Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Intel Vs. Amd

lynx's Avatar .
    How about just comparing performance, then clock speeds are unimportant. If your computer has a speed of 400Mhz, but it outperforms mine with 20Ghz, are you going to tell me that mine is better in some ways? I don't think so, unless of course mine costs half the price.

That's what it's all about, performance/price. The ONLY exception is when one produces a chip with performance that the other just cannot match.

Edit: it doesn't even matter if one calls it a 5000+ and its performance compares to the oppositions 3000, the cheaper one is better, so even names don't matter.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #82
    ok..i may be a little out of sync here since i didn't read this thread from post one...but here goes.

FSB is often more important then clock speed [one reason being you can overclock ]. FSB speeds are the speeds at which the different devices inside the pc communicate and if this is not good enough speed, it serves as a bottleneck to the actual performance of the devices. as for the caches [l1, l2] they are also important bacause they provide info [for lack of a better word] beforehand so whatever device is asking the processor for some processed instruction doesn't have to wait. [noob, so pardon me for not using technical words] example, intel is gonna make special edition P4s with a lot more cache [3mb but not sure].

all in all, cache and fsb dictate the decision over clock speed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #83
    Poster
    caches and FSB goes to intel. The AMDs are still running a 400mhz front side bus to Intels 833mhz.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #84
    Originally posted by theprisoner@22 September 2003 - 00:05
    caches and FSB goes to intel. The AMDs are still running a 400mhz front side bus to Intels 833mhz.
    800MHz fsb on top Pentiums, no?

also, isn't it a testament to amd that they can be so close to Intel's performance with half the fsb...?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #85
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by theprisoner@21 September 2003 - 19:05
    Yeah, I thought it was only 800..............

But Matrix guy, very nice post, alot of comparison factors, which evened and leveled out the playing field nicely for proper comparison.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #86
    Poster
    I do want to factor in FSB, but I&#39;m not exactly sure how I&#39;d go about it. Maybe just a separate comparison: <number> <unit>/FSB MHz ?

But I think AMD would absolutely destroy Intel in a comparison like that, and I don&#39;t think it&#39;s quite accurate.

Hmm... sample...

Intel: 533MHz (yes, the one in this comparison is only 533MHz)
    AMD: 400MHz

OpenGL Benchmarks (1024x768 / 32 bit / 85Hz)
    Intel: 351.3 FPS
    AMD: 311.2 FPS

Intel = 0.66 FPS/FSB MHz
    AMD = 0.78 FPS/FSB MHz
    Yeah... AMD would probably just end up with a higher score.

I dunno, though. Someone out there has to have done a similar, but more complete comparison. I wish I could find it, though.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #87
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Ya know...after six pages I think it still comes down to "How much money have you got?".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #88
    i agree with clocker...in the end it boils down to the depth of your pocket and your personal preference.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #89
    Poster
    I will likely stay with AMD due to the price difference. I can&#39;t justify spending 2-3X as much for an intel that is in my opinion not much if it is at all better.
    Just my 2 cents worth though as I am by no means as knowledgable as some of the others in this forum.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789