Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +2
    Workprints are funny before we see the movie in theater's eheheh

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    Byzantium's Avatar Member
    I saw this recently and wasn't all too impressed.

I thought they could have done a better job storywise and stayed a bit more canonical. Could have developed some of the side characters a little more as well. The action wasn't too bad though. I did enjoy Wolvy's "I'm the best at what I do" quote

3. Movies & TV   -   #33
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Painful .
    If anyone actually thinks that this a good movie then I can only assume that they must never have seen any truly good movies from which to draw any comparisons.
    Either that or they belong to that special subclass of semi-retards who believe that professional wrestling is high drama.

Comic book movies should never take themselves too seriously(see epic fail of Watchmen),but then again they shouldn't be this lazy or stupid either.

4. Movies & TV   -   #34
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ah was n't so bad Idoleyes , just a incense to print money . When is the next installment out ? Magneto is the next one I think .

5. Movies & TV   -   #35
    No it wasn't that bad but being "not bad" hardly qualifies it as being good
    The movie was both totally lacking in ambition and stupid to the extreme .Besides that almost every character in it was an extremely unlikable ,underdrawn cartoon.

Maybe if there had been a sliver of originality or a shred of honest human emotion in it I could have been able overlook it's shortcomings .
    But there wasn't and I won't.

In my mind X-Men Origins is on a par with recent films like PoTC:At World's End (Geez I remember when that series was actually good),Live Free or Die Hard(Geez I remember when that series was actually great)etc etc etc .Stick a label on it ,get some untalented Yes Man director to throw in a bunch of (been done better before) special effects and wait for the money to role in .

Until the day that people stop settling for mediocre bullshit like this , what incentive is there for the powers that be to ever give us anything else?
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 04-10-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: can't speell

6. Movies & TV   -   #36
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    No it wasn't that bad but being "not bad" hardly qualifies it as being good
    The movie was both totally lacking in ambition and stupid to the extreme .Besides that almost every character in it was an extremely unlikable ,underdrawn cartoon.
    Just so.

For me, not being a comic book fan, the biggest problem with films of the genre is the laziness of the screenwriters/directors.
    They assume that the audience is steeped in the backstory (the "canon"), which leaves them free to merely sketch in a story, confident that the fans will fill in the gaps.
    As long as they hew to the details- the more obscure, the better- they can count on the fanbase audience to fill in the character development and story while they concentrate on flashy setpiece scenes.

This is why I consider Iron Man (and to a lesser extent The Dark Knight) to be paragons of the genre.
    Prior to seeing the movie, I had absolutely no exposure to Iron Man but the movie was so coherent and concise that I had no trouble immersing myself in the story.
    I'm sure that true fans , knowing the canon backwards and forwards, gleaned more than I from it but I didn't feel excluded from the fun.

From a purist's point of view, I'd love to see a superhero movie that was created from whole cloth, one that had no supporting, pre-existing comic book history, thus forcing the creators to provide all the story with no preconceptions.

Won't happen of course, but I'd go see it.
    Which is more than I can say about X-Men Origins which, at this point, I can't even be bothered to pirate.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Movies & TV   -   #37
    very good movie but its not even finished yet

8. Movies & TV   -   #38
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Not that I needed any written evidence, but your honest patience (to sit through the bloody thing) and testimony has sealed the deal for me Idol.

I agree with the comments being put forth here btw. (#34, #36)

So Watchmen wasn't all that Idol? Apparently it's all the rage, like that Marley & Me torture.

9. Movies & TV   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Cow View Post
    So Watchmen wasn't all that Idol? Apparently it's all the rage, like that Marley & Me torture.
    Ask chalice (if you dare).
    The difference between the book(s) and the film can be likened to the difference between someone having a good singing voice and someone being a great artist.
    On paper they might both be hitting the same notes but one is investing it with emotion and nuance that the other is incapable of.
    Or more succinctly as skizo might say "All hat and no cattle"

In the case of both Watchmen and Marley and Me-read the books.

Mallin Ackerman is one serious piece of.... though .So as banal as Watchmen may be it still gets one digit up from me.

10. Movies & TV   -   #40
    Poster
    This looks sweet.. might actually pay to see this one

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast