Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Manufacturer Is Good For Video Cards?

i've owned a few Nvidia cards and a few ATI cards, and they're both excellent brands in my opinion. in general, Nvidia has usually had better drivers (more stable, fewer compatibility problems), but ATI have almost completely ditched their reputation for shoddy drivers over the past year or two.

i've run into a few very minor bugs in recent ATI driver releases, but to be fair i also remember a few particularly aggravating months when every Nvidia driver release was causing BSOD's galore due to the infamous nvdisp_4.dll bug (at the time, it seemed like they were NEVER going to fix that problem...).

ATI has traditionally had a better reputation than Nvidia for 2D display quality, and anti-aliasing & anisotropic filter quality. articles making screenshot comparisons seem to vouch for that. but i wouldn't say that Nvidia cards are poor, or anything.

if i had to give someone advice on which brand to buy, i'd just say that you should do some research on the features rather than just relying on benchmark test scores (since there isn't a huge difference in rendering speed between the two brands, when you compare their competing models).

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    if you are going to buy nvidia, get Gainward... they are top notch, and most of them allow for warrantied overclocks, which is very nice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12