Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Should we Americans care what the world thinks of us?

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    biggles - how would you answer the poll question about the effect of the current administration on the world?
    v. positive - v. negative?

edit: and its not soccer its football.
    There is little doubt in my mind that the GW/Rumsfeld unique brand of charm has had a negative on perceptions of the US around the World. Clinton, regardless of his cigar tricks was well received and raised US stock, especially in those countries not at loggerheads with the US in the ME. You can't please all the people all the time.

I know it is footie (so does Kev) - I was just being all international for the sake of other readers.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    biggles - how would you answer the poll question about the effect of the current administration on the world?
    v. positive - v. negative?

edit: and its not soccer its football.
    There is little doubt in my mind that the GW/Rumsfeld unique brand of charm has had a negative on perceptions of the US around the World. Clinton, regardless of his cigar tricks was well received and raised US stock, especially in those countries not at loggerheads with the US in the ME. You can't please all the people all the time.

I know it is footie (so does Kev) - I was just being all international for the sake of other readers.
    a very politician like answer
    i was looking for an answer on whether you think their influence on the world has been positive or negative?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

a very politician like answer
    i was looking for an answer on whether you think their influence on the world has been positive or negative?

The US operates on many levels and much of what the US has done has been positive.

I rather liked the Winston Churchill quote "The US always does the right thing...once it has exhausted the other possibilities". So on balance I think the US has made a positive contribution to the World but it has also made mistakes - amongst which I would include electing GW
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Well then.

Inutterable ignorance isn't only an American phenomenon.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I know.

We have the inbred section to remind us of that.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Well then.

Apparently not and clearly contagious; perhaps the temporary solution is to put all Americans into quarantine, while the World considers Her options?.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Well then.

Apparently not and clearly contagious; perhaps the temporary solution is to put all Americans into quarantine, while the World considers Her options?.
    The "World" is now a feminine deity?

A bitch, too, I suppose.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Of course you should do.
    Everybody should... not for making your policies based on what others want or need, any country has the right to do the best for its citizenships... but this is a world with hundreds of nations, and you, more than any other, have a huge responsibility with all of them.
    No one can deny that USA is the most powerful, but that implies a huge range of things you have to take in consideration, making things only for american interest no matters what is very risky, and not fair.
    History teaches a lot... there have been great and powerful empires, and all of them knew the fall, almost always painful, humiliating and miserable... because at some point they only took care of themselves in the belief they were invincible and only were happy looking at their navels.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    Of course you should do.
    Everybody should... not for making your policies based on what others want or need, any country has the right to do the best for its citizenships... but this is a world with hundreds of nations, and you, more than any other, have a huge responsibility with all of them.
    No one can deny that USA is the most powerful, but that implies a huge range of things you have to take in consideration, making things only for american interest no matters what is very risky, and not fair.
    History teaches a lot... there have been great and powerful empires, and all of them knew the fall, almost always painful, humiliating and miserable... because at some point they only took care of themselves in the belief they were invincible and only were happy looking at their navels.
    What does history teach us about the Soviets?

What will history teach us about current-day China?

Given that this turnabout in international opinion is universally considered to have coincided with the advent of the Bush administration, please prepare for our edification a comprehensive comparison of Bush's foreign policy to Bill Clinton's, with special attention given to the ratio of action to rhetoric.

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast