Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel & Palestine

lynx's Avatar .
    I understand what you are saying SnnY, but you have to remember that a lot of the land on the West Bank is not capable of sustaining high levels of cultivation, and the areas which were not being offered back (remember it is Palestinian land in the first place) were the prime sites before occupation.

It is also unfair to say that the Israeli's made the desert bloom while the Arabs had failed to do the same despite centuries in the area. It is only with modern technology funded by massive investment from abroad which has made this possible, the technology was not available when occupied by the Arabs, and where the Arabs still reside there is no massive inward investment.

If you lease a piece of land, any improvements you make belong to the <s>leaseholder</s> freeholder when the lease expires, any detrimental effects have to be made good. Surely the same applies to the return of occupied land, no-one was forced to improve the land.

Edit: correction as RF&#39;s post below, I meant you are no longer the leaseholder so improvements don&#39;t belong to you.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    If you lease a piece of land, any improvements you make belong to the leaseholder when the lease expires, any detrimental effects have to be made good. Surely the same applies to the return of occupied land, no-one was forced to improve the land.
    Depends on the countries Law...however generally.

Improvements belong to the Freeholder, when the lease expires....as the Leaseholder has no further interest in the land.

Land is generally defined as everything above and below the land, including mineral rights and buildings, unless specifically excuded by national law.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sorry, I meant the freeholder, wrong terminology.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    I&#39;m sorry I&#39;m not discussing the same topic in the topic, but I wanted to comment on the first post.
    American authorities are selfish and greedy. Bush just found the reason to attack Iraq on his desk. Because he did it for the oil, everyone knows that. That Saddam Hussein was ruling there was just a good thing to him.

People in general are greedy (not all of us, ofcourse) look what happened in Israël.
    Abbas was really doing his best to make it work between his people, the US and Israël.
    Hamas and the Israelian authorities didn&#39;t make the right choice.
    Instead of giving the good example they kill each other&#33; What&#39;s so good about that?

If Bush really wants to make a good impression in the Arabian world he has to convince them that he isn&#39;t taking control of the oil.
    And he has to stand between the Israelian authorities and the Palestinian people to tell them to stop and to work it out.

I just hope that one day there will be worldwide peace.

(My opinion)

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    If Bush really wants to make a good impression in the Arabian world he has to convince them that he isn&#39;t taking control of the oil.
    Now, that could be a little tricky to accomplish

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Originally posted by nikita69@12 September 2003 - 06:37
    The world talks about the "creation of an independent Palistanian State"&#33;&#33;&#33; I&#39;m curious to know, prior to the Balfour Declaration, a Legal independent country-part of the UN body called Palestine. Legally speaking, has that reconginition been desolved?? When? How? What?
    I&#39;ve read several of the responses, yet not sure if anyone attempted to answer my question. All I&#39;m saying that if the legal indepence of Palestine was never desovled (legally) then every member of the UN is responsible for the lives of the Palestinians and Jews in that land. Starting with the UK. I just don&#39;t believe any human has the the right to decide the fait (spelling&#33;&#33 of anyone else.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by SlimShady@12 September 2003 - 18:02
    I&#39;m sorry I&#39;m not discussing the same topic in the topic, but I wanted to comment on the first post.
    American authorities are selfish and greedy. Bush just found the reason to attack Iraq on his desk. Because he did it for the oil, everyone knows that. That Saddam Hussein was ruling there was just a good thing to him.

People in general are greedy (not all of us, ofcourse) look what happened in Israël.
    Abbas was really doing his best to make it work between his people, the US and Israël.
    Hamas and the Israelian authorities didn&#39;t make the right choice.
    Instead of giving the good example they kill each other&#33; What&#39;s so good about that?

And he has to stand between the Israelian authorities and the Palestinian people to tell them to stop and to work it out.

I just hope that one day there will be worldwide peace.

(My opinion)
    It warn&#39;t the Oil methinks, &#39;twas the fact that his popularity isn&#39;t exactly soaring if he isn&#39;t doing something radical pretty much all the time.

I don&#39;t have the numbers now but I know for a fact that whenever Bush were running things without an ongoing crisis his popularity ratings have been dropping.

*removed for Billy_Dean*

And about the Israeli issue getting no clear answers, well there are no answers, otherwise it would have been fixed already.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    BANNED
    I think you&#39;ll find that, prior to the Balfour Declaration, which was never enacted, Palestine was under British control and a Palestine as a seperate state was never declared.

I need to read more on this, a bit uninformed.

B)

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    BANNED
    I think you&#39;ll find that Iraq has the second or third largest oil reserves in the world.

I believe, (my opinion) that the US intends to stay in Iraq because they want to pull out of Saudi Arabia.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Billy_Dean,12 September 2003 - 18:47] I think you&#39;ll find that Iraq has the second or third largest oil reserves in the world.

^Here&#39;s how much oil is imported to the U.S. from abroad, not counting the domestic oil production, I was thinking about this, sorry.

U.S. production/import ratio:

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast