Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Windows Vista

db_la_23's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    use windows Xp w Sp3.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by colombianino View Post
    my opinion, don't get vista unless you want errors, on labtops is a pain, on desktops it should be fine but you'll likely run into an error one day.
    You'll likely run into an error with any version of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by db_la_23 View Post
    use windows Xp w Sp3.
    Thank you for such an erudite post.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    Hey all..

Got my new PC the other day and installed Vista 32Bit on it, only to figure out it doesn't use the 4GB of RAM I bought, only 3 of them.. Was wondering if it's worth upgrading to 64Bit...
    If you have "access" to a 64 bit version then sure, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by tralalala
    On top of that, is it possible to simple upgrade the 32Bit to 64Bit, or do I have to reformat the OS drive and start from completely scratch again?

Reformat.
    Since the PC is brand new it shouldn't be that big a deal.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    One day someone will explain to me the advantage of using a 64 bit O/S . I have the hardware , 4 gig of memory and the patience to tinker .

Just never saw a difference from 32 bit .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    I will only need to reformat the drive I'm installing to right? I have 2HDD's. One with the OS and programs I've already installed, and one with literally everything else on it.. How much of a hassle is it to install the 64Bit version?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Yes, only the OS-resident drive need be formatted.
    You won't see ANY difference installing the 64bit version...it installs/looks identical to it's bit-challenged brother.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Well that was a fucking waste of time.. The USB Wi-Fi adapter I have doesn't work on 64Bit Vista.. In fact I was told by tech-support that I'm lucky it even worked on the 32Bit version.. The LAN card isn't working wither (even after downloading the most updated driver from the internet on the laptop which says it works on 64Bit), so, basically, my main thoughts after installing the 64Bit version of Vista is - Stay away and use the 32Bit as long as you can.. Too many issues

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Did you ask "tech support" why it is they haven't managed to get their hardware to work with a mainstream OS yet?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Probably because like a lot of hardware makers, at least the smaller ones, they decided it wasn't worth the time/effort to support Vista, much less it's even less common 64-bit cousin. The same thing happened once manufactures realized windows ME wasn't going to take off either. And much like ME, Vista has a more popular previous version (98se/XP), and a much more promising replacement (XP/7)

Not saying it's right, cause it's not, but that's how it tends to work. It's also the same reason you don't see a lot of Manufacturer released linux drivers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12