Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Good free Usenet servers?

The free ones were nice while they lasted, too much downtime to be worth the hassle now considering good pay servers are ~$10/month now or less.

2. Newsgroups   -   #32
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    The free ones were nice while they lasted, too much downtime to be worth the hassle now considering good pay servers are ~$10/month now or less.
    But that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. They're all down or is this my ISP blocking access?

I've seen a lot of people even on this thread stating that free servers are unstable (which I agree) but the thing is that since 1st August all of them seem to be down for me, any time of the day

How do I know if that's my ISP blocking access or not?

These are the command lines I'm running on the batch after setting up the IPv6 tunnel on Hurricane:

Code:
    netsh interface portproxy add v4tov6 listenport=1119  connectaddress=news.ipv6.eweka.nl connectport=119
    netsh interface portproxy add v4tov6 listenport=1118 connectaddress=newszilla6.xs4all.nl connectport=119
    netsh interface portproxy add v4tov6 listenport=1117 connectaddress=reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl connectport=119
    This always worked fine for me, I just run those commands and them set GrabIt! to 127.0.0.1 on ports 1117, 1118 & 1119. But now it just doesn't work anymore.

3. Newsgroups   -   #33
    The ipv6 has been working, all 3 are working for me at the moment. xsnews was down for several days but has started working again.
    Did you check your IP address whatismyipv6.net ?
    If that looks fine, then tracert news.ipv6.eweka.nl to see if/where there is a network issue.

4. Newsgroups   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by freealta View Post
    The ipv6 has been working, all 3 are working for me at the moment. xsnews was down for several days but has started working again.
    Did you check your IP address whatismyipv6.net ?
    If that looks fine, then tracert news.ipv6.eweka.nl to see if/where there is a network issue.
    Hi there freealta, thanks for the answer.

Here's what, when I get to http://whatismyipv6.net/ it's told me that I'm currently on a IPv4 connection

That's really confusing since I have a Hurricane tunnel currently on and running with my own IP, the exact same way as I used to get access to those Usenet servers

What's the matter?

5. Newsgroups   -   #35
    Well, I found out why it's not working.

My ISP simply blocked port 119 from one day to another without telling anyone and they've already stated that's a permanent set.

DAMN!!

6. Newsgroups   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by VBart View Post

My ISP simply blocked port 119 from one day to another without telling anyone and they've already stated that's a permanent set.

DAMN!!
    What ISP?

7. Newsgroups   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post

DAMN!!
    What ISP?
    It's a brazilian ISP known an Net Virtua.

8. Newsgroups   -   #38
    It's a brazilian ISP known an Net Virtua.
    Interesting for them to complete block a port like that. Well I guess you have two options..
    1) Switch ISP
    2) Get a pay server, so you can use alternate/SSL ports

9. Newsgroups   -   #39
    Yeah, I see. Do you know if there are any free servers that offer SSL?

I would like to make a test before signing up a paid service.

10. Newsgroups   -   #40
    Yeah, I see. Do you know if there are any free servers that offer SSL?

I would like to make a test before signing up a paid service.
    Many providers give you free trials, alternatively just get a small block account for a few dollars from blocknews or somewhere with SSL accounts and try it that way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234