Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 400

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    So it had quadrants back then.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Lounge   -   #12
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Don't forget, the earth was flat back then.
    Very few people ever thought that.

Think about it, how could shipping navigate being so wrong about the fundamental nature of the Earth.

It makes no sence.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I amy be wrong but I thoguht they always travelled around the midle bit between australia, europe, asia, etc. and never went outward (whic from each side would make them hit america)
    That woudl explan it but I could be completely wrong.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post

Hemisphere- half of a sphere.
    It has North ,South ,East and West halves of course.
    But I liked Mulder's answer better.
    How can it have an East and West half if it's spinning, that's mad talk. It can have a North and South because those halves are constant.
    Weather or not they are infact truly east, west, north, south that is what they have been named, by whom I have no idea, but it is a popular reference that we all know, not that hard really

5. Lounge   -   #15
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    I amy be wrong but I thoguht they always travelled around the midle bit between australia, europe, asia, etc. and never went outward (whic from each side would make them hit america)
    That woudl explan it but I could be completely wrong.
    The earliest claim for the round shape of the Earth came from Pythagoras. It was reported that Pythagoras reasoned from the perpetual round shape of lunar eclipses that the Earth could neither be flat nor cylindrical, but only spherical.
    Aristotle proved that the Earth was round. There are several arguments but the best is the ship coming into the harbor one. As a ship appears on the horizon, an observer first sees that top of the ship's mast and then later the deck. It is as if the ship is coming over a hill. Hence the Earth is shaped like a hill. Since this phenomenon is true in every harbor that the Greek sailors visited, the Earth must be everywhere hill-like or round.
    Only the truly uneducated ever believed that the earth was flat and certainly no sailors whose lives and livelihoods depended on being able to navigate.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Damn IE Thats good, did you know that or Google it? I'm still impressed either way

7. Lounge   -   #17
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Thanks Detale .
    I cannot lie,I didn't write it all. Plaguery is a old and trusted friend.
    I can only take responsibility for the intelligent parts.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Interesting...

9. Lounge   -   #19
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post

How can it have an East and West half if it's spinning, that's mad talk. It can have a North and South because those halves are constant.
    Weather or not they are infact truly east, west, north, south that is what they have been named, by whom I have no idea, but it is a popular reference that we all know, not that hard really
    What on Earth does "Weather or not.." mean. Of course there's weather.

What's hard is that Northern and Southern hemispheres are self-evident because they are constant. However as the Earth spins on a North/South axis then there is no such thing as Eastern and Western hemispheres as they are constantly changing, making it a totally arbitrary thing. Obviously I understand the convention but that doesn't make it any more sensible.

I think everyone else can see that, your ridiculous weather reference kind of explains why you wouldn't.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post

What on Earth does "Weather or not.." mean. Of course there's weather.
    I think everyone else can see that, your ridiculous weather reference kind of explains why you wouldn't.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast