Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Delicate Is An External Hardrive

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    or you could buy a standard ide drive, and a usb bay for it, ill go look for what u would need

edit: i found what u need, its a 3.5" external case, http://www.dabs.com quicklink 2CB3WS

its int the uk, but gives u an idea what to look for.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by toddiscool+9 September 2003 - 08:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (toddiscool @ 9 September 2003 - 08:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@9 September 2003 - 16:06
    then if you need to increase the capacity you can open it up, remove the existing drive and fit a larger one, internally they have a standard IDE hdd.

Really? i did not know that, I do not know why I thought they would be so diffrent but never immagine it would be as easy as swapping. Wow. [/b][/quote]
    yeah but if they have the OS installed on that HDD you&#39;d have to reinstall the OS when u install the new HDD an Extrenal HDD seems like the best idea just carry it in a cusioned bag

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by Livy@9 September 2003 - 16:14
    or you could buy a standard ide drive, and a usb bay for it, ill go look for what u would need

edit: i found what u need, its a 3.5" external case, http://www.dabs.com quicklink 2CB3WS

its int the uk, but gives u an idea what to look for.
    Would i need an adapter?

just a joke, remember that IBM commercial. For some reason i thought that was the funniest commercial ever, prolly the only one though.

seriously though I will check that out aswell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    im not exactly sure what u would need,
    the hdd will slot right in and close it, then u will prob need a usb cable, not sure about a power cable though, but my guess may be yes.

edit: what is the most storage she will need at one time, as you may be cheaper with a 256mb/512mb usb drive and backing up on pc?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Livy@9 September 2003 - 16:48
    im not exactly sure what u would need,
    the hdd will slot right in and close it, then u will prob need a usb cable, not sure about a power cable though, but my guess may be yes.

That adapter part was a joke. clearly a bad one, you know in the uk, need an adapter. God internet humor is not possible for me.

edit: what is the most storage she will need at one time, as you may be cheaper with a 256mb/512mb usb drive and backing up on pc?
    I know that she is gonna be doing video editing, but the teatcher does not what he is talking about. Ever taken a remedial computer course in college. The most frustrating thing, god i have stories but anyway. He can not answer the question i send her with, he is an idiot.

Backing up on Pc - you can save a mac file on a pc with no probs right, obviously just not use it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i would think so yeah. shouldnt be a prob backing up, i mean u can go download a mac file of the internet so why not from a usb drive.
    i thought u meant an adaotrer for the drive bay, doh&#33;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    I would imagine you would need to format any drive as fat/fat32 to be compatible across systems, but other than that i can&#39;t foresee any problems.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by lynx@9 September 2003 - 17:23
    I would imagine you would need to format any drive as fat/fat32 to be compatible across systems, but other than that i can&#39;t foresee any problems.
    Good advice, again thanks.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Umm, you said she was doing video editing, but they have Flash drives that can be as big as 512MB that I know of, and U can always get a IBM 1GB microdrive, with alittle reader that you can slip it in, and it acts like a reagular USB mini flash drive.

But the HD thing does seem like a fine option, if she is going to need to carry about a bunch of files totaling over 1GB.

So yeah, if you are in the US, U can get a 80GB hard drive for about 85 dollars, and an external thingy to put it in for about 20, I believe.

Im going to check on that for you, i will post some links for stuff in a bit.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    okay, well, here is what your looking at.

External Enclosure USB 2.0 HD Case 31.99 Dollars.

WD 80GB 7200 RPM HD 72.50 Dollars

And just in case you were wondering,

A 120 HD= 92 Dollars
    A 160 HD = 139 Dollars.

So, you can get an external hard drive, 80GB, with enclosure for under 110 Dollars, including shipping.

Any other quesitons?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast