Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SSD will replace our HDD soon?

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I think I will order those.
    I realized after i posted that i could just go with a pair of cheaper SSDs rather than a pair of raptors.
    But I forgot to post and ask.

What's the difference between MLC and SLC?

OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30G 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
    Price: $149.00

• Sequential Access - Read: up to 230MB/s
    • Sequential Access - Write: up to 135MB/s; Sustained Write: Up to 80MB/s

This one has higher speeds than the one you posted but is MLC based and I read somewhere that SLC is better (not sure why).

Patriot PE32GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
    Price: $129.99

• Sequential Access - Read: up to 175MB/s
    • Sequential Access - Write: up to 100MB/s

This is the one that you posted. It doesn't say if it's SLC or MLC and the patriotmem website isn't loading for me to look it up.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Thanks, just finished reading that.
    So is the patriot a MLC or SLC? (that's the one that you have right?)
    edit: NVM you have the samsung, just went back and read.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Thanks, just finished reading that.
    So is the patriot a MLC or SLC? (that's the one that you have right?)
    edit: NVM you have the samsung, just went back and read.
    I think I would make the assumption that if they aren't telling you that it is SLC, then it must be MLC.

If the assumption is wrong, it's their fault for not giving enough info.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    wow great news.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I decided against getting SSDs.
    The expensive SLC ones are what I want. But I want to RAID them and then the price just becomes ridiculous (and my contorller won't handle the speed they can put out so I would need a proper raid controller too).
    The cheaper MLC ones aren't really any good. They start out fast but they become very slow after a couple weeks due to a lot of writes/erases. There are solutions but they seem like a pain in the ass to do every week.

So now it's either just live with what I've got (seagate 7200rpm 750gb) or buy a pair of raptors.
    Would I notice a big difference with raided raptors replacing the seagate? (for windows7, the 750gb will be for storage)

Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

Price:$124.99

• Cache: 16MB
    • Average Seek Time: 4.6ms
    • Average Write Time: 5.2ms
    • Average Latency: 2.99ms

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM

Price:$224.99

• Cache: 16MB
    • Average Seek Time: 4.2ms
    • Average Write Time: 4.7ms
    • Average Latency: 3ms (nominal)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well there's no doubt that RAIDed Raptors will benchmark a whole lot better than a single drive but whether or not you'll actually notice the difference is another matter.
    Kinda depends on what you're doing.

That said, I think it'd be a mistake to invest in a pair of Raptors- even if you did see an improvement.
    I've read about all the "problems" supposedly inherent with MLC drives but have yet to see them manifested on the SSD that I have.
    Given that my drive is ancient as far as SSDs go, I'd have expected it to be prone to every issue you're worried about but that hasn't been the case.
    Just sayin.

Being that you're a forward looking guy with a lot of hardware smarts, what I think you should do is get one new SSD and try it out.
    If it doesn't meet expectations you can always get an inexpensive external enclosure (mine was under $20) and use it as a kickass super flashdrive.

Buying Raptor(s) now strikes me as akin to buying a top of the line bias ply tire just as radials were poised to take over.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    VinX's Avatar ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ BT Rep: +5
    i love my Seagate HDD .. Barracuda ROX !!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    I haven't try the SDD yet...when it will be release?what company introduce this one?..is it reliable?...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    IMO the OCZ Vertexes are priced decently enough when compared with Raptors/VRaptors (a while back the 30GB Vertexes went on sale at Newegg for $80+ shipped, which is around $2.67/GB vs $1.68/GB for a 74GB Raptor), especially when you consider the fact that 2 of them in RAID0 gets you blistering 500MB/s read speeds. MLC < SLC is still an issue, but for OS drives I think SSD prices are fast becoming attractive options. Also, are you sure that they become very slow? I was under the impression that even after a decent SSD (Intel, OCZ Vertex, etc) would still be superior to a mechanical HDD.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast