Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I am going to come in my pants again

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I think there is added kudos if several mad things are believed before breakfast in some circles.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    I always get annoyed at young earth creationists and the like.

They give proper people a bad name.

Just because one believes in God doesn't mean one has to ignore perfectly good science.
    agreed

My name is Dan for the people who care!

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrabGirl View Post
    I've just come in my pants.
    But I'm talking complete schist

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Abiogenesis is an interesting subject but it is not actually Darwin's area of study. Origin of the Species deals with what happens after life has begun.

I thought Dawkins was pretty mellow compared to previous outings

It is true that he has an axe to grind but a quick visit to a young earth creationist site makes him sound like the very voice of reason.
    I don't think Dawkins really covered abiogenesis, he sort of started in the precambrian and then went on to explain how organisms evolved. The problem is, that would have been a really good starting point but as you say he is focusing on Darwin to disprove religion, and as a result the most important part - the origin of life, has fallen by the wayside. That's one of the biggest stumbling blocks people often have when being asked to believe that there was no creator. He's missed out on the chance to discuss it so he can dig up a dead man to lend more credibility to his dogma.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I can't stop thinking about all this, it's doing my head in

Why does life care so much if it survives or not.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Because it has to be all importantly, short-term, self-preserving by nature to survive. Or did.
    Now go away.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    But why?

There you are, a tiny blob of organic compounds in a bowl of primordial soup, why isn't that enough for you, why do you need to be any more than that

8. Lounge   -   #38
    It's all down to DNA Barbie.

You know, for instance, you find a woman's hips sexy? Well, you find them sexy because it helps your DNA reproduce. You're just the vehicle that carries them, and you are there to service them. Your body is just an elaborate vessel designed to preserve them. And it's not their fault, because the way they're constructed means they produce substances that interact with their environment. When they first arose and started producing those substances it made sense that the ones that produced substances that helped them perpetuate would be most successful. Life is basically a code that passively and inexorably evolves completely thoughtlessly. There is no point but to just be.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    It's all down to DNA Barbie.

You know, for instance, you find a woman's hips sexy? Well, you find them sexy because it helps your DNA reproduce. You're just the vehicle that carries them, and you are there to service them. Your body is just an elaborate vessel designed to preserve them. And it's not their fault, because the way they're constructed means they produce substances that interact with their environment. When they first arose and started producing those substances it made sense that the ones that produced substances that helped them perpetuate would be most successful. Life is basically a code that passively and inexorably evolves completely thoughtlessly. There is no point but to just be.
    that actually made sense to me, never thought of just being a car for my DNA brum brum

My name is Dan for the people who care!

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Makes you feel quite insignificant don't it?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast