Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How "safe" is Usenet

i wonder if someone has ever been harassed by majors for copyrights infringement after an upload on usenet.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I think only the search engines have been called into question. As far as I know, anyhow.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    The only ones that could be harassed are the actual server owners.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Double Agent
    I don't recall any news of ppl downloading on usenet being caught....

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Depends on where the server is located.

In the US, usenet servers have been under 'common carrier' laws and provisions for a VERY long time, just like the telcos (internet carriage by the cablecos is rather recent, and there is some question there as to common carrier status).

By saying that, they are completely immune to being sued, although there is some question as to DMCA provisions which may (and some parts of it already have) been found by the courts as going against the common carrier laws (over 150 years old).

In other words, just like the telcos can't be sued for 'carrying' 'perhaps' illegal messages (up to and including bomb threats, for instance), they can't be held accountable for anything else.

Now, IF they can obtain records, or 'tap' your line (another hazy part of the law in the US at present), is another thing. Obviously, if you use SSL, it's remote/impossible.

Some usenet server operations have been 'erroring on the side' of the DMCA, although again, it's 'hazy', and have erased files on nothing more than a 'takedown' letter from the *paa's. But that's just one server, and there are dozens.

I would venture to say that any server operations that 'gave up' the uploader (name, ip, etc) would be out of business the next day.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by james_bond_rulez View Post
    If I recall correctly, a DCP scanner got a DMCA notice and had his posting privileges revoked.

PS, Source: http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39476

That was back in 2007, with the advancements of SSL and other security measures, Usenet is probably the second safest form of getting Linux ISO's. First would be from FTP's with friends.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by james_bond_rulez View Post
    If I recall correctly, a DCP scanner got a DMCA notice and had his posting privileges revoked.

That was back in 2007, with the advancements of SSL and other security measures, Usenet is probably the second safest form of getting Linux ISO's. First would be from FTP's with friends.
    I agree with you.

Although, I have to mention that sometimes my friend's FTP is slow and getting Ubuntu off of Usenet is much quicker.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by link2009 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post

I agree with you.

Although, I have to mention that sometimes my friend's FTP is slow and getting Ubuntu off of Usenet is much quicker.
    Depends on the location of the server I guess, if you're throttled, how many 'friends' are sharing it etc.

Now I come to think about it, Usenet probably is the safest, with FTP's your IP is revealed in the log to the master.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Speedo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think you guys are safe for years to come. The law is barely understanding bittorrent, they are pretty stupid about it. No worries!

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Poster
    And most attention is seemingly on BT anyway. Nothing is absolutely safe, there's risks to all, but at least it is safer than most filesharing methods these days.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast