Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apple G5

Originally posted by slammy_dunken@12 August 2003 - 20:53
    Though Macs are the first most popular PC before Microsoft, I still think that Macs suck. But they just LOOK cool.
    Why do they suck? Please explain.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    The G5 is a pos...

its all eye candy.

apple worked up a bunch of shitty benchmarks, trust me, i read about them... the one side used a a linux emulation of sorts, or something, there was a big uproar when the truth about them came out... it wasnt a fair test bed.

if you buy a mac... you deserve all the problems and incompatibilities you will get...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    does anyone in hear that is knocking Macs, actually own a Mac???

if you could actually use a Mac for what it is meant to be used for then you could see just how phenominally quick they are. Their colour support is much higher than PCs which makes them again better for graphics work.

i have a new mac and also an old G4 500Mhz and it runs noticably faster than a 1Ghz P3 PC i have. They're not just quicker with software made by companies such as Adobe and Macromedia, they are quicker full stop.

As for the benchmarking, how can a company that size get away with cheating on benchmarks?
    They can't.
    Why would they need to cheat when they have two 64-bit processors sitting under box?
    They wouldn't.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    With only 512MB of RAM for a 64-Bit computer?
    The Armari is the best 64-Bit computer out at the moment, there's the Xeon and the Opteron version.

And they claim it's the first 64-b computer out, well a 64-Bit computer was manufactured 10 years ago and the Armari was built before the G5.

Edit: 8GB of RAM? Is that it? 64-Bit processors are capable of TBs of RAM, not 8GB. And the momory is only clocked at 400MHz, the Quadro FX 2000 has 1GHz DDR2 RAM. The only special bit is an increase in an FSB by 200MHz. And how can 2x 2GHz Processors beat 2x 3.06GHz Xeons, which I suppose they're referring to the Armari, the Armari processors run individually, so you're guarenteed 6.12GHz rather than 4GHz.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    well i just priced one and it ended up being over $12,000 but most of the cost was the 8gb of ram and the two 23" displays

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Except for like gaming, Macs are great,
    the OS is actually stable, they run graphics and movies tremendously better than PCs.

And their is plenty of Peer to Peer programs out their for MAC.
    Mac's have pretty much everything a PC has except for gaming, but that's because no one creates games for Macs.
    When you only have 10% of the market, its hard to get companies to program for your OS, when the other 90% is already waiting, and has the cash.

My only thought about the G5, I want one, but they are way to damn expensive.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    Theres one thing you really need that kind of speed for-thats gaming. But the problem is MACs have very few games....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    History wise, Mac's have always been ahead of the curve, but when no one to follow, your just running by yourself. I mean come on, they put out a personal computer before IBM's in 81', but, it was confusing as hell, and average people couldnt understand how to use it.

They put out the first Handheld last time I checked, the Newton, but, once again, first out usually has alot to improve on.

But yes, I mean, the lack of software support completly undermines the now 'rock solid' OS that Apple has built. But on the flip side, there are few virses that are written for the mac's, same goes for spyware. But, if your a gamer, I know you say you HAVE to go with the PC's, but my friend juse has a virtual PC setup on his mac, that he is running 2k off of......

Speaking of which, why the hell hasnt Apple made anymore hand helds? Oh wait, yeah, Palm.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    for $1999usd i could get a

Intel pentium4 3.0ghz 800fsb
    1024mb ram
    saffire ati radeon 9800 256mb OR geforce 5900 256mb (same price)
    cable connection
    80gb hard drive

ya thats bout the best of it the rest is just basic crap
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Hey guys, I'm back, just took my final in calculus, it's finally over...

Anyways, about the Macintosh...I really do not understand people who like to dog the Mac. Here is the real issue: those who have Macs have particular uses for them that are either unavailable in the Windows' world, or are just plain inferior.

Like take, for example, a movie editor or a photogapher. They all have Macs. I live in Los Angeles, California, and although I am not a moviestar or other such hotshot, I do encounter the type, that is, who are dedicated Macintosh users for good reason. The Macintosh platform supports better programs for such purposes, there is no doubt about that; final cut and photoshop for the Mac world is superior by a scalar multiple to the Windows edition.

However, that is not to say that Windows does not have its advantages. For one, there is simply no way that you could aquire the vast dedadence available for Windows OS for general purposes; filesharing among Macintosh users, for one, is, shall I say, limited? Well I can tell you one thing, and that is there is no Kazaa or
    cornocopia of compatable 1's and 0's streaming on the internet to such unbounded volumes on the Internet available for the Mac platform.

Personally, I prefer Windows, because, for one, there is simply no way that I could afford the thousands of dollars of pirated 1's and 0's just yet. Although you may take for granted vast amount of intellectual property that is avaiable at no cost* for us in the Windows world...more later...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast