Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoi Americans

Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Obama has been going there for about 17 years or thereabouts.

He must be unelectable, Shirley.
    Only if they find your post.
    Now go away.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Do you think I've queered his pitch.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Do you think I've queered his pitch.

No. He did that himself.

"I know there are differences on same-sex marriage, but surely we can agree that our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters deserve to visit the person they love in the hospital and to live lives free of discrimination". Barack Obama
    Indeed.

-bd

4. Lounge   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    What's this all about.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64yKJhB528&NR=1[/youtube]
    What do you think, JP?

Obama got a pass in the mainstream media, and is today viewed by his fans in a messianic light.

Here's the whole clip, BTW, for proper context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMbeVQj6Lw

Methinks he's dwelling in the past, or has failed to notice how poorly democrat "solutions" are working...

EDIT-

As of today, there's also this:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09092008...dal_128142.htm
    Last edited by j2k4; 09-09-2008 at 10:32 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

The meaning really didn't change for me.

yo

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

The meaning really didn't change for me.
    Nor me, but.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Methinks he's dwelling in the past, or has failed to notice how poorly democrat "solutions" are working...
    What is this, Fantasyland?
    In 20 of the past 28 years there has been a Republican President.
    Republicans took over the House in 1995 and just lost it last year.
    Since 1981- the first year of Ronald Regan's administration- the ONLY President to show a federal surplus, and not coincidentally the ONLY Democrat, was Bill Clinton. Bush inherited a surplus and in eight years has driven us into a record deficit.

How is it that it Democrats are to blame for policies implemented by Republican leaders?
    Last edited by clocker; 09-10-2008 at 02:29 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    What is this, Fantasyland?
    In 20 of the past 28 years there has been a Republican President.
    Republicans took over the House in 1995 and just lost it last year.
    Since 1981- the first year of Ronald Regan's administration- the ONLY President to show a federal surplus, and not coincidentally the ONLY Democrat, was Bill Clinton. Bush inherited a surplus and in eight years has driven us into a record deficit.

How is it that it Democrats are to blame for policies implemented by Republican leaders?
    Not what I was talking about.

Think more in terms of affirmative action, or teacher's unions and inner-city schools.

Go back to LBJ's civil rights legislation, which (no one ever remembers to mention this) got more republican than democrat votes, even though republicans were in the minority.

More to the Reverend's point, you see; I don't recall his saying anything about budgets and such, and, if you like, you can bring up welfare reform, which was a relative success and a republican idea, but also signed into law by the self-same Bill Clinton who Wright was so enamored of.

So.

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #19
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Hi JP.

Looks to me, like that video was edited so as to exaggerate the contradictions in his statements(or apparent contradictions). I didn't follow the link for the full video, so I couldn't confirm that though.

But that aside, as far as Mr. Wright goes, he just got caught up in a furious storm we call american politics. Not to say he doesn't believe that way, or have those unhelpful attitudes towards non-black people. But that he, like most people, would do just about anything to get that "15 min. of fame". And he got it.

But at the expense of Obama.

There's something there, alright. But not anything that would cause me to not want to vote for him. Sure it would have been better for him to have gone to a different church, one that was less extreme in that sense(black power! oriented), but meh.... whatever. At least he went to a church at all, for that long.
    Last edited by MediaSlayer; 09-10-2008 at 03:44 PM.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by MediaSlayer View Post
    Hi JP.

Looks to me, like that video was edited so as to exaggerate the contradictions in his statements(or apparent contradictions). I didn't follow the link for the full video, so I couldn't confirm that though.

But that aside, as far as Mr. Wright goes, he just got caught up in a furious storm we call american politics. Not to say he doesn't believe that way, or have those unhelpful attitudes towards non-black people. But that he, like most people, would do just about anything to get that "15 min. of fame". And he got it.

But at the expense of Obama.

There's something there, alright. But not anything that would cause me to not want to vote for him. Sure it would have been better for him to have gone to a different church, one that was less extreme in that sense(black power! oriented), but meh.... whatever. At least he went to a church at all, for that long.
    Yo Dude

I just think that it was going to be hard enough for black man to be elected POTUS. This must if anything piss off the more moderate swing voters (if such thing exists in the USA) and swing them towards McCain. In other thoughts, might it bring more white supremacists out of the woodwork specifically to vote against him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast