Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uploading - Distrubution Or Not

what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    yes I knwo its ilegal by law but there alot of away which can be argued as to why it shouldn't be

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Double Agent
    listen, the laws are man made. And like a lot of stuff man made, the law has flaws.

It'd be interesting to see how this one plays out.

I personally like to see the things as they are now. I dont know what the dumbass lawmakers in the US are gonna come up with in the future but I like the way things are now.

I mean you get stuff for free on the internet, not on website, but in p2p programs like kazaa and emule. yeah it's illegal but we are all bunch of p2p die-hards. who gives a shit? only the companies do

legal or not? I think it all involves MONEY. You take my money...ILLEGAL.

America wants to help Iraq?? NOOOOOOO.. She wants Iraqi OIL. Illegal? YES

so what's legal what's illegal, depends on how you see it. But it's all about money nowsdays

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    CD/ CD-RW's lkike dvd players and vcrs have legitimte use but can abused. because they can be used that doesn't mean they should be aoutlawed.

"ok then whats the difference with inviting a friend over and getting them to listen to it ??"

the difference is you are not physically distributing copyrighted material(allowing uploads, selling bootlegs) that you're unlicensed to.

"None"

Just showed there is.

"also I was told you cant even back up your own mp3s"

"thats what Im saying shoping centres for example have to pay licene just to play the radio same with a taxi driver what im saying is whats the difference between downlaoding uploading it ?? you still listen to it???

they pay for a license for a right to broadcast. you don't. listening to it is not the question. uploading copyrighted material is unlicensed distribution of materials you have no rights or license to. downloading is the equivalent of walking into a store and walking out without paying.

"so what the music industry is saying is radio is ilegal we dont pay for radio?"

as you said they have a licencse to play it so it can't be illegal. no one is going to sit around taping off the radio all day. people do it but it does not damage the industry. though in the 80's the riaa did have a campaign against taping off the radio as id the mpaa concerning vcrs.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Originally posted by slick nick@10 September 2003 - 17:13
    as you said they have a licencse to play it so it can't be illegal. no one is going to sit around taping off the radio all day. people do it but it does not damage the industry.
    But some mp3s are ripped of the radio & as it's true you might not sit there ALL day taping off the radio if I couldn't find the song I wanted on mp3 & it was on the radio then yes I may record it.

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    when the majority are radio rips there may be some creedence to that but we all know most of it is cd ripped stuff. radio recording is not going to ever outdue filesharing.

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+10 September 2003 - 09:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez &#064; 10 September 2003 - 09:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Hogster@10 September 2003 - 12:46
    thats what Im saying shoping centres for example have to pay licene just to play the radio same with a taxi driver what im saying is whats the difference between downlaoding uploading it ?? you still listen to it???

so what the music industry is saying is radio is ilegal we dont pay for radio?
    man the US is fucked

I dont know it works down the states but in Canada it&#39;s like I said

radio is a broadcasting service, NOT a paid subscription. Anyone with a radio can listen to it. Even restaurants in Canada can put music on to its customers and without paying shit to the radio. Illegal? i dont think so

but if you think about stealing satellite signals, if you buy one of those "special" chips and receive the signals illegally, is the satellite company doing anything illegal? i dont think so (but a lot of people in Canada steal satellite signal, illegal? yes, but does government give a shit? no, but does Balamm give a shit? yes )

so what i am saying is each situation is different. i am just saying that downloading and uploading pirated music are illegal. And uploading pirated mp3 IS like making CDs of the original copy and "distribute" it to everyone. By copyping the file into your shared directory you make it available for download and thus constitutes illegal distribution.[/b][/quote]The whole reason why restaurants not paying a license fee to play the radio is BECOMING ILLEGAL has everything to do with power, corruption, greed, and self-destructiveness and nothing to do with what&#39;s good for the consumers, the economy, or the very industries (in the long run) that want such suicidal laws.

File-sharing of copyrighted material is illegal, but it shouldn&#39;t be ...due to the losses of freedom of the press and even freedom of speech needed to prevent it.

Copyright is actually a misnomer, it&#39;s not a right at all&#33; It&#39;s a PRIVILEGE granted for a limited time by the government to an artist or company, unlike RIGHTS which are not granted by the government and DO NOT expire. Those copyright &#39;limited times&#39; have been extended without either public debate or public vote or public support. Extra stipulations (end-user&#39;s licensing agreements: the devil&#39;s in the details) have been tacked on, which reduces what manners of use by the consumers of the materials are deemed &#39;legal&#39; by the creater/seller.

There are Kazaa viruses which turn on sharing in Kazaa/Kazaa Lite, thus probably making everything downloaded into the default download directory shared -- as well as sharing themselves from a hidden directory. (c:&#092;windows&#092;cache32 or c:&#092;windows&#092;scache32 -- if those directories exist, YOUR COMPUTER IS PROBABLY INFECTED&#33 They are brutally common -- I estimate over 1 million computers have been infected by them.

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Originally posted by Switeck@10 September 2003 - 23:02

There are Kazaa viruses which turn on sharing in Kazaa/Kazaa Lite, thus probably making everything downloaded into the default download directory shared -- as well as sharing themselves from a hidden directory. (c:&#092;windows&#092;cache32 or c:&#092;windows&#092;scache32 -- if those directories exist, YOUR COMPUTER IS PROBABLY INFECTED&#33 They are brutally common -- I estimate over 1 million computers have been infected by them.
    Yes I had it, was a bitch to get rid off
    ....but that was like over a year ago.

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Originally posted by loz+10 September 2003 - 23:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (loz @ 10 September 2003 - 23:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@10 September 2003 - 23:02

....but that was like over a year ago. [/b][/quote]
    Really? That&#39;s the perfect defense - "Your Honor, a virus infected my computer and shared those files".

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    Poster
    Originally posted by DasScoot+10 September 2003 - 19:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DasScoot &#064; 10 September 2003 - 19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by loz@10 September 2003 - 23:07
    <!--QuoteBegin-Switeck
    @10 September 2003 - 23:02

There are Kazaa viruses which turn on sharing in Kazaa/Kazaa Lite, thus probably making everything downloaded into the default download directory share
    ....but that was like over a year ago.
    Really? That&#39;s the perfect defense - "Your Honor, a virus infected my computer and shared those files".[/b][/quote]I think it was Klez or Nimda that was sending out infector emails which also grabbed a random text document from the infected and attached it to the email. More than 1 corporation lost &#39;corporate secrets&#39; due to these &#39;insignificant&#39; annoyances.

Althouh both are over a year old now, both are STILL in the top 20 most common viruses &#39;in the wild&#39; right now.

The Kazaa virus I&#39;m familiar with briefly got into the TOP 5 of most common viruses in the last 3 months and it&#39;s also in the top 20.

Do a search on KL++ for "BearShare 5.1.1.exe" or "Ad-Aware 6.5.exe" -- those are just 2 of the fake names the virus uses to spread...

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    waht they shoudl do is make file sharing legal but only ilegal if you sell it

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast