Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giganews Announces 240 DAYS of RETENTION!

Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Hopefully the NZB indexing sites will follow and up their lists to 240 days. Great news, giga.
    Now go away.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Connect to World BT Rep: +1
    Great News
    8 moths retention..@@
    -.ALWAYS SEED MORE AND MORE THAN DOWNLOD.-
    PU@(TL/BitMe)

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Hopefully the NZB indexing sites will follow and up their lists to 240 days. Great news, giga.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Am I missing some sort of raging clue.
    Now go away.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    What does "s/w" mean?
    S/W = software. I usually don't use abbreviations much if at all as I don't keep up with any (ANY) of the thumbtext things that folks have invented for 'texting' on cellphones. But I thought s/w and h/w was pretty much totally in the 'culture' for at least 30+ years, so I thought I'd be safe

I gage the relative cost of computers through the cost of HD space; others do it with the cost of RAM, but I've found it's too affected by world trade nonsense overall; h/w (hardware) as complex as hard drives with attendant technology, tends to disregard borders and such, and once it goes down the next level is extremely rare to go up in cost/price.

Like right now, I follow 1TB drives as a good benchmark. When they were first introduced some 3 years ago, cost was around 40 cents per Gigabyte, or $400/per drive.

It's now solidly down to around $180/per drive, or 18 cents. Just think if all the other commodities in your life fell at such a rate. Only if someone invented the 'replicators' like on Star Trek! Reality Intrudes!

I recently read that Seagate (along with others) are primed to release 1.5TB drives fairly soon; I knew that they had announced plans a bit ago to have a 'roadmap' of drive development with an eventual goal of around 5TB in a single 3.5" drive (multiplatter of course). All based on the perpendicular technology Seagate pioneered, and all sata interfaces.

Now, get those puppies down below $200 and you've got the makings of a revolution! DVRs/HTPC (Digital Video Recorders / Home Theater PCs) that you NEVER need to erase a program you've recorded, or Usenet Newsgroups that have insane retention rates (definitely text groups that NEVER lose any articles).

I've sure there is those who would see any of this as a real paradigm shift. And it is. Media sharing that never dies, for one. Hmm, sounds like torrents to me... haven't we been at this point before? will be the reaction from certain corners.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    There is one problem though. Everything takes up more space now than before. Movies: from 4.5GB (DVD) to 8-11GB (HD).
    It's the same with games too.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    There is one problem though. Everything takes up more space now than before. Movies: from 4.5GB (DVD) to 8-11GB (HD).
    It's the same with games too.
    Partially true, but the drive space (or conversly, the cost v. space ratio) has been galloping at several times the rate of the new means to 'eat it up'. Standard DVD's are 9gb, but Blu-Ray is 50GB and the way to 200GB is well planned. So yes, the 'new' formats (and remember, HD has been around for just shy of 15+ years in the professional world, just getting to us lowly peons now).

The first decent GB drive I bought I still have, a 30GB Maxtor. $300. For that amount of money, I could buy at least 1.5TB today, or 50 times as much storage. I don't think either the HD video or any games are 50 TIMES larger than they were 8 years ago.

So, you're on the right path, but the curve of the price/capacity is way steeper than the application(s) to fill them up. By quite a lot. Hang on!
    Last edited by Beck38; 07-13-2008 at 12:44 AM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Woo hoo! Very excited!

I searched for Ocean's Eleven 1080p and I only saw something that was about 220 days old .. I was pleasantly surprised. ^^
    Where did you see that? According to their site, it won't start until September.
    I've gotten posts up to 211 days through headers, guess it's not inconceivable that someone could get 220.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19

Cool

Awesome news Nice

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Woo hoo! Very excited!

I searched for Ocean's Eleven 1080p and I only saw something that was about 220 days old .. I was pleasantly surprised. ^^
    Where did you see that? According to their site, it won't start until September.
    I usually download the whole header, and in this case it was alt.binaries.hdtv.x264.

Think I'm lying?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast