Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: Hoi Squeamous

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

That's meaningless, the motivation is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is that in nature the big bug thing would kill the mouse and eat it. Not necessarily in that order. It would not get a dead one and heat it up to body temperature prior to eating it.

You are verging on anthropomorphising in order to pass judgement on morons. The fact is that what they recorded is more natural than filming a warmed up corpse being eaten.

Why they did it is irrelevant.

In fact it probably gave us a better "natural science insight" for that. As they didn't fell encumbered by the normal social mores when filming it. The BBC would have shown something much more sanitised.
    Well giant centipedes do scavenge as well as catch live prey so a dead one is perfectly OK.

I actually have no issue with the centipede, its motivation is not in question. They are predators, they eat. However, the motivation of the video makers is an issue. They are getting their jollies at the expense of the mouse. A small thing perhaps but I tend to distrust those so jollied as it is often a small step to more vicious past times.

My objection is solely with the video makers - unattractive though I find the wee multi-legged type.
    That's the point, they only recorded nature they didn't cause or manipulate it.

Much as we may find their motivation unpalatable their product is probably more accurate than that created and broadcast by serious natural historians.

2. Lounge   -   #122
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Rubbish! You're going too far now. How is putting prey and predator in an empty confined space going to teach anyone anything about their behaviour? All it shows can be predicted without the use of film.

3. Lounge   -   #123
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Rubbish! You're going too far now. How is putting prey and predator in an empty confined space going to teach anyone anything about their behaviour? All it shows can be predicted without the use of film.
    I'm not entirely sure where I said it was a quality teaching video.

4. Lounge   -   #124
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    'Much as we may find their motivation unpalatable their product is probably more accurate than that created and broadcast by serious natural historians.'

I could tell you were taking the piss earlier on but I thought I'd see where you went with it .

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213