Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: need help with hosting-ie

oh alrite.. i dont have any experience with hosting-ie :-D

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    profound.
    Go Leafs Go.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    mike160's Avatar Old School
    @ puckface well i ask them for a windows vps and also on the account details they email me has a login password and user name for remote desktop management console so i would think that they setup a windows vps for me

edit : i was reading this guide from microsoft on how to get started using remote desktop with windows xp http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx

and i notice that on step 4 were it saying click the remote tab select the allow users to connect remotely to this computer check box and then click ok i dont have that option on my computer all i see is the remote assistance option but notthing at the bottom like there pictures
    Last edited by mike160; 11-11-2008 at 03:34 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Mike,

I know quite a bit about Window Servers, but only physical servers that I have physical control of. I have not ever used a windows server at a webhost, or used a VPS account at a webhost.

I'm telling you that so that you will understand that the information that I am giving you is general in nature, but hopefully it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by mike160 View Post
    .... i notice that on step 4 were it saying click the remote tab select the allow users to connect remotely to this computer check box and then click ok i dont have that option on my computer all i see is the remote assistance option but nothing at the bottom like there pictures
    1) This does not apply to you. This is what someone would do on the server in order to make it so that someone could connect to it. The reason that you don't have that tab is that you have Windows XP Home instead of Windows XP Pro, but that is unrelated to the problem you are having.

2) Are you trying to get to the server via IP address, or via a server name?

3) If you really have tried this 15 times, it's possible that the account is locked. Windows allows you to set how many invalid login attempts occur before a lockout occurs and how long the lockout lasts. Perhaps some of your documentation will answer that for you.

4) Depending on how the server is setup, you may have just a username, or you may have a domain\username combination. If you have both a username and a domain, enter them as domain\username.

5) Although there are several things that could be going on, since you are being prompted for a password, there are three main possibilites.

a) You are reaching the wrong server. Perhaps they have given you the wrong IP address or name, or perhaps you are entering incorrectly, or perhaps they didn't set something up properly on their end and the packets are ending up going to the wrong server. It's also possible that the IP address contains a port number which you are not entering.

b) You are reaching the right server. In that case, either you are typing in the username or password wrong, or your account is locked, or your account is set up improperly.

c) It's possible (but not too likely) that some security software on your end is messing up the communications. While you are testing this, please disable everything like Norton, AVG, etc.

I would suggest carefully re-reading the welcome message again and look for any small thing that you might have missed. You could also open a ticket with them and have them give you exact instructions for accessing your server. Since it would be written differently than in the welcome email, perhaps it will highlight what is wrong.

All in all, since hosting-ie is a professional company, it's most likely that it's a problem on your end.
    Last edited by itsme2003; 11-11-2008 at 08:53 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Did you happen to ping the Ip address?
    It may not be online.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    mr.Dman whats is ping the Ip address and @ itsme2003 2) Are you trying to get to the server via IP address, or via a server name i am trying to get to the server via ip address with the windows xp home using remote desktop i wanted to ask whats a domain
    Last edited by mike160; 11-12-2008 at 03:12 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    ^ to ping.. go to start > run and write "ping IP-ADDRESS of your server", without the " "... if it goes through, it means you server is online..

2) you have to connect from remote desktop using the IP address.. and where does it asks you to write the domain ??=S
    Last edited by ahsan; 11-12-2008 at 03:45 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    ping IP-ADDRESS went through so i guess its online but i still cant get in the server
    Last edited by mike160; 11-13-2008 at 04:00 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster
    Maby ask them for a new password ?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    thats what i am trying to do but its been about 4 days that i open a ticket at there site and they have not got back to me yet
    Last edited by mike160; 11-13-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast