Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Which linux distro do you run?

Fedora, currently running Fedora 16.
    So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.
    - Sun Tzu

2. Software & Hardware   -   #142
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    You, guys, should give FreeBSD a shot. It's completely usable as a desktop OS. Besides, it's a complete OS unlike Linux. I like the fact that there is a clear separation between the base system and any add-on application on FreeBSD. All apps that are not the part of the base system get installed into /usr/local directory. Things feel a lot more organized on FreeBSD than on Linux.
    I love FST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #143
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    You, guys, should give FreeBSD a shot. It's completely usable as a desktop OS. Besides, it's a complete OS unlike Linux. I like the fact that there is a clear separation between the base system and any add-on application on FreeBSD. All apps that are not the part of the base system get installed into /usr/local directory. Things feel a lot more organized on FreeBSD than on Linux.
    Except for the fact that developmental support is wank, and the people who use it are pretentious coders caring more about topology than usability, then yeah.
    Ellipses go here.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #144
    OlegL's Avatar Poster
    Okay, the majority of people who use Linux probably have nvidia cards installed. There is a native 64-bit nvidia driver for FreeBSD, which means that FreeBSD folks can use vdpau for their video acceleration purposes. Linux desktop users probably want to watch youtube videos, so if they want to do the same thing on FreeBSD, they can install the linux version of adobe flash or use an open-source flash alternative. I never used skype, but, as far as I know, it works fine on FreeBSD. Watching/recording TV with a USB tuner is also supported on FreeBSD. I don't know if FreeBSD supports many PCI TV tuners. The FreeBSD ports collection includes the latest versions of window managers and desktop environments.
    ...What else would a desktop user want to do?..
    So, let me say this again, FreeBSD is usable as a desktop OS.
    Last edited by OlegL; 11-28-2011 at 08:49 PM.
    I love FST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #145
    i usu ubuntu but i tried LinuxMint
    it is very impressive

6. Software & Hardware   -   #146
    I'm running Ubuntu on my vps, as a seedbox

7. Software & Hardware   -   #147
    Ubuntu 12.04 barely works. 10 series never gave me this much shit. Used to use it for everything but switched over to 7 for xsyon lmao

8. Software & Hardware   -   #148
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by drew4452862 View Post
    Ubuntu 12.04 barely works.
    "Barely works" is so heavily dependent on its use. Works fantastically for HTPC purposes.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #149
    Not currently running a Linux Distro at the moment. I have previously used Ubuntu though, if you are going to use it, I would suggest verion 12.04. I ran the newest one and it just isn't what I expected. Many distros out there though, always a different one to use, lol!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #150
    Nice sharing.I like this.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast