Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Global Warming

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I believe that the dire predictions of rising sea levels is based on varying degrees of melt from Antartica, which after all is said and done, is a big place with a lot of ice.

I also understand that warm water is less dense than cold water and that sea levels can rise by simple warming rather than any increase in the wet stuff.

At the end of the day, we can scare ourselves silly over this far better than we can with Friday the 13th (part 52 - the return of the synchronised swimmers) and with that added twist of total uncertainty.

As I said above, the world is warmer and there will be implications at some point in the future (perhaps small perhaps big) we simply have to be prepared to adapt and survive.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. Lounge   -   #42
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by downloader2008@15 August 2003 - 21:05
    Actually, I read an article that the hole in the Ozone Layer above Antarctica is actually getting better [recovering] because of banning a while ago that banned a chemical that was used in old refridgerators and air conditioners.
    Wasn't a new satellite launched in the last couple of days to examine the ozone layer and see how it is doing?
    I saw something on the news about a small rocket being launched from under a plane, but I wasn't really paying too much attention.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Biggles@15 August 2003 - 21:23
    I also understand that warm water is less dense than cold water and that sea levels can rise by simple warming rather than any increase in the wet stuff.
    Agreed, but surface temperature changes only have an effect for a few metres, there is no recorded change in deep water temperature as far as I know, so expansion of surface layers would have a minimal effect.

I found something out yesterday while researching this topic: apparently water density at great depths is actually affected by the pressure caused by those depths. I was not aware that liquids could be compressed in this way. I suppose more water on the surface would contribute to this compression, though I would expect the difference to be negligible.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Talking about synchronised swimmers? If all of the team bar one became too ill to compete would the remaining member win the competition?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345