Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Men more likely to die of broken heart

GoldStoNe's Avatar Elite Member BT Rep: +2
    I never thought that some men resort to masturbation as a way to ease their broken heartedness.. lust most of the time.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    You're right, it doesn't. So why you posted an unrelated point as a rebuttal is beyond me.
    When you said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous
    They're also more likely to take their kids to their graves with them when they get dumped. This is on account of them being more prone to ego-driven acts of irrationality. When it comes to emotional susceptibility to external influence I think they're the weaker sex.
    ...I started looking for information to back up the assertion.
    The only stats I could find showed that men and women are equally predisposed to kill their children but did not differentiate further as to motive.
    Obviously, you are privy to more detailed information...care to share?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    When you said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous
    They're also more likely to take their kids to their graves with them when they get dumped. This is on account of them being more prone to ego-driven acts of irrationality. When it comes to emotional susceptibility to external influence I think they're the weaker sex.
    ...I started looking for information to back up the assertion.
    The only stats I could find showed that men and women are equally predisposed to kill their children but did not differentiate further as to motive.
    Obviously, you are privy to more detailed information...care to share?
    *sigh*

I quite clearly said that men are more predisposed to killing their children over matters of the heart, NOT that they were more predisposed to killing them than women full stop, which in your haste to find figures to claim otherwise you neglected to notice even though you just quoted me twice.

Your figures, as US-centric as they are, actually show a very slightly greater number of men doing it than women in a narrow age range of the under 5s. Exactly what the significance of that age is is beyond me. Where did you get them from, pisspoorstats.com?

If you want to talk about who kills who in broad terms we can talk about how men commit vastly more murders than women throughout all walks of life and age ranges. Or rather, we could if I felt inclined to. Which I don't.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    "Sigh", indeed.

This makes twice now that you have failed to provide any proof whatsoever to back up your broadly sweeping statements.

"Men are more likely to kill their children when they're dumped" due to "being more prone to ego-driven acts of irrationality".

Did you really think you could throw out something that controversial without being called on it?

Pisspoorstats.com> Hissyfit.com.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Only you didn't call me on it did you? You tried to but failed.

Do you seriously doubt my quote? When was the last time you heard of a woman killing herself after being dumped and taking her children with her? In the last 6 months I've seen two cases in the news here in the UK, both men, of this sort of crime, both of which sought to seek revenge on their partner by killing their children. Those are two off the top of my head and there have been many more in the media prior. Women don't have the same capacity for violent self pity that men do.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    The Third National Incidence Study of Child Abuse and Neglect (NIS-3)

US Department of Health and Human Services, page 6-11, table 6-4

-In 1993 children were 59 times more likely to be fatally abused [read: murdered] by natural mothers than by natural fathers

-Women constitute 78% of the perpetrators of fatal child abuse
    "Women don't have the same capacity for violent self pity that men do."
    "Women commit the majority of child homicides in the United States; more than 80 percent of neonaticides; an equal or greater share of severe physical child abuse; an equal rate of spousal assault; about a quarter of child sexual molestations; and a large proportion of elder abuse... The rate at which infants are murdered by women in the U.S. is higher than the rate at which women are murdered by men." With carefully researched facts, fascinating case histories, and incisive argument, Patricia Pearson succeeds in demolishing the myth that women are not naturally violent. When She Was Bad considers two different issues: (1) how we see violent women--that we either excuse their behavior with a "syndrome defense" such as battered woman syndrome, or else see them as the passive partners of violent men; (2) how we see aggression itself--that we perceive it as physical and blatant, thus missing the ways in which women more commonly use verbal assaults and indirect strategies."
    Patricia Pearson
    from When She was Bad...:Violent Women and the Myth of Innocence
    Quote Originally Posted by World Psychiatric Association
    A significant proportion (16-29%) of filicides end in completed suicide by the mother (56). Many other mothers make non-fatal suicide attempts in association with their filicides. When mothers of young children commit suicide, about 5% also kill at least one of their children (57,58).

Filicide-suicides have much in common with filicides committed by severely mentally ill mothers (15). Most frequently, these mothers have altruistic motives (15,23). Similar to results of other studies (15,20,48), our recent American study found that maternal filicide-suicide perpetrators killed older children more often than infants (mean age of children killed was 6 years old). The mothers often had evidence of depression or psychosis (23). These mothers often take the lives of all their young children.
    -source
    Breaking News

The Post Chronicle
    http://www.postchronicle.com
    Published: Aug 1, 2007

Mother Kills Children In Murder-Suicide

An Ohio woman going through a divorce shot her son and daughter in the heart and then turned the gun on herself, a coroner said Wednesday.

Mary Ann Wittich of Cincinnati drugged Jacob, 10, and Sydney, 7, on Monday night, Dr. O’dell Owens, the Hamilton County coroner, told the Cincinnati Enquirer. On Tuesday morning, she shot her daughter first after drawing an “X” over her heart and then her son. (Source)

Texas Mom Kills Family, Self, Police Say

By JEFF CARLTON
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007; 12:11 AM

FLOWER MOUND, Texas — A stay-at-home mother in an affluent Dallas suburb fatally shot her husband and two children as they slept before killing herself, police said.

Detectives were reviewing a suicide note left in the house, where Andrea Roberts killed her husband, Michael Lewis Roberts, and children, Micayla, 11, and Dylan, 7, police said. Each had a single gunshot wound to the head…. (Full Story)
    There are two examples- both from the same day even- of behaviour that you claim women don't exhibit.
    For every high profile case you find of a father killing his children, I'll bet I can find a matching one involving the mother...after all, the numbers back me up.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Only you didn't call me on it did you? You tried to but failed.

Do you seriously doubt my quote? When was the last time you heard of a woman killing herself after being dumped and taking her children with her? In the last 6 months I've seen two cases in the news here in the UK, both men, of this sort of crime, both of which sought to seek revenge on their partner by killing their children. Those are two off the top of my head and there have been many more in the media prior. Women don't have the same capacity for violent self pity that men do.
    women are complicated like chess....men are simple....women are indirectly responsible for the killing,men act on their instincts if such a killing did happen....it happens all the time in the animal world,males killing the young....

what media shows us is the manipulated truth,truth is we dont really want to know the actual truth. we r just happy reading stats ...but i think a sensible single male can bring up a child a lot better a resourcefull single mom....because women are have always been attracted to materialistic things a lot more then males...

women want to look good ALL THE TIME...men are ok with what they wear after a while...and "men have bigger brains then females" true fact (courtesy-"FAMILY GUY")...some times i think its true remember women cant compete men in chess there has never been a women world champion i am not sure about it but i havent read about any other then susan polgar too bad for her then there was KASPAROV.

"All that is gold does not glitter;all that is long does not last;All that is old does not wither; not all that is over is past..... "

8. Lounge   -   #38
    I can only assume this is a parody of S.'s posting style.

Bravo.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    "Women don't have the same capacity for violent self pity that men do."
    "Women commit the majority of child homicides in the United States; more than 80 percent of neonaticides; an equal or greater share of severe physical child abuse; an equal rate of spousal assault; about a quarter of child sexual molestations; and a large proportion of elder abuse... The rate at which infants are murdered by women in the U.S. is higher than the rate at which women are murdered by men." With carefully researched facts, fascinating case histories, and incisive argument, Patricia Pearson succeeds in demolishing the myth that women are not naturally violent. When She Was Bad considers two different issues: (1) how we see violent women--that we either excuse their behavior with a "syndrome defense" such as battered woman syndrome, or else see them as the passive partners of violent men; (2) how we see aggression itself--that we perceive it as physical and blatant, thus missing the ways in which women more commonly use verbal assaults and indirect strategies."
    Patricia Pearson
    from When She was Bad...:Violent Women and the Myth of Innocence
    Quote Originally Posted by World Psychiatric Association
    A significant proportion (16-29%) of filicides end in completed suicide by the mother (56). Many other mothers make non-fatal suicide attempts in association with their filicides. When mothers of young children commit suicide, about 5% also kill at least one of their children (57,58).

Filicide-suicides have much in common with filicides committed by severely mentally ill mothers (15). Most frequently, these mothers have altruistic motives (15,23). Similar to results of other studies (15,20,48), our recent American study found that maternal filicide-suicide perpetrators killed older children more often than infants (mean age of children killed was 6 years old). The mothers often had evidence of depression or psychosis (23). These mothers often take the lives of all their young children.
    -source
    Breaking News

The Post Chronicle
    http://www.postchronicle.com
    Published: Aug 1, 2007

Mother Kills Children In Murder-Suicide

An Ohio woman going through a divorce shot her son and daughter in the heart and then turned the gun on herself, a coroner said Wednesday.

Mary Ann Wittich of Cincinnati drugged Jacob, 10, and Sydney, 7, on Monday night, Dr. O’dell Owens, the Hamilton County coroner, told the Cincinnati Enquirer. On Tuesday morning, she shot her daughter first after drawing an “X” over her heart and then her son. (Source)

Texas Mom Kills Family, Self, Police Say

By JEFF CARLTON
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007; 12:11 AM

FLOWER MOUND, Texas — A stay-at-home mother in an affluent Dallas suburb fatally shot her husband and two children as they slept before killing herself, police said.

Detectives were reviewing a suicide note left in the house, where Andrea Roberts killed her husband, Michael Lewis Roberts, and children, Micayla, 11, and Dylan, 7, police said. Each had a single gunshot wound to the head…. (Full Story)
    There are two examples- both from the same day even- of behaviour that you claim women don't exhibit.
    For every high profile case you find of a father killing his children, I'll bet I can find a matching one involving the mother...after all, the numbers back me up.
    Have you actually read anything I've said? I said men do it more often than women 'as revenge for relationship breakdown'....that is the kind of mental weakness I'm talking about....driven by ego. You gave one example not two, and there will always be the odd case, there are no absolutes. None of your figures address my point that men do that more often than women.

I can't believe you posted all that guff and it was completely irrelevant to my point.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    very funny thread.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast