Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cd Burner Questions

lynx's Avatar .
    Doesn't sound like it is a Lite-On, the latest Lite-On offering is 52x32x52x, I can't see that TDK would go for a poorer performance drive at a higher price.

I think it is simply that they have licensed Lite-On's SMART-BURN technology, which is an alternative to Sanyo's BURN-PROOF offering (and there's at least one other but I can't remember any other names).

Interestingly, my Dvd burner has SMART-BURN technology, my Cd burner has BURN-PROOF, and I find that if I am hammering the hard drive while burning a cd, the BURN-PROOF seems to resume it's burning much better. In fact, when burning a Dvd, the SMART-BURN often seems to cut in when it is not necessary, which leads to extended burn times.

Edit: LG=Samsung, they completely stuffed my brother with one of their earlier combo drives, firmware problems which they never resolved in the model he got, only the model after. By the time he found out they weren't going to fix it, the warranty had expired. None of my family (and there are a lot of us) will buy LG or Samsung ever again.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@9 September 2003 - 15:31
    Doesn't sound like it is a Lite-On, the latest Lite-On offering is 52x32x52x, I can't see that TDK would go for a poorer performance drive at a higher price.

I think it is simply that they have licensed Lite-On's SMART-BURN technology, which is an alternative to Sanyo's BURN-PROOF offering (and there's at least one other but I can't remember any other names).

Interestingly, my Dvd burner has SMART-BURN technology, my Cd burner has BURN-PROOF, and I find that if I am hammering the hard drive while burning a cd, the BURN-PROOF seems to resume it's burning much better. In fact, when burning a Dvd, the SMART-BURN often seems to cut in when it is not necessary, which leads to extended burn times.

Edit: LG=Samsung, they completely stuffed my brother with one of their earlier combo drives, firmware problems which they never resolved in the model he got, only the model after. By the time he found out they weren't going to fix it, the warranty had expired. None of my family (and there are a lot of us) will buy LG or Samsung ever again.
    Well,I have an LG burner.I have had it for about 8 months now and have had no problems, I also have a Samsung 80 gig hard drive, no probs with that either.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    BANNED
    yea get a lite-on...i bought a 48x24x48 and it works like a charm...but heres the trick to buyin a new burner...

no matter what brand you are buyin.....remember that it SHOULD support BUFFER UNDERRUN.... this is REALLY important...

a liteon is about 60 bucks...and its my best bet with burners (i also got an lb 12x8x32).... so gl buyin it

DWk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12