Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overheating Dual core with Ceramique

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Chame1eon View Post
    Moving the arm to the unlocked position causes the temperature to drop suddenly. locking it again causes it to jump.
    This just gets stranger and stranger.
    I think you need to try a different heatsink- the sooner, the better.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Chame1eon's Avatar Super Freak
    Thanks. I ended up ordering a new cooler from newegg. I know I should verify the problem first, but the only cooler I can borrow atm belongs to someone who doesn't seem to understand/want to know what the question is. It seems extremely unlikely that I could damage anything, but I can't imagine what else the problem could be, and I'm not sure what caused it in the first place.
    I only licked you for the salt

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by Chame1eon View Post
    Moving the arm to the unlocked position causes the temperature to drop suddenly. locking it again causes it to jump.
    Unlocking it makes it cooler??!! Ok I got it I know exactly what it is. Your rig is haunted! JK Jesus man I think it was a good idea to get a new cooler for it hopefully this will help you. Post back with the results. Good Luck

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I finally got my new cooler:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185044
    and my computer will run with cool'n'quiet keeping the processor at about 1Ghz, but even then the processor seems to stay at about 52 degrees which is slightly better than it was before.
    I can't figure this out
    Last edited by Chame1eon; 07-02-2008 at 05:01 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Are you serious!!? That cooler should keep you in the 30's at least. What kind of case do you have? Also what programs are you using to monitor the temps?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Could it be that your sensors are faulty? and also what detale said what programs are you using?

My name is Dan for the people who care!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I was trying to correlate the bios readings with speedfan. The temperatures for "cpu" and "core" are way off with cpu being cooler than "ambient", but "remote", whatever that is, seems to correlate really well with what the bois says and it increases when there is a load on the processor.
    Either way, if I try to do anything right now, like compress something with winrar, remote climbs slowly untill the pc spontainiously shuts off, so either the sensor the processor uses to determine when to shut itself off is wrong or, depending on what temperature it shuts off at, the bios readings are right and speedfan's remote is really close.
    The temperatures were high before, but not that high and I was assuming that the cpu used an internal guage to determine when to shut itself off, so I don't know how it could be faulty.
    Also after a high load it seems to take a long time to get back to the prior stable idle temperature which seems wierd to me.
    This:
    http://www.nzxt.com/products/trinity/
    is my case, but when I take the panel off the the temperature seems rise slightly, and according to "remote" even with a box fan in front of the case with the panel off the temperature got to 76 before I turned it off.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    OK wow well first let me say that I like the case alot looks cool, simple design. I would say it's not your case as it seems to have adequate air flow at a glance. The temps should rise a bit when the CPU is under load that is normal so don't sweat it. It should not however rise to cause the computer to shut off. This may seem a bit odd and might not help at all but have you tried resetting your Bios? or updating it to the latest one?

Another thing I just re-read your first post and you said "I ended up heating it up" meaning the CPU? I hope not my man because if so then I would imagine you cooked the processor and that would be the problem right away. I tried looking for a bios update for you but I can't seem to find one from Asus. You said it was manufactured for Compaq? Which compaq model did this come out of then?

Also try some different Temp reading programs like Everest and there are a few others out there too that the names escape me ATM
    Last edited by Detale; 07-04-2008 at 10:47 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Lol I heated the processor up by turning the computer on before I took the heat sink off, but I can see how that doesn't sound right

I updated the bios with the only available one I could find. Oddly everest always says that my processor is exactly 40 degrees celsius.
    Is it possible for the heat spreader to get warped or something?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I'm not sure what you mean by "heat spreader" but if the temp sticks then it could be a defect of your processor kind of like the Intel E8400 always has problems reporting temp's. The only thing is that your computer shuts off from the heat rising. Have you tried turning off the heat warning in bios? I mean that could be dangerous in that your rig may melt. I must admit here that I don't know much about AMD cpu's as I am an Intel man but I am going to look around and see what I can find.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast