this, all I know is as far as I am concerned they should face the severest punishments allowable.

What happened this week is tantamount to murder, but even if no deaths occurred, starting fires in those conditions is such a heinous act of vandalism and wanton destruction, I don't think a description has even been coined for the scale of the crime and the damage to the global environment.

What does everyone think?
    America has tons of forest fires every year and we lose tons and tons of trees.....Dont u complain!
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-02-2007 at 04:23 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    chalkmongoose
    As I said earlier, this all points to Osama bin Laundry. He's obviously hiding in Cuba building missiles with parts scrounged from old Russian warehouses and Saddam's hidden store of Sidewinders. Obviously the next step is to further their experiments with mind control and lead the drones who've been commanded through subliminal messages embedded inside the Rosie oh' Donald show into a massive rebellion against the powers that be.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    tide them up to a F/A 18 Hornet and fly to the sound barrier a few times

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Archwolf-@6 August 2003 - 16:33
    tide them up to a F/A 18 Hornet and fly to the sound barrier a few times
    I hope your boyfriend never has an argument with you!

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Mr. Blunt+6 August 2003 - 17:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr. Blunt @ 6 August 2003 - 17:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez@5 August 2003 - 12:19
    capital punishment
    Your kidding right?

Capital Punishment for deliberately starting fires? [/b][/quote]
    you can now be fined &#036;10000 for throwing a lit cigarette butt out of a car in NSW [australia] and jailed for five years if it starts a fire [more if it causes fatalities]

if you can get fried in the states for killing someone with a gun or a knife why should it be different if you cause death through arson? [even if the size of the fire was unintended it should at least be as great a penalty as manslaughter if it kills & attempted murder or reckless endangerment if it doesn&#39;t]

having lived in the most fire prone environment all my life i agree that people who let fires occur here in summer deserve to get the harshest penalties that the law can exact
    as i don&#39;t support capital punishment i would only suggest that people in US states with wild fire issues and capital penalties might find it suitable

i would seriously f#ck-up anyone i found lighting fires here, it&#39;s just too dangerous, way more dangerous than say terrorism is in this country

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Such arsonists should not be executed.

They should be split into kindling and, well, kindled.

But only with plenty of water or a fire extinguisher handy; we don&#39;t need anymore accidents.

Seriously.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Forest fires are natural. If the excess "fuel" from the forest(dead trees, leaves) ar enot allowed to burn then instead of having smaller fires you got one huge uncontainable. They are supposed to happen.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Arm@11 August 2003 - 19:44
    Forest fires are natural. If the excess "fuel" from the forest(dead trees, leaves) ar enot allowed to burn then instead of having smaller fires you got one huge uncontainable. They are supposed to happen.
    Yes, I expect we would have some difficulty prosecuting Mother Nature for her arsonist tendencies, but I think here we are concerned with the less amorphous and eminently punishable human animal, yes?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    about fires and cigaretes this also happened quite recently im sure, someone threw a cigarette out the window and set someones car on fire, i think cigaretes should be banned in the car if mobile phones are banned, just as dangerous

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast