Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Public Giveaway's, Trading Invites

The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Well this has been a long thread, and I read it all.

I see many members have posted many times here, some like MiniMalistic posting mostly one-sentence (of something like 4 words) posts providing a lot of further food for thought.

But spam aside, and there's been it's fair shair of it here already, I frankly don't put too much (in fact none at all) importance on that Rep Point thing.

When I arrived here it didn't exist, and neither did this WTAW and WTO. There was no "level" or anything of that family. So it never really got to me. I'll be honest the first time I saw those threads I was reading and learning some "new" things about those trackers.

You see, you can have a perfectly successful bt life with a very few number of trackers, as long as they're good ones. There's no need to have a collection of 20 or more trackers, because that will really tie you to your desk (and chair).

So while a whole new generation of users signed into FST and started a whole new "atmosphere" of BT Rep and GA's and yo look at my trackers vibes I didn't really care.

As I've said in one of the request threads I made, BT Rep is a very artificial/superficial indicator of anything. In my view of anything but trustworthiness.

I know there's people here who make GA's with the right idea, and don't really give two hoots about the BT Rep (notice even though it's an FST rule people still make it a prerequisite in their invite away threads to give them rep, in the slimy "BT Rep won't hurt" way), but there's also a whole bunch who hand out their invites/accounts only to people with higher BT Rep or more posts (post history is obviously not checked with any measure of actual seriousness, because there's too many posts, and a quick check would reveal the work of a spam-bot) and finally better speedtests/ratio proofs. That's just superficial. He may have gotten the "dedibox screenie" upload proof from someone else, and there's no real way for you to check that, and the ratio proofs can easily be fiddled with (many cases now where fakers were caught showing ratio proofs of FTN, FTS (F******Scene), and UK-T that was a farce).

And I've already achieved some spots here and there in my time here @ FST, with absolutely no GA thread to date. I have helped he or she, via PM, where I saw a potentially good person, but I know exactly who to.

So there's your proof that there's no need for all these sugarcoatings. It's like rap nowadays, which has become just basically (at least the videos @ MTV) people showing off the rims on their expensive cars/jeeps, the huge size of their crib(s), the amount of cheap whores they sponsor, and the hydroponics they grow.

It's all a show. Not genuine, thus, naturally, a point for suspicion.

2. BitTorrent   -   #72
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Same thing in my opinion.
    They both = strangers (unknown quantities) being at the tracker.
    I pretty much reckon this is all that needs to be said.

If I was to add anything, speaking from my own perspective, I'd have to say that public giveaways in forums dedicated to the trading and giving away of invites has to be among the least secure situations there is from the tracker's perspective.

You are bound to get lots and lots of people flocking to a place like this looking to score some invites, and in a place where you can count on people rewarding you with invites for being helpful, or showing some ratios off some other trackers or whatever, you are bound to get more than a few people willing to kiss some serious arse to get into where they want. I'm not sure how anyone can think it's possible to trust anyone they get to know in a place like it.

I reckon a public giveaway is bad enough, but on a board where people know there are invites you can count on getting lots of people pretending to be something they aren't for the express purpose of getting invites.

And when people are doing a giveaway to give something back to this community, that's probably not usually what the people running the tracker had in mind, especially if they frown on this type of place to begin with.

And we apparently get people collecting invites for its own sake as well. When the point of it all shifts from filesharing to that, there's something odd going on. Pretty sure that kind of thing doesn't help the tracker much, either.

I'm really not liking the fact that representatives from trackers are told they should do a giveaway now and then, (again) either. Making them take people in, in order to keep up goodwill with the staff here isn't cool.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-01-2008 at 02:12 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #73
    ceasar's Avatar Slava R0b0taM! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Most users here seem to have multiple accounts. Often 1 for trading and 1 for anti-trading.
    I would say let's enforce teh rulez and BAN damn fcukers! 2 accounts not allowed on FST
    TCS Byatch in training

4. BitTorrent   -   #74
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    thats why i have no rep-and hate trading!

5. BitTorrent   -   #75
    Public GAs = Irresponsibility
    (\/)
    (O.o)
    (><)
    /_|_\
    Copy the bunny to your siggy to help him achieve world domination

6. BitTorrent   -   #76
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    At first I thought helping people and doing giveaways to who I felt deserved to be invited was the way to go. But after further examination, being banned at certain trackers, and getting go sound advice from members and staff alike. Public giveaway's is probably not the best way to go. Members will start to realize this the more they get exposed to the bt world. Hopefully you'll learn this when you first start out.

Public Giveaways is perceived to be trading to most people which is bad for the community, scene, or whatever else you call people who congergate and enjoy perks like music, movies, ebooks, games, etc.. at trackers or in forums like this one.

Best thing to do is genuinely help people out and give back through private means cause you want to, feel the person your helping out can contribute, may be a great fit, adds value to the community, etc. Also making real good friends will help you immensely.

Best thing to do when starting off is analyze everything, do your research, read the rules, get a feel for the communities you join, and the people who interact within them. Also just be honest, real, and ask for answers to questions that need clarity.

Trading accounts for sure will never be the way to go though. Especially if you didn't earn it. (Someone elses trust was involved with the original owner of that account). We all have faults. Nobody is perfect. Don't act like cause your staff, an elite member, or cause you have it better then others that everyone else is wrong or hazardous cause they may lack the necessary knowledge, know how, or whatever else.

When I first started my original attentions was to get invited to the rabbit due to members of oink saying it was a great tracker. I knew nothing about levels, rules, having to post a certain amount, bt rep, points or whatever else that is gauged to see if you were or are a good member. I just knew what I wanted and I eventually took a deep liking to fst in my path to the rabbit. I also got to discover other excellent communities and trackers. Thanks to alot of good members within fst.

I just knew within that taking and trading accounts is wrong (for myself and my own morals, everyone is different, some could care less )As time went by I learned alot of valuable lessons, perceptions, and how to be a better community member who can be trusted. Trust is the most valuable quality you can have. If your not trusted you won't get anywhere unless you trade in(get lucky and hopefully not scammed).

Also consider yourself blessed and lucky if you are trusted (And really are a trustful person, only YOU will ultimately know if you are). My advice to any new members. Always respect and follow the rules of every single tracker, forum or community you are involved in.

It really doesn't matter if you don't agree with any or some of the rules when it comes to specific forums, trackers, non related bt forums and communities. If your not the owner or staff you have no say until the opinion polls come out.

You'll still have no say but you may be able to influence decisions and sway things which could better the community and make it better for all members involved Anyways thats my story and a very long one. Feel free to flame, agree, disagree, or whatever else.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

7. BitTorrent   -   #77
    maxpowersin's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Wow awesome thread... I have a few words to say though..

It's like every newbs dream to get into private trackers. Hell I myself used to drool by looking at those sites and dream myself of getting in there sooner or later. But the problem is the newbs have no friends who can invite them to those private trackers.. It doesn't matter if he maintains a good ratio and remains active in the community etc. He can't get in coz he doesn't know anyone there. Is this fair? or unfair? Also getting into elite trackers is also luck sometimes. I mean I got into pretty good sites. The ppl who invited me don't even remotely know me. I mean it's like "Hi you want a invite. Gimme a ratio proof". I send one and bam!! there comes the invite.. . Ultimately it's persistence that pays. Keep trying to get into a X site and you will get in it eventually...

Btw stoi seems to make excellent comments. I think he is too experienced.. Maybe he is 40 years old...

8. BitTorrent   -   #78
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    I did the signup some days ago only, i don't know really how people are here but semms that some guys, from what i read, are afraid to giveaway invites.

Or because the mostly anti-traders here are traders or because they are cheaters or because they have more than one acc here... There's a lot of things that make someone think about giveaway or not.

You want an advice? Don't do it. Or if you want to be helpfull give those invites for a friend. Don't do it just because of the reputation points, they mean nothing, believe me. At this moment trackers are punishing those who giveaway invites so if you don't want to loose your acc anywhere just don't do it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678