Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we Americans care what the world thinks of us?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by M3dium View Post
    Hell no we shouldn't care what others think.
    Oh, come now, I think we should, absolutely.

Trouble is that others occasionally need to be taught how to think.

Emend - I have just received a very gracious invitation to dinner; I shall attend later...
    Last edited by j2k4; 04-18-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    No. Why change the habit of a lifetime?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M3dium View Post
    Hell no we shouldn't care what others think.
    Oh, come now, I think we should, absolutely.

Trouble is that others occasionally need to be taught how to think.

Emend - I have just received a very gracious invitation to dinner; I shall attend later...

a fund raiser I suppose
    "That was a great speech. If McCain wins, he'll owe it to Sarah Palin."
    "We're fucked. I think."

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Are you saying that the US should be allowed to act like an arsehole because there are bigger arseholes around the world?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Are you saying that the US should be allowed to act like an arsehole because there are bigger arseholes around the world?
    Not at all..

Please, brother lynx, tell me I don't have to explain it to you.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    You have to wonder, who are the pollsters talking to when they "discover" that North Korea is viewed more favorably than the USA?

yo

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    You have to wonder, who are the pollsters talking to when they "discover" that North Korea is viewed more favorably than the USA?
    Well, a few things sort of leap out at me:

Auntie Beeb is in charge, so the poll must be a fair, pure, and representative (our British friends insist that this is so, after all), and the 34 countries polled (I admit I have no idea which countries were included) gave the United States a failing grade, as compared (most notably) to China and North Korea.

Now, though the BBC cannot be cast as adhering to the British government's allied stance (remember - the government throws the funding into the Beeb's playpen, then turns a blind eye) one can, without undue charity, assume the BBC knows how to conduct a proper poll, which in turn means that a great majority of those polled who expressed disdain for the U.S. expressed substantially less of same for North Korea and China.

For starters I'd like someone to reconcile (however symbolically) these two, umm, positions...

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    And the United States? Well, we've conducted a difficult, frustrating, but essentially benevolent five-year effort to liberalize and democratize two very tough customers: Afghanistan and Iraq. And we've imprisoned several hundred known and suspected terrorists -- giving them medical care, culturally sensitive food, prayer rugs, a Koran and a dental plan.
    Somehow, I sense a bias.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    barakokula's Avatar hard to thrill BT Rep: +1
    [I][COLOR="Blue"] Let's see, there's a brutal crackdown on Tibet, constant threats toward Taiwan, complete repression of political and religious liberty, forced sterilization and abortion, military and diplomatic support for the genocidal regime in Sudan that has destroyed Darfur, and thousands of other violations of human rights and human dignity.

And the United States? Well, we've conducted a difficult, frustrating, but essentially benevolent five-year effort to liberalize and democratize two very tough customers: Afghanistan and Iraq. And we've imprisoned several hundred known and suspected terrorists -- giving them medical care, culturally sensitive food, prayer rugs, a Koran and a dental plan.

Actually, these international polls may not mean much. If the U.S. were truly unpopular, would we be building fences to keep immigrants out? Would the U.S. be the world's third most popular tourist destination? And would the world's people be glad to not have the U.S. available when another catastrophe like the Asian tsunami or the Bosnian crisis looms?

Contra Pat Leahy, we do not need to reintroduce America to the world, we need to remember that the world's moral focus can be strangely distorted.

It seems much of the world hasn't a clue...
    This article takes for a fact that every person on the world thinks like an average american. That having a fast food restaurant nearby and a wide variety of channels on your tv is the most important thing in life. Oh,yeah,and a dental plan.

So important that it's imperative to invade a country and totally destroy the government,position yourself over oil wells and leave the country in shambles,so that a million ppl died since. Because of the dental plan,sure. Worlds oral hygiene is US #1 priority.

Article's biased,and that's an understatement.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quylui's Avatar YAY FOR TRADING
    Of course not. Their perspective is controlled by what they see and what they don't, and in most cases their only outlook is the media. It might as well be high school... did you care about what everyone who didn't know you thought about you in school?

We could make all the great decisions we wanted, but even doing this couldn't dictate people's perceptions of us. It's not a battle worth fighting, either.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast