Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can Music Files Have Virus?

ruf885s
    I don't know if it's possible. But a few days a go some thing turned all my folders on the drive I keep my music into something like ______.file or something like that. It was about 2 Gig's which was the size of all the folders of music I burned to my HD. All the MP3 files that were not in a folder seemed to be left alone.
    All I remember is I downloaded like 4 songs then turned my computer off. The next day something didn't seem right. I tried to do a Scan disk on the drive and it didn't work, that’s when I noticed the strange file and my folders missing.
    Was unable to move or delete the file. Only thing could do was reformat the Drive.

So I cant really say where I got it from, but when I got my new HD I partitioned a 10 gig spot for music, so only music files when here, and this problem only happened on this drive. And only noticed it after I downloaded those 4 songs.

So if anyone ever experienced something like this could you let me know what it was?

thx

2. Music   -   #22
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000+6 September 2003 - 22:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MadDog-2000 &#064; 6 September 2003 - 22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Inevitable@6 September 2003 - 12:32
    No music files can&#39;t have viruses because it&#39;s an mp3 extension. Only EXE extentions have viruses in them.
    I hate to disappoint you guys but mp3s can actually contain viral code. But since an mp3 file is not an executible or an intepreted script file it can not do any harm to your PC. However, the viral code can be executed by a program/virus/trojan horse that has already been installed/infected your system. Don&#39;t forget that mp3s can and do contain ID and Meta Tag information, which can contain the viral code but it is unable to do any harm by itself.

There are also a bunch of executed and intepreted files that, if activated/opened will infect your system. Some of these executed or intepreted files incluse:

*.exe -> Standard Windows executible
    *.msi -> Microsoft Windows Installer Package
    *.msp -> Microsoft Windows Installer Pacth
    *.bat -> Batch file which is intepreted by the system
    *.vbs -> Visual Basic Script which is interpreted
    *vbe -> Visual Basic Encoded Script
    *.sct -> Windows Script component
    *.html -> HyperText ducuments can contain bad code (JavaScript)
    *.htm -> HyperText ducuments can contain bad code (JavaScript)
    *.scr -> Screen Saver file which basically is a compiled program
    *.tga -> Targa Image file which can contain scripting
    *.inf -> Setup Information file which can contain bad code
    *.js -> Java script which is intepreted by the Java Virtual Machine
    *.jse -> Java script which is intepreted by the Java Virtual Machine
    *.key -> Registry entry which can contain bad code
    *.reg -> Registry entry which can contain bad code

There are a few more I think but that&#39;s all I can remember for now. Eh, and every Microsft Office Document because those can have Macro viruses. So... be afraid, be very afraid&#33; [/b][/quote]
    i agree, files with .mp3 extensions can contain macro code that the Windows or RealNetwork media players will interpret and run.

3. Music   -   #23
    you can bind a virus with a mp3 file, but it makes it an exe but when you click the file the virus will run and so will the song.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123