Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Allways Leave My Computer On?

Poster
    Originally posted by Wolfmight+14 September 2003 - 21:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wolfmight @ 14 September 2003 - 21:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Somebody1234@14 September 2003 - 20:07
    How many times does this sunject need to be discussed?

Read this thread: http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=65300
    You left yours on for a year?
    What pc stats?
    I&#39;ma start leavin mine on.. just wonderin cause my Graphics card uses alot of power.. but when it&#39;s not in use i guess it doesnt heat up. [/b][/quote]
    You ask what PC stats?

Antec True 380Watt. PS.
    2 case fans 80mm (slow and quiet - speed controlled by PS)
    MSI KT3 Ultra KT333 Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    Custom cooler (with self built fan adaptor)
    1 gig RAM ddr333 (Samsung)
    2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 harddrives.
    MSI Nvidia GeForce 4 ti4200
    Soundblaster PCI512
    LG CDRW
    LG DVD ROM
    Samsung SyncMaster 900NF Monitor
    D-Link NIC
    Linksys router
    Alcatel ADSL modem

Before this PC I have had other ones and I have always left them on too, without problems.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Unless one&#39;s running a server, IMO it&#39;s ego & foolish to leave it on 24/7.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    I&#39;ve been leaving mine on 24/7 with the ocassional restart & my comp seems kinda screwy, windows automatic update no longer works & my harddrive (original) sounds like it&#39;s struggling when I try to do something, mind you I think it could have something to do with norton, anywAy after around a day or 2 I find I need to restart because it runs really slow.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    being a bit of a environmentalist I don&#39;t really like people leaving their computers on all the time - it&#39;s only acceptable if you&#39;re doing something, like downloading or calculating Pi

if you are going to leave it on make sure you turn off the monitor/speakers/or any other peripherals to save our planet (or some of its resources at least)
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by kazaaliterock@14 September 2003 - 23:07
    what does hybernate do?
    It saves your current Windows session to disc, and it then safely turns the computer off.

Its the closest thing to a true "suspend" to me, because it can resume from a hibernate state when I hit the power button again, in like 2 seconds.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by zapjb@15 September 2003 - 13:20
    Unless one&#39;s running a server, IMO it&#39;s ego & foolish to leave it on 24/7.
    @zapjb, are you trying to start a flamewar???

being a bit of a environmentalist I don&#39;t really like people leaving their computers on all the time - it&#39;s only acceptable if you&#39;re doing something, like downloading or calculating Pi

if you are going to leave it on make sure you turn off the monitor/speakers/or any other peripherals to save our planet (or some of its resources at least)
    I believe in saving our planet too. I leave my computer on but it&#39;s because I use it a lot and I have it doing things like downloading, uploading and other things while I&#39;m not in front of it.

These machines are designed to be used in this fashion. I do use the power management features to conserve energy.

ENERGY STAR is a government-backed program helping
    businesses and individuals protect the environment through
    superior energy efficiency.
    Quote directly from their web site:
    Remember, saving energy prevents pollution.
    Because most computer equipment is left on 24 hours a day,
    power management features are important for saving energy and
    are an easy way to reduce air pollution.
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...s.pr_computers

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I find this funny....In another topic just like this EVERYONE said leave it on...now almost everyone says turn it off&#33; lol but there were a lot of good reasons for leaving it on...i leave mine on and it works fine even with the crappy stats
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Originally posted by Somebody1234+16 September 2003 - 00:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Somebody1234 &#064; 16 September 2003 - 00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-zapjb@15 September 2003 - 13:20

I believe in saving our planet too. I leave my computer on but it&#39;s because I use it a lot and I have it doing things like downloading, uploading and other things while I&#39;m not in front of it.

These machines are designed to be used in this fashion. I do use the power management features to conserve energy.

ENERGY STAR is a government-backed program helping
    businesses and individuals protect the environment through
    superior energy efficiency.
    Quote directly from their web site:
    Remember, saving energy prevents pollution.
    Because most computer equipment is left on 24 hours a day,
    power management features are important for saving energy and
    are an easy way to reduce air pollution.
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...s.pr_computers[/b][/quote]
    Calculating Pi...I like that...

If you are not using your computer, why leave it on?

You can&#39;t "really" defrag your computer unless you run diskeeper at boot time. By the way diskeeper 8 is nice. The boot time defragmenter is what really sets diskeeper apart from other defraggers.

I turn my computer off every night before I go to bed. I have been known to run refresh rates at or over 100 Hz. And besides that video card, as Wolfmight knows, is not exactly energy efficient...and my [email protected] GHz and the RAID volume...all of that is heavy power consumption, yes...

I think turning off your computer is a good idea in general whenever you are not using it. It is that simple...I mean I guess you could hypothetically keep it on for no reason, just to keep it on for the f*ck of it...it is refreshing rebooting...

And not to mention, whenever you upgrade your operating system it is required for you to reboot anyways for the changes to be applied...and if you are a computer geek like me and get most of your day to day thrills from tweaking your
    computer, you will end up occasionaly needing to reboot...

And to the flaming, ignore them Somebody1234, I have seen a lot of people post on this board; you have good computer karma coming to you, yes, I have seen you help more confused computer newbs than everybody except Lamsey. We all appreciate you, bud.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@15 September 2003 - 03:03
    hmm, i been turnin mine off every night.
    I got a Radeon 9500 Pro graphics card that required one of those HD power supply cords to be connected to it also. It uses alot of poWer&#33;
    I am guessing mogadishu has a radeon pro card that has the extra power.
    I paid &#036;200 and dont want it to burn up

edit:
    btw i got a CPU fan (slightly larger heatsink than normal... rectangled)
    and a PCI Slot Fan (than is put at the bottom slot on the computer case that doesnt lead to a PCI input)
    By the way Wolfmight, how is the 9500 Pro working for ya? Pretty nice card, eh?

The card gave me delayed write errors&#33; Until I figured out that I needed a MUCH more powerful power supply to keep it happy.

Read this about avoiding problems with your 9500 pro

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Somebody1234
    Posted on 15 September 2003 - 19:57

QUOTE (zapjb @ 15 September 2003 - 13:20)

Nope. It&#39;s just my opinion. Nobody has to agree with me. But I&#39;ll expand my opinion. If I was to keep my computer on 24/7 & it was NOT performing some sort of task the whole 24/7. Or needed to be called on remotely in an instant by myself or others, like a server. I&#39;d be an idiot. Draw all the inference you want from that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast