Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12 Year Old Sued!

Double Agent
    Originally posted by Dapadipz@9 September 2003 - 17:35
    The music industry has turned its big legal guns on Internet music-swappers - including a 12-year-old Upper West Side girl who thought downloading songs was fun.

Brianna LaHara said she was frightened to learn she was among the hundreds of people sued yesterday by giant music companies in federal courts around the country. "I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna said last night at the city Housing Authority apartment on West 84th Street where she lives with her mom and her 9-year-old brother.

"I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

Brianna's mom, Sylvia Torres, said the lawsuit was "a total shock." "My daughter was on the verge of tears when she found out about this," Torres said.

The family signed up for the Kazaa music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge.

Usually, they listen to songs without recording them. "There's a lot of music there, but we just listen to it and let it go," Torres said.
    so what's next for the RIAA? molest a little baby?

it comes as no suprise at all

2. File Sharing   -   #12

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    umm I ike how they use the word sue no one will ever be able to pay the fines let alone a 12 year old girl they will get nowhere

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    wormless's Avatar Beauty
    the parents will have2 pay her fine,how is it fun downloadin music?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    What Judge does the AA intend on getting that will actually Fine and hold her parents responsible?? That would be a real career ender. In addition this is also an all time low for Sharman Networks, their scum stinls as bad as the AA does, since I'm guessing this is the new KaZaaPlus perhaps, though maybe not.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    i live in ny.. this story was on the cover of the daily news and the post.. good coverage.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Originally posted by ploink@10 September 2003 - 05:39
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/0...ment/index.html
    LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A day after being sued for illegally sharing music files through the Internet, a 12-year-old girl has settled with the Recording Industry Association of America.

She&#39;s the first of 261 defendants to settle their lawsuits with the association.

Brianna LaHara agreed Tuesday to pay &#036;2,000, or about &#036;2 per song she allegedly shared.

"I am sorry for what I have done," LaHara said. "I love music and don&#39;t want to hurt the artists I love."

The suit claimed LaHara had been offering more than 1,000 songs on the Internet, using the Kazaa file-sharing service.

The RIAA said it was pleased with the settlement. There are 260 cases still pending.

"We&#39;re trying to send a strong message that you are not anonymous when you participate in peer-to-peer file-sharing and that the illegal distribution of copyrighted music has consequences," said Mitch Bainwol, RIAA chairman and chief executive officer. "And as this case illustrates, parents need to be aware of what their children are doing on their computers."

Monday, RIAA filed lawsuits against 261 individual Internet music file-sharers and announced an amnesty program for most people who admit they illegally shared music files through the Internet. The amnesty would only offer protection for songs represented by the RIAA and not from publishers, musicians or others with rights to songs.
    Will we ever see what is to come from a trial.
    Will everone settle leaving this whole thing as rather still questionable...

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    You didn&#39;t expect the kid to be the one to fight them, did you?

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    god i mean pick on someone your own size.. she wasnt even have intent.. go after one of us.. we share on purpose. go after me mr. sherman.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Grow up. Stop thinking the RIAA is the devil. You can give me all the reasons you want, but stealing is stealing. I dont care how you look at it. Sence when do we not have copyright laws?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast