Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading To Xp

DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    ahhh, boyzeee and BabyGeniuses just contradicted each other - who's right?

but MediaSlayer just brought up a good point, i have a small collection of DOS games I like to come back to every now and again - will they have zero compatibility with NTFS?
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    hmmm i think you on about the networking thang, dunno about the server point but my mate lives in a student house and they all on a home network so they can use the net and my mates on xp/ntfs and his is the main unit, another is on win me/fat32 and accesses the net and printer thru mates pc and connection and the other guy in running win2k/ntfs and accesses thru him aswell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    NTFS is good but when u want to format ur pc u must use bootable windows setup and throw setup there will be format option and full format is better

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    i think i'll stick with FAT - NTFS doen't seem to offer any real advantages, and just brings up a few problems

what's the difference with full and quick format anyways? I suppose I should have asked that in the first place

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Don't do an upgrade. Do a clean install. Use NTFS. You can do a quick format if you are sure you drive is in good condition.

You can network fine between the two filesystems.

All it means is that if you have a dual boot system with one partition that is NTFS and the other FAT32 then you won't be able to access the NTFS partiton while you are running your OS within a FAT32. It's not the same the other way around though. You can access a FAT32 partition while running in NTFS.

The chances of you needing to access a NTFS from within a FAT32 are quite slim.

Also your DOS games will still work.

Edited to add: The conditions needed for you to encounter the access problem would have to be from within one computer. In other words, it's not a problem though a network.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@7 September 2003 - 22:43
    Also your DOS games will still work.
    That's good to hear - I think I'll go for NTFS now, it seems to have a few advantages and no real disadvantages

didn't mean to confuse anyone with the title - but I'm not upgrading, i just meant I'm changing OS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12