Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hotmail Accounts

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    this sounds like a spammer is sending a message to a fake adress with your name as the sender.

the message bounces and is sent back to your account.

this is a common trick used by spammers to get passed the new breed of filters.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Mailandnews.com or shanjemail is very good. Either web based or through outlook or express.

http://mailandnews.com/

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Originally posted by Bodasher@12 September 2003 - 15:43
    IMHO Hotmail is utter undiluted cack. You should go with a POP3 account or something more secure. I can't suggest anything though because I use POP3.
    Heheh

POP3 sends passwords out on the network in plaintext, anyone on your network, or an a machine along the way can see it just by sniffing a few packets. Its among the least secure methods of recieving email. Even hotmail is more secure that than, since (at your option) it uses 128-bit SSL encryption. Most people don't bother to use the secure option.

Monica

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Forum Star
    cheers everyone, i have a few things to try out

@ balamm, Mailandnews.com is "upgrading its reg. process", so i'll try again in a day or 2

thanks again peeps
    pol

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Heheh

POP3 sends passwords out on the network in plaintext, anyone on your network, or an a machine along the way can see it just by sniffing a few packets. Its among the least secure methods of recieving email. Even hotmail is more secure that than, since (at your option) it uses 128-bit SSL encryption. Most people don't bother to use the secure option.

Monica
    Hotpop, anyone?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by monica_green_22@13 September 2003 - 01:15

Monica
    True, but I'm sure you know that, in the past, there have been much easier ways of hijacking a Hotmail account than it would be to sniff and sort through thousands of packets, just for a stupid password.

Password-wise, sure... Hotmail is probably more secure (except when you let IE remember it ), but getting someone's password isn't the only of getting into someone's account.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Heheh

Monica
    just for the record, i was just namedropping hotpop i wasn't saying anything against monica i think shes cool

btw:so if when i log in it prompts me for a password that means its not remembering the password(it does remember the login) right?My settings are fairly secure so I hope that's what's happening.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Yeah, it's not a virus. Those other people are right. It's just spammers using your address as the sender to get past
    filters. All you can really do about it is let it run it's course.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd+13 September 2003 - 06:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cl1mh4224rd @ 13 September 2003 - 06:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-monica_green_22@13 September 2003 - 01:15
    POP3 sends passwords out on the network in plaintext, anyone on your network, or an a machine along the way can see it just by sniffing a few packets. Its among the least secure methods of recieving email. Even hotmail is more secure that than, since (at your option) it uses 128-bit SSL encryption. Most people don&#39;t bother to use the secure option.

Monica
    True, but I&#39;m sure you know that, in the past, there have been much easier ways of hijacking a Hotmail account than it would be to sniff and sort through thousands of packets, just for a stupid password.

Password-wise, sure... Hotmail is probably more secure (except when you let IE remember it ), but getting someone&#39;s password isn&#39;t the only of getting into someone&#39;s account. [/b][/quote]
    Wow, hotmail sucks more than I originally thought.

Just for fun, I signed up for another hotmail account (disposable), and tried to break into it. It took me less than 25 minutes&#33;

I last tried just after they introduced the whole MS passport thing, and there were no obvious vulnerabilities. But since then, they have introduced at least 3 vulnerabilities (that I know of) which I was able to exploit and use to break into the account. All I needed to know was the passport email address and the first 8 digits of the check id (which any computer can solve using brute force in a few nanoseconds, only 256 possibilities).

This is harder during peak time since there are more check-ids and the servers are slower, but its still possible.

I will not post the details here of how I did it (to prevent mass account hijacking), but if you want to know, just pm/email me.

I strongly urge anyone using hotmail for anything sensitive/personal or other confidential data to consider other services, such as fastmail.fm or even yahoo mail.

Monica

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12