Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do people like Newzbin so much?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post
    Never used Usenet ... I'm paying enough already to my ISP, and I'm not gonna subscribe to a payserver to get things I can get for free elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
    The second thought always follows the first. An opinion on something before even trying it.

Usenet is not for everyone. Some people, even after experimenting with it find that they would rather download content for free, but those are few and far between.

Usenet was around way before private BT trackers. It predates them by some twenty years and releases of apps, TV programs, and the latest films traditionally go to Usenet first. It's always been that way. Usenet and its numerous groups, has many, many more uploaders than any private torrent site.

Now I'm not saying that some BT trackers don't have uploaders that cap TV shows or crack programs and release them exclusively to the site but Usenet is the place for getting releases first. You have to know the right groups, of course, but once you've got your favorite groups entrenched in your newsreader of choice, you'll find everything you need and will be able to download it sooner and faster than if you relied on your private tracker.

There really is no comparison.

The existence of so many users shilling out much more cash than a news server would cost, for seedboxes is just plain foolish and a waste of money.

Anyhow, Newzbin is an indexing site, which a few years ago was a nice place (and still is), but now there are several great indexing sites and great search engines to boot, but people are still forking over money for Newzbin. I was just wondering if they had added some new features that I didn't know about and didn't have access to seeing as I don't pay.

yo

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Never used Usenet ... I'm paying enough already to my ISP, and I'm not gonna subscribe to a payserver to get things I can get for free elsewhere.

Just my opinion.
    The second thought always follows the first. An opinion on something before even trying it.

Usenet is not for everyone. Some people, even after experimenting with it find that they would rather download content for free, but those are few and far between.

Usenet was around way before private BT trackers. It predates them by some twenty years and releases of apps, TV programs, and the latest films traditionally go to Usenet first. It's always been that way. Usenet and its numerous groups, has many, many more uploaders than any private torrent site.

Now I'm not saying that some BT trackers don't have uploaders that cap TV shows or crack programs and release them exclusively to the site but Usenet is the place for getting releases first. You have to know the right groups, of course, but once you've got your favorite groups entrenched in your newsreader of choice, you'll find everything you need and will be able to download it sooner and faster than if you relied on your private tracker.

The existence of so many users shilling out much more cash than a news server would cost, for seedboxes is just plain foolish and a waste of money.

Anyhow, Newzbin is an indexing site, which a few years ago was a nice place (and still is), but now there are several great indexing sites and great search engines to boot, but people are still forking over money for Newzbin. I was just wondering if they had added some new features that I didn't know about and didn't have access to seeing as I don't pay.
    I do know what usenet is. I know it has been around much longer and I know a lot of things I look for in my native language is never or hardly released on any private BT-tracker, but is commonly released on usenet.

I have never payed a dime for a seedbox, and I would never do so. I have the misfortune my ISP has very shitty newsgroup-servers and I can't use it. Free servers exist but suck and as I said I believe I pay more than enough /month to my ISP (about € 61,00). It's a question of principles I guess.

Even if it would blow my mind away, i wouldn't be willing to pay extra for it. Call me cheap
    Can you feel the LOVE

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    I don't pay anything either, I'm a Usenet cheapskate:

Browse Newzbin on a free account to see what's available, get the free NZB elsewhere.

I use SABnzbd, a free downloader program.

Then download at my linespeed from my ISP's less than perfect news server, and there are a few free servers that fill in the missing pieces automatically, I don't notice this happening. Would my ISP care about excessive bandwidth use? I don't see how, it's in-network bandwidth from their own news server and I'd be a fool not to be resourceful and take advantage of files that are technically hosted by my own ISP, on their network.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    It's just another tool in the toolkit; I always buy a year at a time, during the holidays at the end of the year, at half price. So the total cost is pretty minimal.

A lot of it has to do with how much aggravation one is willing to tolerate. Kinda like dealing with news-servers other than Giganews, or paying the 'man' (Giganews) and being done with it. For years, I dealt with other providers (including ISP's) and spent time chasing fills and files all over the place; still have pieces of block accounts at various places that I'll probably never use, now that I 'bit the bullet' and pay Giganews.

It's about the same as the argument between torrents and newsgroups. Yep, most of the content anyones looking for is on the torrents. But after you've wasted your time digging for what you're looking for, had multiple attempts aborted due to the prime source you're d/l'ing from go off line, patching parts together, and MAYBE ending up with what you're chasing, you find that you could have gotten the same thing (or probably even better) simply by searching Usenet.

It comes down to how much, again, aggravation, one is willing to tolerate. I've been on Usenet for just about 15 years, tried torrents in the early days, and came back to Usenet. Simply, low aggravation.

That and Netflix. But heck, I still d/l headers, so that's how 'old school' I am, and I get lots of things that newzbin and all the indexing sites miss, period. So there's lots of stuff out there to be mined...

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Ahh Usenet V Torrents thing again.. lol! Sorry to posters but it is funny reading those posting in the NG forum they don't like usenet . Why do they come here they should be shackled to the BT threads.

Newzbin is a great resource cost a few squidleys but I only use this site, Merlins portal and binsearch for my NZB work these days. Call me old fashioned I like Forte Agent and downloading headers works for me. Treat newzbin like you would a music/DVD store. Use it for inspiration to download. Just don't pay for it! (unless absolutelly necessary of course )
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

6. Newsgroups   -   #16

I do know what usenet is. I know it has been around much longer and I know a lot of things I look for in my native language is never or hardly released on any private BT-tracker, but is commonly released on usenet.

I have never payed a dime for a seedbox, and I would never do so. I have the misfortune my ISP has very shitty newsgroup-servers and I can't use it. Free servers exist but suck and as I said I believe I pay more than enough /month to my ISP (about € 61,00). It's a question of principles I guess.

Even if it would blow my mind away, i wouldn't be willing to pay extra for it. Call me cheap
    I was thinking exactly like you before I gave it a try.

And boy was I wrong.... Private trackers don't even come close to usenet when it comes to content. Usenet has MUCH MORE to offer than all the private trackers mixed up together, and much more old content and language diversity. And most of all, you will hit max speed on everything you download, which is not the case with public trackers OR private trackers.

Now will you say "if you can't max out my connection on private trackers, then you have a bad tracker". Im a member of SCC and revTT, believe me, I DO hit max connection on 90% of the torrents, even with a very low amount of seeders. But 90% is not 100%, and believe me you will not find ALL you are looking for. Well, I almost can on revTT because of the AWESOME request system.

HOWEVER.... Where usenet wins easily VS torrents, is that you don't need to share ANYTHING on Usenet, which is a MAJOR PLUS for people who have limited transfers (my ISP gives me 100gb combined). If you use torrents, you will have to keep a good ratio in order to keep your account active. I know GFT doesn't require a ratio, but its new and it needs more time.

I signed up with astraweb for 11$ a month, and it is well worth it. I never need to go rent dvds or go to the cinema (unless I REALLY want to) and not keep a ratio wasting my bandwidth on a private tracker.

It is worth it

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad

Just my opinion.
    u will join us sooner or later
    Pimpn aint easy ®

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post

Just my opinion.
    u will join us sooner or later

he will, i did

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4

Just my opinion.
    And? The question was why do people like Newzbin so much. Not, why don't you use Usenet.

Anyways, I have no idea why people pay for Newzbin access. Sure, it's very little every month, but everything you can find there you can find for free on other search engines. It just doesn't make sense to me. Sites like NZB'srUs does the exact samething Newzbin does, but they don't charge you.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I pay because it's the best.
    simple enough....

Just like I pay more for giganews because it's the best.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast