Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allowed to Hit and Run on this tracker!

King of ratio
    NB doesn't care about hit & runs either.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    many tracker where ppl are there to share and not just to increase their e-penis have not h&r policy...

for example hdbits (as mentioned earlier) and scenehd
    Last edited by yayyyyyy; 04-20-2008 at 12:24 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by sagib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    No they wont, a user that knows how torrenting works, will partial seed to get a buffer, or use their SB to upload 300 gig in a day on 1 torrent, and then rape the site dry of 300 gig of other stuff. reuse seedbox, and repeat the process.
    That's debatable! Compare buffer to money, if you are selling cars for example, you will earn more money when selling one car than if you would have of sold only the tires...

At end of the day, you earn a certain amont of money from what you sold and you are allowed to use that money as you wish.

Now, i am sure that the marginal profit from selling tires is lower than the marginal profit from selling cars, same as in partial seeding.
    However, people buy more tires than cars which allows other people to make a living from selling tires.

At the end of the day, if you ul 300gb you deserve to dl 300gb. Some people sell tires and that's cool, others are more into cars and so, in principle, HnR should not really damage the community.

If you are into the stuff you dl (Cars) you will have to seed it back, if you are just dl'ing it for the buffer (Tires) then good for you, at least you gave us back 300gb... I assume things should balance once the site have enough users and interesting content. In my opinion, HnR is only there to allow smaller sites with lousy content to stay alive in this ruthless bt market.
    But then again, it is just my opionion...
    no its not.

OK we have 6000 torrents on the tracker, ranging in size from kbs to 25 gig.

Member downloads a new torrent from elsewhere, seeds it on our tracker. uploads 300-400gig on that 1 torrent. then goes and proceeds to hit and run (and i mean downloading all, uploading 0 and stopping the torrent as soon as it finisshes.) on lets say all the NDS games on the tracker, thats about 20 gig, all the OST, all the Roms, all the DOX, and still have plenty left over for 10-15 new or old 360 games.

and then in a month or 2 time, doing it again, we may as well be a public, no ratio tracker, its a hell of a lot less headache to run one of those than a private tracker with ratios.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    It's all about sharing. It's impossible to keep a 1:1 ratio on every torrent that you download no matter how long you seed for. Mathematics also dictates that if your ratio is over 1:1 then someone else must have a ratio under that. Those of us with a slow upload (eg cable) can't compete with the fat pipes and seedboxes so it's important to get a grip of the whole picture.

The point is that we seed where we can, one torrent that I am currently on has a ratio of 8.8 (only seed), others flounder at 0:0.

Sharing is not just about per torrent ratio and not hit-and-running, it's about the overall picture. If someone with a seedbox uploads 300gb on a popular torrent and then hits and runs to 300gb on others that is actually a good thing for the community because it gives the rest of us the chance to seed back on those other torrents which we can't do on the seedboxed one.

Furthermore, since you can only really seedbox to that extent on a really popular torrent it has the advantage of getting it spread quickly.

Hit and Running is only a bad thing when a proper ratio isn't maintained, the other menace of course is over-seeding which is just as bad.

Persnally, I never leave a torrent which has more leechers than seeders, I spread my seeding where it's needed most and I try not to overseed.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sagib View Post

That's debatable! Compare buffer to money, if you are selling cars for example, you will earn more money when selling one car than if you would have of sold only the tires...

At end of the day, you earn a certain amont of money from what you sold and you are allowed to use that money as you wish.

Now, i am sure that the marginal profit from selling tires is lower than the marginal profit from selling cars, same as in partial seeding.
    However, people buy more tires than cars which allows other people to make a living from selling tires.

At the end of the day, if you ul 300gb you deserve to dl 300gb. Some people sell tires and that's cool, others are more into cars and so, in principle, HnR should not really damage the community.

If you are into the stuff you dl (Cars) you will have to seed it back, if you are just dl'ing it for the buffer (Tires) then good for you, at least you gave us back 300gb... I assume things should balance once the site have enough users and interesting content. In my opinion, HnR is only there to allow smaller sites with lousy content to stay alive in this ruthless bt market.
    But then again, it is just my opionion...
    no its not.

Member downloads a new torrent from elsewhere, seeds it on our tracker. uploads 300-400gig on that 1 torrent. then goes and proceeds to hit and run (and i mean downloading all, uploading 0 and stopping the torrent as soon as it finisshes.) on lets say all the NDS games on the tracker, thats about 20 gig, all the OST, all the Roms, all the DOX, and still have plenty left over for 10-15 new or old 360 games.

and then in a month or 2 time, doing it again, we may as well be a public, no ratio tracker, its a hell of a lot less headache to run one of those than a private tracker with ratios.
    So you would prefer that that user with 300gb (that have UPLOADED 300gb... giving damn fast speed to all your users leeching that file) wouldn't have uploaded that file with his own seedbox?

just make that clear... and maybe deny overseeding (deny seeding more then 2.0?) ... that would make sense... so you can be sure that all the ppl will need to upload equally all the files......... and not just terabytes on one... and 0 on others....

anti hit-and-run does not solve the things.... as that user with big buffers will still download the torrent using his buffer, and will keep it seeding (limited to 1kb/s) for 36hours... nearly nothing will change in term of overall speed...

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    i wonder if they actually have anything to hit n' run

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    The Gladiator's Avatar I Will Report You BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Great one

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."

**Don't PM me asking for invites**

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well if i do say so myself, this is why the SP system is so good.

Every torrent on the tracker you can get a 1:1 on.

and in reply to yayyyy

lets take a 4 gig torrent as an example.

you download all 4 gig, but upload nothing. either 0 leechers or your limiting your bw.

72 hours + 40 hours = 112 hours you have to seed for.

but lets say you upload 3 gig.

72 hours + 10 hours = 82 hours you have to seed for.

now most members can upload faster than 100 meg an hour, as its 100 meg = 1 point so its in everyones best interest that you actually upload instead of just sitting on it twidling your thumbs.

and with us being open again, even a torrent that may seem dead, might not be.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    It's a good system stoi, and works well.
    I have a bit of a buffer there but i'm just using it for extra e-peen.
    Now go away.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by yayyyyyy View Post

no its not.

So you would prefer that that user with 300gb (that have UPLOADED 300gb... giving damn fast speed to all your users leeching that file) wouldn't have uploaded that file with his own seedbox?

just make that clear... and maybe deny overseeding (deny seeding more then 2.0?) ... that would make sense... so you can be sure that all the ppl will need to upload equally all the files......... and not just terabytes on one... and 0 on others....

anti hit-and-run does not solve the things.... as that user with big buffers will still download the torrent using his buffer, and will keep it seeding (limited to 1kb/s) for 36hours... nearly nothing will change in term of overall speed...
    I will have to agree with you, overseeding limit is a great and most important simple one. It is true that BCG's system is good as well, though stoi it is not exactly how you mentioned it since the rules are much more strict than that... If you a 19:1 ratio between seeders and leechers it will take much more than: torrent siez - seed amount - 1gb*10 hours...
    Why not keep it simple and set an seeding limit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast