Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoi Squeamous

Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabGirl View Post
    y.

No sadly I'm working in the service sector for a wine company. Wasn't doing too badly within the company but cutbacks and relocation have just stripped my department back to the post I was in two years ago. I graduated specializing in ecology, primarily also botany and spent a few years working in conservation officer posts for various charities, and within environmental education. Most of these were short term contracts as they often are and because i stupidly decided to stay in the west country where opportunities are limited, I was forced to take customer services roles in between "proper jobs" and now I'm kinda stuck. I'm looking for jobs further afield again though now.
    Mmm, that's exactly the position I found myself in when I was working at the school. I knew if I stayed for much longer I'd be fucked, so I ended up moving to London before I got a chance to settle down and lost the will to live. My OH is in your position now....he's done a job he fell into in hospitality while looking for a 'proper job' for so long now he can't really do anything else without retraining. I don't mind supporting him while he does, but he's lost the will to try because he hates his job so much.

Glad you've not fallen into a rut you can't get out of CG .

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    I'll probably have to wait a couple of years to see it. I don't have cable and the DVD box sets are only out up to the fifth season so far.
    Ewe don't have teh internets.
    Now go away.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    So, we create genetically altered mice and we help with storage of mouse, fish and rat lines and assisted reproduction (like IVF). None of it is that difficult to understand,
    Yeah , it sounds it.

Who amongst us hasn't created a genetically modified mouse.

Are you now happy with what you do or do you see it as a stepping stone to other things. For example would you wish to work in the academic labs, or do you prefer the "fiddly" bits you are currently working on.

I'm not making a value judgement there, though I can see how it might sound as if I am. Just curious on how you see your career developing.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

4. Lounge   -   #44
    J-dye's Avatar BANNED BT Rep: +1
    i just saw someone that looks exactly like you mous

her name is fey by the way

5. Lounge   -   #45
    J-dye's Avatar BANNED BT Rep: +1
    am too drunk to post anything else

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    That's a shame.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by J-dye View Post

fey

by the way

is very poetic

or something else
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Quote Originally Posted by J-dye View Post

Ooooo, spooky, that sounds like the last syllable of my name . You sure you're not just pished and seeing double?

9. Lounge   -   #49
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1

10. Lounge   -   #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post

Yeah , it sounds it.

Who amongst us hasn't created a genetically modified mouse.

Are you now happy with what you do or do you see it as a stepping stone to other things. For example would you wish to work in the academic labs, or do you prefer the "fiddly" bits you are currently working on.

I'm not making a value judgement there, though I can see how it might sound as if I am. Just curious on how you see your career developing.
    Well I'm kind of doing a bit of both. I've got co-authorship on a paper being submitted by one of the labs. We hear back in about 3 weeks if it's been accepted by the journal. That'll be my first . I could have gone down the PhD route (maybe), but I couldn't see where it would take me. I applied for a few posts but my heart wasn't in it. I was worried I would end up with a doctorate working as a sales girl for Glaxo SmithKline or something . The way I saw it only the best should get a doctorate...the kind of person who is capable of finding the questions, not just the answers. I'm very good at finding the answers but fuck me if I know what the questions are. I didn't want to waste my time and everyone else's....end up with a token doctorate and no real good to do with it. I think you only need one if you're good enough to be a lab head, and I'm not.

This way I can become really good at something specific, which suits me, and then colaborate with the labs now and again. I also have my own projects I'm doing that could lead to published research within the technical progress side. Anyway, all great discoveries are preceded by great leaps in technology. Scientists can't find things out until someone gives them the tools to do it. Maybe one day I'll have built up enough work to get a retrospective doctorate.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast