Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Astraweb retention being increased to 270 days

222MHz's Avatar Poster
    The real issue comes down to price over retention, we will hit a wall, if we haven't already where retention becomes a non-issue with quickly available reposts. While advertised retention is one thing, actual retention of the physical data on all possible drives (in the world) is an entire different retention. 10 years ago there were 1/2 the personal computers on the planet. 10 years ago, it would have made a shit load of sense of who could hold on to what the longest. TODAY, however it only matters who can give me close to the socially accepted window of 'it's still being passed around' before a repost is requesonested.. Case in point, member "Broken" was in search of Cars 2006 this week.. We'll at first is didn't look available, but mentioned here and another member got working on an upload intending to publish the nzb, because he still had it on HIS disk. Giving usenet another year to try to forget about it. SO, as older files can not grow in size and todays bandwidth and disk sizes do, retention should be the least of our concerns.

Same with connection, although as bandwidth goes up our connection might need to aswell.. But 20 connection is WAY more than enough for 95% or residential customers.
    Last edited by 222MHz; 01-04-2009 at 11:19 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #32
    this is good news as i just signed up !

3. Newsgroups   -   #33
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    So are astraweb's speeds consistently high, or do they fluctuate a lot? Giganews will max out my 6.5mbps connection 24/7.

4. Newsgroups   -   #34
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    So are astraweb's speeds consistently high, or do they fluctuate a lot? Giganews will max out my 6.5mbps connection 24/7.
    All depends on the route it takes from the server to you, that is the main thing that affects you're speed. Use the reverse traceroute utility on the site to check it. http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/tracepub.cgi

Though I think you will easily be able to reach 6.5Mb/s without fluctuation (or minor fluctuation). I've seen 62Mb/s with minor fluctuation (but that's normal for speed that high)
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 01-03-2009 at 04:43 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #35
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    i have 30mb download speed and it constantly maxes out on astraweb
    Last edited by dutchmaster420; 01-03-2009 at 05:50 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #36
    I've been happy with Astraweb so far. Their block size downloads are perfect for me. And now their increased retention is an awesome plus.

7. Newsgroups   -   #37
    I'm not sure if this was always the case, but if you go directly to their site it is $15/month for DSL unlimited, or $39/3 months. But if you click on the advertisements the special is for $11/month.

Link to $11 special: http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

I signed up today for Astraweb. I would have done so without the increase over Giganews. The increase is a bonus.
    Nothing against Giganews, just too pricey for their unlimited plans.
    Last edited by wespog; 01-04-2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #38
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Quote Originally Posted by 222MHz View Post
    I emailed Giganews questioning the competitors announcements.. The reply was
    "Please keep an eye on our website, should be an update there shortly..."
    Less than 2 hours ago.. Time shall tell.
    It really doesn't even matter how high their retention goes. 270 is more then enough for anyone to get what they need. The price is a big problem, I don't know how they can justify charging more then almost all other competitors.

9. Newsgroups   -   #39
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 222MHz View Post
    I emailed Giganews questioning the competitors announcements.. The reply was Less than 2 hours ago.. Time shall tell.
    It really doesn't even matter how high their retention goes. 270 is more then enough for anyone to get what they need. The price is a big problem, I don't know how they can justify charging more then almost all other competitors.
    I want more if I can get it.

And I don't really see a problem in paying $20-$30. This is just pocket money anyway.

10. Newsgroups   -   #40
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz View Post

I want more if I can get it.

And I don't really see a problem in paying $20-$30. This is just pocket money anyway.
    Mehh, I think at a certain point retention becomes all the same.....
    I personally dont care when it goes over 250 because all the stuff posted then is out of date for me anyway. ( Apps )
    Although I can see it for other stuff too ( movies, games, music ).

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast