Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Men more likely to die of broken heart

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    "Women don't have the same capacity for violent self pity that men do."
    The first source doesn't address the argument you've chosen to take up, it makes no reference to the reasons for the murders, so none of the content can be used to prove or disprove the point about men being more prone to murdering children when 'dumped'.

The second source whilst addressing violence in women, again doesn't address the point being argued.

The third source is far more interesting in that it addresses the specific subject, even if it is in places very vague about the reasoning for the womans actions, but it contains no comparative data for men, and so no conclusion can be drawn about whether men are more likely to commit such acts when 'dumped'.

There are two examples- both from the same day even- of behaviour that you claim women don't exhibit.
    For every high profile case you find of a father killing his children, I'll bet I can find a matching one involving the mother...after all, the numbers back me up.
    I think you'll find she never claimed that women didn't do it, she claimed that men were more likely too, and they are two different arguments.

What numbers ? You've yet to produce any numbers, and to be frank quoting a news report about a mother killing her entire family, including the husband, hardly supports any argument about whether men are more likely to kill children when 'dumped'.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    You put that so much better than me .

3. Lounge   -   #43
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgeek View Post
    I think you'll find she never claimed that women didn't do it, she claimed that men were more likely too, and they are two different arguments.
    A "claim" that Squeamous has yet to produce a single source of proof for outside of a incident on the news and her prodigious memory. Which is apparently sufficient for you.

Funny thing, despite statistical evidence showing that women and men kill children at the same rate (or that women kill children more often, depending on the criteria applied), not one study I could find delved into the motives behind the crimes ("I was dumped!")

So I guess this is one of those "Oh, everybody knows that" sort of claims, eh?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Lounge   -   #44
    (..). Which is apparently sufficient for you.
    Is it really ? Are you sure of that ? Or is this a "If you're not on my side, you must be on hers" argument

5. Lounge   -   #45
    I thought we were having a discussion not an argument.

The reason I wrote it was "apparently sufficient" for you is due to the fact that you haven't asked Squeamous to meet the standards you applied to me.
    Your participation thus far has been to declare my data as irrelevant while allowing S. the luxury of providing no supporting data at all.

You can see why I made the assumption, maybe?

6. Lounge   -   #46
    I thought we were having a discussion not an argument.

The reason I wrote it was "apparently sufficient" for you is due to the fact that you haven't asked Squeamous to meet the standards you applied to me.
    Your participation thus far has been to declare my data as irrelevant while allowing S. the luxury of providing no supporting data at all.

You can see why I made the assumption, maybe?
    Good discussions are made with good arguments... that's not the shouting at each other kind of argument.

If and when she provides some sources I will read them a I read yours, and apply the same criteria to them as I did to yours. I rather suspect that she was opining and as such has no intention of providing any such sources, and she is as entitled to her opinion as you are to yours... at least until either is proven wrong.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgeek View Post
    I rather suspect that she was opining and as such has no intention of providing any such sources
    We can certainly agree on that.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    no one can claim an opinion like that without proof,thats sexist such opinions need to be proved especially when its such a delicate matter...what would innocent people who read such posts by "Squeamous" might think??,they might be misguided into beliving that what ever Squeamous claims might be actually happening...and its a disgrace for men...do u really think some one can just have an opinion which is offensive remark against men not to mention without any proofs and voice it in a male dominated forum like this.....welll it might bring down the moral and dignity of the future generation of men since most of them here are 15-16 year old,like MEN ARE MORE LIKELY TO DIE OF A BROKEN HEART IS NOT DEPRESSING ENOUGH dont mind me

"All that is gold does not glitter;all that is long does not last;All that is old does not wither; not all that is over is past..... "

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by stitched View Post
    no one can claim an opinion like that without proof
    Of course they can, it's in the Magna Carta or something.

Hell, a significant percentage of Americans think that Obama is a Muslim, all evidence to the contrary.

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by stitched View Post
    no one can claim an opinion like that without proof
    Of course they can, it's in the Magna Carta or something.

Hell, a significant percentage of Americans think that Obama is a Muslim, all evidence to the contrary.
    On the plus side at least they won't be worry about what his Church pastor said

they are going to hold two opposing and mutually incompatible views aren't they?
    Last edited by Biggles; 04-08-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast