Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Drugs Become Legal ?

Poster
    The more somebody hears something, the more they think it's true. In the case of commercials airing messages not to use too much marijuana, pepole will get the message in time. It is already socially unacceptible to smoke a cigarette, and pot smoking is a bit more unacceptible.

I am absolutely sure thet if it is legallised, there would be a law stating no smoking marijuana in public places, only in private homes or out where there is no children hanging around.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    Remember though that cigarettes are Not new and novel. They've been abused for centuries. If the same thing were to happen with marijuana because of new freedoms, I'd be frightened. To put it mildly.

I've seen what happens to people who think they know moderation. It's not at all pleasant.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by balamm@16 August 2003 - 16:38
    I've seen what happens to people who think they know moderation. It's not at all pleasant.
    I absolutely agree with you there. People can get addicted to some of the harder drugs and never become sober again. If people can become educated and learn more about the dangers of drugs and alcohol, then the problem will be less than most might expect. The people who are making our laws grew up in the 60s, when drugs like marijuana were used (and in some cases, abused). Those are the people who have the best overall opinion on the matter

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Cannabis is not physically addictive, it is no more harmful than tobacco and is less harmful than alcohol.

A tiny number of people will experience mental difficulties, paranoia etc, but these are temporary and besides this only occurs with extremely excessive usage.

Other reasons to legalise it are..

1. Free up police/court time.
    2. Free up prison space for violent offenders.
    3. Free non-violent offenders who shouldnt be in prison anyway.
    3. Raise more money through taxes for Gvt, healthcare, police etc etc

Now I'd like to deal with the "gateway drug" myth.

The reason its seen as a gateway drug is because kids have to go to gangsters to buy it. This leads them into a criminal underworld where harder drugs are available. Also, everyone I know started drinking before they started toking, so doesnt that make alcohol a gateway drug too?

If it were legalised, cannabis would be put into a social framework much in the same way that alcohol is today. It is seen as a bad/sad thing if you start drinking at 9:00am in the morning. I know some people who start smoking at that time and think nothing of it.

This leads us back to the paranoia issue. If it were legalised and socially acceptable people would be less likely to abuse it and cause themselves problems. A consensus of what constitutes use/abuse would be reached.

Also, I suspect that many of these mental problems are caused by the crap the criminals mix with cannabis resin. (plastic, rubber you name it). If it were legal, at least you would know what you're smoking. There's a parallel with US prohibition here too. Back then people ended up drinking all sorts of shit (meths etc) which had been mixed into normal alcohol and thus caused them severe health problems.

Would legalisation create more potheads? No.

There is a higher % of pot smokers in the UK compared to Holland. Considering Holland is also a more liberal culture that should put this 'legalisation= more potheads' myth to bed too.

Legalisation would destroy the black market; less money for criminals and less gang warfare. Cannabis is a huge market worth tens of millions every year. To the hardcore gangsters its well worth a few murders and plenty of beatings to corner the market.

Also people dont get violent because they're stoned. Walk through any city centre at 2:00am on a Saturday night and as your stepping round the patches of blood and vomit have a think about why our legal system(s) are so divorced from reality.

So.. lets stop wasting police/court time, lets stop locking up kids who arent real criminals, lets stop putting money in the gangsters pockets whilst they poison a relatively harmless and, in some cases, beneficial product.

The only people who are happy with the status quo are opportunistic (usually right wing) politicians, private prison companies, gangsters and tabloid newspapers.

Lets listen to the police who deal with this issue on the frontline every day. If you get caught with hash in the UK the police usually confiscate it and send you on your way. They know its harmless, they dont want to waste time on such a trivial issue and they dont want to saddle a decent person with a criminal record.

The above is taken from various personal experiences. Both mine and those of many other people I know.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Inevitable's Avatar Poster
    they should just make weed legal and ban the rest of the drugs.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by evilbagpuss@17 August 2003 - 02:13
    Cannabis is not physically addictive, it is no more harmful than tobacco and is less harmful than alcohol.

A tiny number of people will experience mental difficulties, paranoia etc, but these are temporary and besides this only occurs with extremely excessive usage.

Both of these statments are pure drivel.
    The problem with smoking dope is it makes you a dope. You haven't got the faculties left to reason out the effects. What seems normal to you is an illusion. You are not what you once were. And that also comes from personal experience. Mine and people who's lives I've seen destroyed by this crap.
    The effects are not temporary. They do diminish somewhat with time but the stigma for some will be permanent.

It may be that your experience is based on diluted goods.
    In British Columbia, the quality and potency has been genetically manipulated to the point where it could almost be considered a poison.
    It does in fact cause some people to be hospitalized.
    You can expect this problem to increase even more with decriminalisation or legalisation.
    There is just no stopping it.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Which drugs do you refer to when you ask "Will Drugs Become Legal."
    I left this open just as the article did. But...
    I see the pro's and con's of some drugs being legal. I also see it as a "catch 22".
    I admit that most of my life I have thought that pot should be legal. Now I guess
    I still do but for different reasons. I don't think people should be sent to jail for
    possession. If alcohol should be legal I think pot should be also. But I also have
    a problem with this kind of logic. Where does it stop. If you legalize pot why not
    cocaine? Why not prescription drugs? Why not the big H? One major difference
    would be that one drug can be Physically addictive (heroin) while the other can only be psychologically addictive (Marijuanna). It's hard for me to see any justifacation in the legalization of hard drugs on the one hand/on the other, the "war on drugs" does'nt seem to have made much of an impact on availability.
    Legalization would wipe out a significant amount of crime from organized to
    your corner dealer. Also drug related crimes, theft I assume would go down
    because of cheaper prices, while DUI'S would go up. .(just guessing on that).

edit: i dont want to give the impression that i am a toker, becuase i havent had a joint in my life. I would have a joint every few weeks if it were legal though. I would take it in moderation, like alcohol.
    By the legalization it could inadvertently send the message (especailly to youth)
    that its okay and exceptable to use.

Because marijuana is a concious-altering drug. We dont want politicians making decisions while high. Just a precaucion
    I would assume marijauna use would be handled just like alcohol. Not to be used before or during work hours, or when operarating a moving vehicle, etc.
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    what the heck?
    I tried to post could'nt, had to repost-but now I'm quoting myself.

fixed above reply/please ignore
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by balamm
    Both of these statments are pure drivel.
    I suggest you study the literature associated with this issue. I studied it at University recently as part of a neuropsychology module and I assure you, current medical knowledge (and personal experience) dictates that cannabis is not physically addictive.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    They should make it legal why???

becasue there will be less crime most ppl break ins and shit for drug money

make it legal then the idiots who want to take that shit can fuck up their body and die who gives a shit about them

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast