Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've had it with Kaskersky and NOD32

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    The Kaskersky site works fine for me..

I often wonder if a comparison was made, which would come off as the most annoying/damaging to computers or headache inducing to their users - the viruses or the programs designed to prevent them.
    The ire I've had In the past when simply upgrading versions of Norton and McAfee (paid for cd's)

This particular machine came with "Trend Micro PC-chillin" Internet security (home use) installed. I have to say I've had no problems with it at all (so far). I'm running Vista (yeah I know). http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/
    Of course I haven't tried re-installing

There are access issues with Kaspersky's page if you have certain gear or ISPs - there's a thread in their forum about it, but I guess what pisses me off is that, after all of them that I have tried, or used long-term, I have just gotten fed-up with the types of problems that can't be overcome by, at most, an uninstall/reinstall.

I've gotten to the point where I don't care to spend a weekend troubleshooting this type of thing, not when I've tried most of them, developed my likes and dislikes, and end up finding out (in the case of firewalls, anyway) the best to be had can be had for free (Comodo, Online Armor).

I like the idea of an all-in-one (KIS) or small-footprint stand-alones (NOD32, Zonealarm, etc.); I still have KIS on Mrs. J's machine, and NOD32 on my laptop and other machines, and I've used Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, and many others, but I'll be damned if I'm going to keep paying for the aggravation.

It may be due to Vista (the other PCs are XP; my wife made me pull her Vista HDD and put in a fresh one for XP), but I hate these little dumb-dumb problems.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    惡魔的提倡者
    Probably already been mentioned and dismissed in their forum, but couldn't you bypass the access problem with an anonymous proxy server?

Never used one myself but I have heard "stories"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Probably already been mentioned and dismissed in their forum, but couldn't you bypass the access problem with an anonymous proxy server?

Never used one myself but I have heard "stories"
    Could be, but when the problem got beyond one or the other of ISP and router manufacturer, I just made the executive decision; as I said, I have come to hate sorting this type of thing.

In any case, I have made the switch (Comodo and Avira) and all's well.

So far.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12