Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dvd's Comming To An End?!~

yea i dont believe it. Other VOD systems have been tryed out & are very hard to matain. Besides I for one much rather be able to buy a movie & watch it any time then pay 50 cents to watch it once.....

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    I didn't buy a DVD player just for it to be replaced in 10 years time, and I simply won't buy premium TV or have an ISP that sends anything besides traditional cable over my already over-priced cable lines. The hell with lagging TV, if that crap lags my games and depreciates one of my few escapes from all of the annoying politics, violence, and war I will not rush out to buy it. The only reason I even have a TV is to watch the news, so I can get annoyed with the world, then play my FPS pretending that every frag eliminates a real terrorist, drug dealer, or MPAA/RIAA member.

Anyway, DVD's won't come to an end because nobody wants to see lag burst and compression distortion in low res video/audio after they just paid > $1000 for a HDTV and sound system. Even if DVD's do come to an end, it won't stop pirates, infact it might do the opposite of what they hoped for when everyone resorts to the internet to get away from their premium lag box and resort to something of decent quality.

Personally I don't see how they lose profits to pirates, or how they can even determine if they do. People whom I may or may not know usually see the movie in the theatre, download it, then buy it when it comes out. If movie companies expect people to pay theatre prices more than once then they are pretty stupid and should release the movie a week after it's been in the theater and not a year, then people will be able to buy it before they get someone to burn it onto a disk.

The movie industry needs to take off their handi-cap and money-skin boots and put on their thinking-cap.

WHY THE HELL DO DVD'S COST MORE THAN VHS'S ANYWAY?

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    you can get superbit dvds, dvds with the extras removed to make room for even better quality and audio....4.6 gigs of pure video and audio quality must be good

Saw an advert for them in Empire, had to read it twice

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    Originally posted by RGX@4 September 2003 - 10:59
    you can get superbit dvds, dvds with the extras removed to make room for even better quality and audio....4.6 gigs of pure video and audio quality must be good 

Saw an advert for them in Empire, had to read it twice
    you need to have a really nice, big television, to notice the difference.

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    I doubt this will happen at all.

6. Movies & TV   -   #16
    Poster
    I saw something similar to this a year or two ago on "Tomorrows World" they had a type of tv where you could select tv shows you missed or movies and stream them to your tv and demonstrated it.

I'm not sure of the details, or if it's the same thing, this just brought back that memory so thought i'd share.

7. Movies & TV   -   #17
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    ehh.. if you have adsl lagging woudlnt be a problem because you dont share like with a cable line. thats why i have adsl. its not as fast sometimes but its always the same speeed.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

8. Movies & TV   -   #18
    I remember hearing this about video tapes awhile back in the 90&#39;s,but they&#39;re still bringing new releases out on tape.
    I think it will be some time before this happens.
    &quot;Specs&quot;
    CPU:High,some say I&#39;m a legend in My own mind.
    Update&#33; Overclocked - Achieved Demi God statis.
    Ram:If she&#39;s ready, so am I.
    Hard drive:Ready for access,larger than average.
    Bus speed:Not as fast as My truck.

9. Movies & TV   -   #19
    Originally posted by mogadishu@5 September 2003 - 10:44
    ehh.. if you have adsl lagging woudlnt be a problem because you dont share like with a cable line. thats why i have adsl. its not as fast sometimes but its always the same speeed.
    i meant sharing WITHIN your house, not with your neighbors. many people own routers nowadays, so that they can connect more than one computer to the internet, or game consoles, or any other electronics that use internet connections.

for example: one house with an ADSL connection may use a router to connect a PC, a Playstation/Xbox, and another device to the internet simultaneously. add a streaming video service to that, and there&#39;s definitely going to be lag.

personally, i think a video-on-demand service may become successful in the future, since it is essentially pay-per-view without a concrete schedule. but it would most likely be based on cable/satellite, rather than internet. the internet just doesn&#39;t provide the sort of reliability that&#39;s required, for a service like video-on-demand. and even then, i doubt that it would replace home video formats like DVD and its successors, because home video is still hugely profitable and it will continue to be for many years.

10. Movies & TV   -   #20
    Poster
    Simply Don&#39;t support it and it will fade. Buy a couple of extra cd&#39;s each year, don;t support the new product. Unless the rippers find an advantage to using it. Tell all p2p users not to support it and it will die off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast