Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uk Broadband

Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    i use plus net, 24.99 a month. got a router and run it on 5pc's. only have to sign month to month contracts instead of being lumbered witha yearly one. no red letters yet, and i leave it on all day and night downloading.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Poster
    Does anyone have a 1mb link in uk? which isp? how do you find it?

what is bulldog like?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    just a little update, i ordered pipex about 2 minutes ago...now all i have to do is sit and wait (only another few weeks until the service comes...been waiting for a year and a half already)

@Enigma, for 1 meg, you should look into ntl or telewest cable
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    im on BT Broadband

no problems, i read about the 1 gig limit on the back of one of the letters
    i download sumtimes 2 gigs a day, most days over a gig and BT aint dun neting.

my advice though, dont get AOL broadband

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    iv been using freeserve now for about 5 months and have ha no problems with it what so ever, DONT GET AOL i now a friend whos got it and he says its toatal shit as it disconects him every 5 minutes, hes has to call there help line like 10 times a week because of problems with it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Poster
    Here are some tips when choosing a broadband ISP:
    1. Never go for companies such as BT, NTL, Telewest, AOHELL or Freeserve. They simply rip you off for an utter rubbish service.
    2. Choose a suitable speed, if you wish just to check your e-mail a 512Kbps service ought to be sufficient, if you plan power-using then opt for 1.024/2.048Mbps.

The one I&#39;m using at the moment is Gio Internet, they&#39;ve been around for a while, but in their hands they offer the cheapest 512/256Kbps ADSL service in the country for £18.99 (inc. VAT) per month. There are absoultely no cons such as port blocking/throttling/speed restriction and NO bandwidth limit. It&#39;s on 24/7/365 and the phone line is no longer tied up whilst surfing. And unlike AOHELL there is no crap software to install you simply purchase a modem, they give you the advanced information through the post and simply enter the modulation etc. into your modem and that&#39;s it&#33; As well as that Gio Internet have PeerCache enabled for maximum speed. It&#39;s £55 to activate the line and I purchased an advanced modem for £20, and that reminds me that they do not force you to purchase their hardware, and to top it off there is 5 complimentary POP3/SMTP e-mail addresses.

Take this into consideration, as they only force you into a 3 month contract rather than 12 like the other rubbish ISPs.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by Amarjit@20 August 2003 - 09:39
    Here are some tips when choosing a broadband ISP:
    1. Never go for companies such as BT, NTL, Telewest, AOHELL or Freeserve. They simply rip you off for an utter rubbish service.
    2. Choose a suitable speed, if you wish just to check your e-mail a 512Kbps service ought to be sufficient, if you plan power-using then opt for 1.024/2.048Mbps.
    i&#39;ve been using ntl broadband for about 6 months now and i&#39;ve had absolutly no problems withthe service, i&#39;ve had no problems with it disconecting or anything like that,

don&#39;t know why everyone hates them, but yes their dial-up service is complete wank

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@18 August 2003 - 12:49
    just a little update, i ordered pipex about 2 minutes ago...now all i have to do is sit and wait (only another few weeks until the service comes...been waiting for a year and a half already)

@Enigma, for 1 meg, you should look into ntl or telewest cable
    Is the delay because broadband is only just becoming available in your area ?
    I helped a friend of mine sign up the other day and it only took 3 days (excluding weekend) including modem delivery, but the area was already enabled.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Originally posted by lynx@20 August 2003 - 13:57
    Is the delay because broadband is only just becoming available in your area ?
    I helped a friend of mine sign up the other day and it only took 3 days (excluding weekend) including modem delivery, but the area was already enabled.
    yeah, i live in the middle of nowhere pretty much, so it&#39;s taken a long time for them to get around to updating the exchange...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    I am also using Giointerenet. I&#39;ve had it since June, with no problems.

At only £18.95 per/month, only £5 cheaper than the 56k connection I had.

£5 for a 10x increase in speed, and being able to use the phone at the same time, bargain.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast