Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ireland

chalice's Avatar ____________________
    At least they're your MI5.

How would you like it if a crack team of foreign (Iraqi, say) deadly security experts were infiltrating your homeland?

I take it 'half a dozen' was a euphemism, like. At least, I hope it was.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I do see that point of view, but..

Frankly, if they break my door down, i'd prefer for them to be foreign.. at least then its not my side fucking my life up

However you do see the irony of the situation. Ulster is quieter than its been for decades and the security forces are stretched to the limit and beyond... lets re-start the troubles.

Genious, even for Brown.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced View Post
    I do see that point of view, but..

Frankly, if they break my door down, i'd prefer for them to be foreign.. at least then its not my side fucking my life up

However you do see the irony of the situation. Ulster is quieter than its been for decades and the security forces are stretched to the limit and beyond... lets re-start the troubles.

Genious, even for Brown.
    That's precisely it, RF.

This move was kept secret from the policing board until a couple of days ago. As if we didn't already have enough trust issues between ourselves.

All this will achieve will be a garnering of support for the dissidents.

Spirit of '69 all over again.

Edit: Seconds after posting the above I heard on the news of an attack on a N Ireland army base where 2 soldiers were shot dead and 4 others injured including 2 pizza delivery men. These were the first soldiers to be killed in Ulster since 1997.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7930995.stm

Coincidence? I think not.
    Last edited by chalice; 03-08-2009 at 03:38 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    no_bother's Avatar Village Troll BT Rep: +4
    Living in the south of Ireland, and very south of the border means Im not involved too much in it.
    IM a catholic, and believe that the whole country should be united as one again, but that uin turn will lead to different problems. I notice the original posters ignorance of the UVF also, placing all the blame on the IRA. It just so ahppens that there is an equally violent unionist organisation too. the IRA may have bombed the wrong people time and time again, but the more evidence that comes out agout the likes of the omagh bombings the more it points towards a hoax, that they were set up by the PSNI, and that is disturbing to think.

I always look at the IRA and the UVF in this way,
    are you a freedom fighter or a terrorist?>
    it all depends on what you believe. In my case I would say the IRA are Freedom fighters, and the UVF are terrorists, but others will say the opposite.

I think this is best left to politics, but not the politicians that are there now, its time for some fresh blood in stormont to get the ball rolling properly to find the best solution.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    They're both terrorist organisations.

I can think of a time that the IRA were Freedom Fighters, but not since Catholics received equal voting rights to Protestants.

In a Democracy, the Majority gets its way.

I have absolutely no problem with letting Ulster go and Eire being one country, however it has to be the decision of the people there.

And no, I am not naive enough to think that there is no more sectarianism in Northern Ireland. However its the franchise that changes things, not Bombs.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    I didnt read this whole thread, I wasnt talking about you either Rat faced.
    I was talking about the guy who started this thread and is now banned, in his post he focused on the IRA.
    Although a nationalist (my whole family are from the north, catholics so it runs in our blood and what im brought up with) I dont agree with the latest killings, and I think this is the silly crap that is holding back what is best for the people of NI

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Col. Skillz's Avatar Bacco,Tabacco,Venere
    Quote Originally Posted by no_bother View Post
    Living in the south of Ireland, and very south of the border means Im not involved too much in it.
    IM a catholic, and believe that the whole country should be united as one again, but that uin turn will lead to different problems. I notice the original posters ignorance of the UVF also, placing all the blame on the IRA. It just so ahppens that there is an equally violent unionist organisation too. the IRA may have bombed the wrong people time and time again, but the more evidence that comes out agout the likes of the omagh bombings the more it points towards a hoax, that they were set up by the PSNI, and that is disturbing to think.

it all depends on what you believe. In my case I would say the IRA are Freedom fighters, and the UVF are terrorists, but others will say the opposite.

I think this is best left to politics, but not the politicians that are there now, its time for some fresh blood in stormont to get the ball rolling properly to find the best solution.
    The south eh? how far south? County Kerry? dingle? lol

I had a girlfriend from Tralee....sigh

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Skillz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by no_bother View Post

The south eh? how far south? County Kerry? dingle? lol

I had a girlfriend from Tralee....sigh
    Living in dublin, originally from waterford (south east)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234