Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overseeding worst then HNR ?

Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    there's no such thing as overseeding ... its a term invented by people with horrible ratios who are about to get banned .. . . .. . . . ..

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    Good Thread :0

Overseeding is only a problem when it discourages 'home' users from snatching torrents. If these users refrain from downloading something because they are afraid they will never get back to 1:1 and it will cause their global ratio to drop to a point of warning or banning.

I kind of view torrent communities like economies. Confidence is a major factor. If all of the users feel they have enough money (buffer in this case) to download whatever they want, thats a good thing. But you don't want everyone to have 2TB buffers through irc bonus, freeleech etc either. Their is a delicate balance that occurs when all users feel confident to download whatever they want, but also feel that staying and seeding ensures their future ability to download whatever they want.

We've all seen sites that tip too far to one side or the other. Throw pay2leech in there and the equation gets infinitely more complex.

So, I would say hnr is worse than overseeding, typically. But chronic overseeding by boxes coupled with extremely strict ratio requirements can grind activity to a halt.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Raban View Post
    there's no such thing as overseeding ... its a term invented by people with horrible ratios who are about to get banned .. . . .. . . . ..

ban is your middle name
    "That was a great speech. If McCain wins, he'll owe it to Sarah Palin."
    "We're fucked. I think."

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by slimdogp View Post
    Good Thread :0

Overseeding is only a problem when it discourages 'home' users from snatching torrents. If these users refrain from downloading something because they are afraid they will never get back to 1:1 and it will cause their global ratio to drop to a point of warning or banning.

I kind of view torrent communities like economies. Confidence is a major factor. If all of the users feel they have enough money (buffer in this case) to download whatever they want, thats a good thing. But you don't want everyone to have 2TB buffers through irc bonus, freeleech etc either. Their is a delicate balance that occurs when all users feel confident to download whatever they want, but also feel that staying and seeding ensures their future ability to download whatever they want.

We've all seen sites that tip too far to one side or the other. Throw pay2leech in there and the equation gets infinitely more complex.

So, I would say hnr is worse than overseeding, typically. But chronic overseeding by boxes coupled with extremely strict ratio requirements can grind activity to a halt.
    You make some very good points slimdogp.

Unfortunately people don't grab torrents because there is no hope of ever seeding them back -which of course equates to fewer leechers which is the real problem in the first place.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    You can´t compare both type of users.
    Hit and runners are scumbags, selfish guys who give a shit to the spirit of this thing, they only grab and don´t like give anything.
    Overseeders are the opposite, they give much more than they get.
    Of course, there are collateral effects, home users with crappy connections, like me, have things very hard to keep ratio.
    But one wonderful thing of this world is that trackers notice these things and are adapting themselves to the new times.
    Now it´s really difficult to see a new site that uses plain ratio, and many many of the older are changing... helping users with bonuses, irc time, freeleech, points, movie of the week, of the month and of the 43 days, Gb free for those that post the biggest tits, etc. and almost every single site is looking for a way to compensate that fact (except BitMeTv).
    My advice, for those that like me can´t have a better connection: buy a big big... huge HD and don´t delete anything.
    Months ago if I wanted to upload I had to download a release as it was released, and then I had chances. Today I don´t even bother... I download with no hurry and wait... those with seedboxes and fat pipes don´t seed for much time, after 2 or 3 weeks is when users like me have our chance. Again, patience is the keyword.
    Minutes ago I was looking my uTorrent... I am seeding the first episode of Battlestar Galactica since it was released... in the last 2 weeks I uploaded more than 1,5 Gb (more uploaded than in 2 previous months)... my ratio on that torrent is 5+:1, right now there´s some guy who is grabbing several episodes of BSG from me at almost 100% of my upload speed, he is happy for sure, and imagine how do I feel.

What I try to say is that in the long term we all have our benefits thanks to overseeders.. amazing speeds when you download, and if you do things wisely, regular users will get very good ratios.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I think it is bad to some extent.

Last night for example, I forgot to limit one of my torrents and it went to 15.0 ratio. I removed it right away, but still no need for me to let that go so high.

Usually on popular sites with lots of members I try...try to limit it to 3-5 or so. Lately actually I have been stopping at 2.0 or even 1.0

Because sometimes I like to leech as well...so I need something to compensate for when I download a 100gb torrent to my home and barely get anyone to download it off me bc it was posted 9 months ago lol
    Last edited by fatcat69; 06-19-2008 at 04:51 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    The Wanderer's Avatar e pluribus unum
    I think overseeding it's a big problem. I have no problem with somebody who seeds a torrent to 1:10 over a period of 10 weeks, but I really don't like people selfish enough to have a 1:10 ratio over a period of 1 hour and keep seeding.

I usually stop my torrents when I reach 1:1.5 ratio and I resume seeding the next day after the interest for that torrent decreases.
    Live long and prosper.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    wevotedno's Avatar SeeD BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Raban View Post

Yeah right...

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by monk3y View Post
    Lately i've noticed that overseeding is as bad if not worst then HNR,

the reason is that people with 100/100 seedboxes get the file quick and start seeding and get to a 1:10 ratio and even higher and they doesn't let the other normal - home connection users seed the file to 1:1 ( which should be all users goal, and not 1:10 ratio ).

what is your opinion ?
    if there were not ppl with very fat pipes uploading you would download at the same speed as thepiratebay.

stop screaming and put all the fast ISP in your ip filter so you can be sure that you are doing something to help people with poor connections to upload... (enjoy the speed xD)

do something (ban the fast pipes from connecting to you) instead of talking blablabla... things changes doing something not with blablabla

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    monk3y's Avatar Pirate's Life for me BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat69 View Post
    I think it is bad to some extent.

Last night for example, I forgot to limit one of my torrents and it went to 15.0 ratio. I removed it right away, but still no need for me to let that go so high.

Usually on popular sites with lots of members I try...try to limit it to 3-5 or so. Lately actually I have been stopping at 2.0 or even 1.0

Because sometimes I like to leech as well...so I need something to compensate for when I download a 100gb torrent to my home and barely get anyone to download it off me bc it was posted 9 months ago lol
    you do have some big ratios on some sites from what i've seen, egoist.

j/k m8.

Do not pm me requesting for invites as i have none to spare
    Signature & Avatar Rules

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast