Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dupe accounts

sheriff 01's Avatar Safety First! BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    another one that i already discussed privately with the staff is the nick changing policy.
    i can understand that sometimes people want to change their nick, but a problem arises when you have BT reps around here.
    theoretically they are bound to that specific user, with that nickname etc etc.

what is happening is that some change nick (to keep their postcount), hide their BT rep past, and voila, here they are fresh as new to start over, but with enough post count so that in giveaway they aren't considered newbs.

in all my honesty, i think that changing the current policies towards dupe accounts, possibility of hiding the bt rep and nick changing would solve a lot of the lack of trust that is in order here.

i can open three separate polls to see what the members think, but first i would like to ask the staff if i should/could do it, and then further discuss it there.
    waiting in anticipation for those polls!

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    I am against both(change nick and 2 accounts)if there was a poll.

Did not know you can change site nick also.

I think staff here and verified BT staff should have those options ONLY!

Detale- if i am going to far with this, please let me know?

It would be more friendly-honest that way, i think.?

another one that i already discussed privately with the staff is the nick changing policy.
    i can understand that sometimes people want to change their nick, but a problem arises when you have BT reps around here.

what is happening is that some change nick (to keep their postcount), hide their BT rep past, and voila, here they are fresh as new to start over, but with enough post count so that in giveaway they aren't considered newbs.

in all my honesty, i think that changing the current policies towards dupe accounts, possibility of hiding the bt rep and nick changing would solve a lot of the lack of trust that is in order here.

i can open three separate polls to see what the members think, but first i would like to ask the staff if i should/could do it, and then further discuss it there.
    Last edited by pone44; 11-20-2008 at 08:14 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    BANNED BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Seriously if they have any type of cleanup script in place it would be quite easy to have the system automatically clear the dupe accounts itself. They wouldnt even need anyone to manually check them.I dont think it matters much if people have dupe accounts here anyways. If they are using a dupe nick to fool you and trick you into doing stuff they can and already do it on a single nick anyways im sure... and get away with it.Are there any measures put in place to acctually stop users from having 2 accounts with access to the bt section? I have yet to see anyone complain about not having access to the bt section on the account. If you have access to limit certain forums like that then thats pretty cool.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    ukgenius's Avatar Genius :) BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I think it is terrible that some people have 2 accounts. I don't mean to be stupid, but isn't there a way that the IP address can be banned?

And about changing nicknames, I think it is ok but only in certain situations. For example I changed my nickname because it was the same as the nicknames I had on some trackers!

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    if you take away the trade section , why worry about dupe accounts

thats your answer

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Call me crazy but I like to have a clear idea who I'm talking to.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by pone44 View Post
    I am against both(change nick and 2 accounts)if there was a poll.

Did not know you can change site nick also.

I think staff here and verified BT staff should have those options ONLY!

Detale- if i am going to far with this, please let me know?

It would be more friendly-honest that way, i think.?

Too far?? With what? Speak your minds this is your forum as much as mine. As far a the nick change thing though sure the nick changes but the posts remain exactly the same so if you check the persons post history you can see that it is the same person with a new nick.

Quote Originally Posted by anoneemuse View Post
    if you take away the trade section , why worry about dupe accounts

thats your answer
    Wow helpful and on topic, thanks for the meaningful and helpful post

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    I think if you don't participate in invite giveaways/trading on this forum, then dupe accounts shouldn't affect you. I don't think staff are exactly aggressive against dupe accounts, but if it's mentioned in a thread I'm sure they investigate it.

Catching dupe accounts isn't so black and white either. Most people are competent enough to know how to use proxies, so it's harder to detect and prove duplicate accounts.

I think the policy of two dupe accounts both accessing the invite/trade forum being disallowed is plenty enough. If you're one of the people who participates in trading/invite giveaways, then you should already be skeptical, so just consider this another reason to be skeptical.

they didn't built Rome in one day

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Call me crazy but I like to have a clear idea who I'm talking to.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Another helpful one eh. Easy on the spam buddy, Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast