Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel & Palestine

BANNED
    The Balfour Declaration

Arabs never tire of repeating, with some historical justification, that many of the ills of the modern Middle East can be laid at the door of the British and their imperialist double-dealing. The most criminal act, according to the Arabs, was the so-called Balfour Declaration.

The declaration that gave Britain's backing for the establishment of a national homeland in Palestine had a curious origin. A leading émigré Zionist who found himself teaching chemistry at Manchester University during the First World War was Chaim Weizmann. By 1916, Britain was running out of natural acetone needed to make ammunition for the Western Front.

Weizmann was put in touch with the British Prime Minister Lloyd George and was hired to find an artificial substitute, which he rapidly did, ending the nightmare prospect that Britain could lose the war for lack of bullets.

The declaration of the foreign secretary Lord Balfour that was to follow on November 2, 1917 was, at least in part, a reward for Weizmann's enterprise.

It also served to encourage Jewish American backing for the US entry into the war at a time when many in America were isolationist. It's worth quoting in full:

"His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country."

All well and good. The trouble was, the British made overlapping commitments to the Arabs as a way of getting them to support the war against the Turks. When the Turks were defeated, Britain went back on its word to the Arabs and divided the region up between itself and France.

They finally pulled out in 1948, leaving the Arabs and the Jews to fight it out amongst themselves.

http://www.megastories.com/mideast/glossar...ary/balfour.htm

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    BANNED
    Lenni BRENNER
    ZIONISM IN THE AGE OF DICTATORS

Chapter 26
    THE STERN GANG
    Until Begin's election victory in l977, most pro-Zionist historians dismissed Revisionism as the fanatic fringe of Zionism; certainly the more extreme 'Stern Gang', as their enemies called Avraham Stern's Fighters for the Freedom of Israel, were looked upon as of more interest to the psychiatrist than the political scientist. However, opinion toward Begin had to change when he came to power, and when he eventually appointed Yitzhak Shamir as his Foreign Minister it was quietly received, although Shamir had been operations commander of the Stern Gang.

The full text: http://www.codoh.com/zionweb/zizad/zizad26.html

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    At the time of World War I the area was ruled by the Turkish Ottoman empire. Turkish control ended when Arab forces backed by Britain drove out the Ottomans.

Britain occupied the region at the end of the war in 1918 and was assigned as the mandatory power by the League of Nations on 25 April 1920.

During this period of change, three key pledges were made.

In 1916 the British Commissioner in Egypt, Sir Henry McMahon, had promised the Arab leadership post-war independence for former Ottoman Arab provinces.

However, at the same time, the secret Sykes-Picot Agreement between war victors, Britain and France, divided the region under their joint control.

Then in 1917, the British Foreign Minister Arthur Balfour committed Britain to work towards “the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people”, in a letter to leading Zionist Lord Rothschild. It became known as the Balfour Declaration.
    Britain never really had any intention of handing over independance to the Arab leadership, but bear in mind that this was at a time when secret treaties and double dealing were dominant in European international politics and that France also pushed for their part of the region.

Britain, which had ruled Palestine since 1920, handed over responsibility for solving the Zionist-Arab problem to the UN in 1947.

The territory was plagued with chronic unrest pitting native Arabs against Jewish immigrants (who now made up about a third the population, owning about 6% of the land). The situation had become more critical with the displacement of hundreds of thousands of Jews fleeing the Nazi persecution in Europe. Some six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust during World War II.

The UN set up a special committee which recommended splitting the territory into separate Jewish and Palestinian states. Palestinian representatives, known as the Arab Higher Committee, rejected the proposal; their counterparts in the Jewish Agency accepted it.

The partition plan gave 56.47% of Palestine to the Jewish state and 43.53% to the Arab state, with an international enclave around Jerusalem. On 29 November 1947, 33 countries of the UN General Assembly voted for partition, 13 voted against and 10 abstained. The plan, which was rejected by the Palestinians, was never implemented.

Britain announced its intention to terminate its Palestine mandate on 15 May 1948 but hostilities broke out before the date arrived.

The death of British soldiers in the conflict made the continuing presence in Palestine deeply unpopular in Britain. In addition, the British resented American pressure to allow in more Jewish refugees - a sign of growing US suport for Zionism.

Both Arab and Jewish sides prepared for the coming confrontation by mobilising forces. The first "clearing" operations were conducted against Palestinian villages by Jewish forces in December.

Six-Day War: Before the war
    From 1948 to 1967, the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, was ruled by Jordan. During this period, the Gaza Strip was under Egyptian military administration. Israeli troops captured Egypt's Sinai peninsula during the 1956 British, French and Israeli military campaign in response to the nationalisation of the Suez Canal. The Israelis subsequently withdrew and were replaced with a UN force. In 1967, Egypt ordered the UN troops out and blocked Israeli shipping routes - adding to already high levels of tension between Israel and its neighbours.

Six-Day War: After the war
    In a pre-emptive attack on Egypt that drew Syria and Jordan into a regional war in 1967, Israel made massive territorial gains capturing the West Bank, Gaza Strip, Golan Heights and the Sinai Peninsula up to the Suez Canal. The principle of land-for-peace that has formed the basis of Arab-Israeli negotiations is based on Israel giving up land won in the 1967 war in return for peace deals recognising Israeli borders and its right to security. The Sinai Peninsula was returned to Egypt as part of the 1979 peace deal with Israel.
    I think the Israeli's see the land they have gained in the 1967 war as being their best bargaining chip and rely on it in all negotiations, they are unlikely to give it away easily.

Another problem is that of East Jerusalem which has many of the holiest sites for both religions, under pre 1967 borders it would be part of Palestine and the Palestinians (like the Israelis) wish to make it part of their capital. I think it must remain an international city as the UN declared it to be, however, access to the religious sites it contains and the inevitable turmoil that will be present in the area make East Jerusalem one of the worst long term problems in the peace process (IMO).

Edit: Source for quotes BBC news website.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Anyone interested in the pre-second world war and the British betrayal of the arabs in this area should read 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom' written by T E Lawrence(of Arabia).
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    I would like to see a resolution to the conflict in Palestine.

I want Israel to immediately cease their terror campaign against innocent civilians.

I want Israel to withdraw back to pre 1967 borders, and take the settlers with them.

I want Hamas, and whoever else is doing it, to cease the suicide bombings.
    I'd say, if U.S. "departed" from the area, all these things would come naturally...

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    How would these things come about naturally?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    BANNED
    I'd say, if U.S. "departed" from the area, all these things would come naturally...
    How would these things come about naturally?
    I don't believe it would come about naturally if the US left.

I don't believe it would lead to war either.

I still say the key to peace is Israel, they hold the cards, it's time to deal them out.

The question is, does the United States have the courage to tell Israel they will cut all financial ties if they don't comply with United Nation's resolutions.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    I don't believe that Israel would have continued that debate well over 50 years if it wasn't for the external support. I also believe that if Palestinians were given their soil back things would have calmed down, not peace, but calming down.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    So if america withdrew its financial support, Israel would dismantle all its settlements and remove thousands of its citizens from land they now claim as home? Would those citizens comply?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    In time... (it's not that it's unjust or anything, is it?)

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast