Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have to trust FST staff while trading?

luckyman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    hé proud anti-trading, it's for you, just for you
    This is not a pro-trading manifesto. It is a look at the correlation between ‘traders’ and ‘inviters’, and the overall impact on private trackers, their members and torrent forums.

Through the eyes of a private tracker, there’s really no discerning difference between trading an invitation, or by simply giving it away (publicly) to someone who asks - the fact is, either way it’s against tracker rules. While most reputable "Tracker Invite" sites & forums have now opted to go ‘anti-trading’ in recent times, ‘invite giveaways’ are as popular as ever. But is there really that much of a difference between the two?

Trading vs Giveaways - The Same Thing?

Picture this: I go to a tracker invite forum, and post a giveaway offer. Say, for example, a user called “Mister994″ asks me for my offered invite. Now, Mister994 is a very active member on those forums, so I don’t hesitate to give it away to him. Not only that, but similar to me, he also offers giveaways on a consistent basis. Now, two minutes later, I go into one of his GA threads, and ask HIM for an invite that he’s currently offering. Certainly, he gives it to me, not only because I just invited him to one of my private trackers, but because I’m also a valuable active member. Now, wasn’t this entire two-way transaction just a big fat trade, cleverly disguised as two separate giveaways?! In essence, it amounted to the exact same thing. And it happens all the time.
    Trading: A Form Of Currency

One negative connotation associated with trading can easily be summed up by the general consensus that it is, indeed, a form of currency. And since trackers are (usually) non-profit for the purpose of free information, invitations to them are not to be sold (aka. traded) in any way, shape or form. Having said that, many trackers turn a blind eye to invites being so freely swapped and handed out, as it’s a form of publicity that generates new members - new members who may eventually donate to the tracker, or become upstanding denizens. Other trackers, such as What.cd and SaveTheCoratee have aggressively taken the stance of keeping their invites out of such torrent forums - regardless of trade or giveaway. These trackers have come to be known as No-movement trackers.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    hé proud anti-trading, it's for you, just for you
    This is not a pro-trading manifesto. It is a look at the correlation between ‘traders’ and ‘inviters’, and the overall impact on private trackers, their members and torrent forums.

Through the eyes of a private tracker, there’s really no discerning difference between trading an invitation, or by simply giving it away (publicly) to someone who asks - the fact is, either way it’s against tracker rules. While most reputable "Tracker Invite" sites & forums have now opted to go ‘anti-trading’ in recent times, ‘invite giveaways’ are as popular as ever. But is there really that much of a difference between the two?

Trading vs Giveaways - The Same Thing?

Picture this: I go to a tracker invite forum, and post a giveaway offer. Say, for example, a user called “Mister994″ asks me for my offered invite. Now, Mister994 is a very active member on those forums, so I don’t hesitate to give it away to him. Not only that, but similar to me, he also offers giveaways on a consistent basis. Now, two minutes later, I go into one of his GA threads, and ask HIM for an invite that he’s currently offering. Certainly, he gives it to me, not only because I just invited him to one of my private trackers, but because I’m also a valuable active member. Now, wasn’t this entire two-way transaction just a big fat trade, cleverly disguised as two separate giveaways?! In essence, it amounted to the exact same thing. And it happens all the time.
    Trading: A Form Of Currency

One negative connotation associated with trading can easily be summed up by the general consensus that it is, indeed, a form of currency. And since trackers are (usually) non-profit for the purpose of free information, invitations to them are not to be sold (aka. traded) in any way, shape or form. Having said that, many trackers turn a blind eye to invites being so freely swapped and handed out, as it’s a form of publicity that generates new members - new members who may eventually donate to the tracker, or become upstanding denizens. Other trackers, such as What.cd and SaveTheCoratee have aggressively taken the stance of keeping their invites out of such torrent forums - regardless of trade or giveaway. These trackers have come to be known as No-movement trackers.
    Only if someone gives a shit abt wat you post ..
    Traders will Trade period .. Invite Forums will exist no matter what you do .. In the end they will only become more l33t like the trackers with strict invitation only entree .. So while the lecture was pretty good it makes no sense to blabber it on a public Board ..
    Only Actions matter ..

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Giveaways are time-delayed trades. You give because you expect something in return in the near future. In the same currency.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 12-01-2008 at 06:35 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Giveaways are time-delayed trades. You give because you expect something in return in the near future. In the same currency.
    Really? I thought it was the whole concept of Sharing is caring that came into the picture when thinking abt invite giveaways..
    you share your invites and others share theirs .. But obs i was wrong and have seen the error of ways .. But i hope giving the TTi seedhours is acceptable?
    Last edited by apextwin146; 12-01-2008 at 06:44 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    c'mon, you are no naive here.
    you know very well that in 90% of the cases here, users do giveaways to gain higher bt rep, so that when it's their turn to request, they expect to be served.

there are exceptions, but this is the rule around here.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Did u ever try to delve in to the fact y this rule has been around since the inception of invite giveaways?

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    which rule do u refer to ? i think i didn't catch your point.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    The rule that says the higher Bt Reps get their Higher revel requests filled in ?
    Say GuitarHero,sweetiepie et all?
    Why do u think the whole Barter system evolved?
    Would the members here trust a guy with no reps ? No reps is interpreted more in a waty of not being able to share, not having the appropiate knwoledge of the BT world etc you will get the point now so i dont need to elaborate more this sytem ..
    Or simply wat u said
    "users do giveaways to gain higher bt rep, so that when it's their turn to request, they expect to be served.
    "

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    bumrocks's Avatar Poster Roaster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by puckface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bumrocks View Post
    Well, as much as I wish they did report IPs, it is highly unlikely. Why would they allow trading if they were going to report it...You answered your question as you asked it. Would be a trap and it would have been sniffed out long before your crappy post.
    A crappy post quoting a crappy post about a crappy post.

Anyway, unless someone is a real dick I'm guessing they don't report IP's. Or if just just plain old don't like someone maybe.
    And I guess this post was less crappy than mine?! Thank you for your wiseness oh anti anti-trader!

So now we have a crappy post quoting a crappy post that talks about a crappy post...Now I need you to stoop to my level and make an equally or more crappy post so that this may continue...Hmmm? Lending to the crappidity of this post...If puckface and I had a gay lovechild I would name him Bumpuck Facepants. Yeah, that's it...Perfect crap achieved...

Back to topic...

To answer your question..."Do we have to trust FST stuff while trading?"

No you don't. Just like you don't have to be a member here. Trade somewhere else if that is your thing.
    Anal is the only form of birth control shown to be 100% effective. Even abstinence failed once.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by apextwin146 View Post
    The rule that says the higher Bt Reps get their Higher revel requests filled in ?
    Say GuitarHero,sweetiepie et all?
    Why do u think the whole Barter system evolved?
    Would the members here trust a guy with no reps ? No reps is interpreted more in a waty of not being able to share, not having the appropiate knwoledge of the BT world etc you will get the point now so i dont need to elaborate more this sytem ..
    Or simply wat u said
    "users do giveaways to gain higher bt rep, so that when it's their turn to request, they expect to be served.
    "
    i'm talking about the hidden agendas behind those giveaways.
    it's a trade, not in the traditional way, if you prefer to consider like that, but at an expectation level.

u give = high bt rep = more chances to get the "i dream of" invite in return later when they go ask.
    people trade their invites that they give for a +1 rep, to get in return something.

That's what i was referring to. (i never expected that sentence to become consensual ).

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast