Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrading from Athlon 2500+ to what? It's an ASUS mobo (adamp2p)

I definitely agree with Broken, doing a (near) total rebuild of the system will be much better than massively overspending for a marginal upgrade.

If your friend doesn't have $200 right now, then he should wait and save up. Any lesser upgrade will be a waste of money.
    Not sure what that file's gonna do? Check it with ANUBIS - Analyzing Unknown Binaries
    Is that site DOWN FOR EVERYONE OR JUST ME?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    manu1991's Avatar Ancient Philospher BT Rep: +3
    Sorry didnt read that thread you'd link to

Socket A type mobo's/proccy's are obviously EOL . No use holding to them

Get a 790GX based mobo as suggested above , it has great onboard GFX for running games at decent fps

As for processor , 7750 Black Edition is you best bet , check the performance here:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-me...ack-Edition/p3

And if you buying everything new , why not see Intel too .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    The socket A platform is dead - and has been for some time.
    Any investment in such would be misguided at best, and downright foolish at worst.

I would recommend the ASRock AOD790GX mobo. It's a very modern board with a lot of upgrade potential if your friend decides to take things to the next level in the future. It has the highest level integrated graphics, ATI Radeon HD 3300, available today - and is capable of a playable frame rate in most modern games. Although a graphics card is always best, I am assuming that your friend's budget is very tight and keeping future upgrades in mind without wasting money on parts that'll be thrown out quickly - this is a very good route.

To go along with it I would suggest the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200. Not the best, but once again I am assuming that price is everything at the moment. It's a reasonable processor that will be more than a noticeable improvement over anything in the socket A platform. Plus, if your friend later decides to invest in a graphics card, it should be able to handle most without a noticeable bottleneck.

Throw in a gig of cheap DDR2 RAM and parts out of the old system and you got a reasonable system with a ton of future potential for about $180.
    Thanks for the recommendations, Broken. Will pass along them. You have been a great help!

Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    I'm still here too. It's ROSSCO_2003/ROSSCO_2004/ROSSCO_2005/rossco/tesco. Dunno if you remember me but I remember you from when I first started coming here.
    Welcome back.

Nothing to say related to the thread though, just wanted to say hi.
    Of course I remember you! How have you been?

The socket A platform is dead - and has been for some time.
    Any investment in such would be misguided at best, and downright foolish at worst.

I would recommend the ASRock AOD790GX mobo. It's a very modern board with a lot of upgrade potential if your friend decides to take things to the next level in the future. It has the highest level integrated graphics, ATI Radeon HD 3300, available today - and is capable of a playable frame rate in most modern games. Although a graphics card is always best, I am assuming that your friend's budget is very tight and keeping future upgrades in mind without wasting money on parts that'll be thrown out quickly - this is a very good route.

To go along with it I would suggest the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200. Not the best, but once again I am assuming that price is everything at the moment. It's a reasonable processor that will be more than a noticeable improvement over anything in the socket A platform. Plus, if your friend later decides to invest in a graphics card, it should be able to handle most without a noticeable bottleneck.

Throw in a gig of cheap DDR2 RAM and parts out of the old system and you got a reasonable system with a ton of future potential for about $180.
    Oh yeah, forgot -- what type of graphics card would you suggest?

THANKS AGAIN!
    Last edited by adamp2p; 03-20-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by adamp2p View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot -- what type of graphics card would you suggest?

THANKS AGAIN!
    None.

The idea behind suggesting this particular motherboard is that the onboard graphics is strong enough to do a reasonable amount of gaming, without the expense of a dedicated graphics card. While allowing the possibility of adding a good card in the future if needed.

It's the absolutely most frugal upgrade possible to get something up and running. To add a decent graphics card would close to double the price of the upgrade.

It's a way of deferring upfront expense without waste.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I have several socket A's running right now, I use them for video converting and gaming for those games a few years old. I can also play some of the newer stuff on very low settings. The two I'm running have an AthlonXP3000+ (Asus A7N8X-E) and an AthlonXP3200+ (MSI K7N2 DELTA ILSR) in them. It really depends on the motherboard model as to how high a processor its able to take. You would have to identify the model number as well as the board revision and bios update to be absolutely sure and visit the manufacturers site for the info you need. Then get the highest power AGP nVidia card you can find (avoid ATI, their cards look cheap and powerful but their AGP compatibility is really sucky) and boost your memory to the mobos recommended max (most boards of that day didn't go any higher than 4 gig in 4 slots as 1gig memory sticks back then cost 1000 dollars (I exaggerate alot). Some people hate to trash something just cause its old, your buddies machine has alot of years left of good use, don't listen to the people who just throw their stuff away, they can probably afford it, he probably can't. You can not just buy a new motherboard without also getting a video card, memory, power supply, and CPU and its gonna cost him a minum of $400 and at least $700 for a good machine, I Guarantee.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 03-22-2009 at 01:31 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    I have several socket A's running right now, I use them for video converting and gaming for those games a few years old. I can also play some of the newer stuff on very low settings. The two I'm running have an AthlonXP3000+ (Asus A7N8X-E) and an AthlonXP3200+ (MSI K7N2 DELTA ILSR) in them. It really depends on the motherboard model as to how high a processor its able to take. You would have to identify the model number as well as the board revision and bios update to be absolutely sure and visit the manufacturers site for the info you need. Then get the highest power AGP nVidia card you can find (avoid ATI, their cards look cheap and powerful but their AGP compatibility is really sucky) and boost your memory to the mobos recommended max (most boards of that day didn't go any higher than 4 gig in 4 slots as 1gig memory sticks back then cost 1000 dollars (I exaggerate alot). Some people hate to trash something just cause its old, your buddies machine has alot of years left of good use, don't listen to the people who just throw their stuff away, they can probably afford it, he probably can't. You can not just buy a new motherboard without also getting a video card, memory, power supply, and CPU and its gonna cost him a minum of $400 and at least $700 for a good machine, I Guarantee.
    You are insane.

You can't possibly recommend buying ancient parts for a dead platform.

The antiques you are talking about cost more than a new part that is inexpressive more powerful. The lowest level current generation processor would sell for a fraction of the price, and run anything in the socket A platform into the ground.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    You are insane.

You can't possibly recommend buying ancient parts for a dead platform.

The antiques you are talking about cost more than a new part that is inexpressive more powerful. The lowest level current generation processor would sell for a fraction of the price, and run anything in the socket A platform into the ground.
    +1 what Broken said.
    Not sure what that file's gonna do? Check it with ANUBIS - Analyzing Unknown Binaries
    Is that site DOWN FOR EVERYONE OR JUST ME?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    HMthePM's Avatar woweee BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Sorry to hijack your thread. But I am also planning to upgrade my cpu.
    Recently bought a 8800 graphics card. Now I am looking to upgrade the cpu.

I have a assus m2n-mx mobo. AM2 socket. Currently using amd64 3200+. What can I get next, or rather what would my mobo support?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by HMthePM View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread. But I am also planning to upgrade my cpu.
    Recently bought a 8800 graphics card. Now I am looking to upgrade the cpu.

I have a assus m2n-mx mobo. AM2 socket. Currently using amd64 3200+. What can I get next, or rather what would my mobo support?
    It'll support up to a Phenom X4 9850. But you will probably have to update the BIOS.
    I am using a only slightly faster 9950, and I must say it rocks. Would be a noticeable difference in power and performance over the one you currently have. It's listed on newegg right now for $139.

If you are wanting to reuse this Mobo and get a phenom for it, better do it soon.
    I suspect that AMD will quickly be replacing it with the Phenom II.

CPU support list
    Last edited by Broken; 03-22-2009 at 09:28 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    HMthePM's Avatar woweee BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Thanks for that link Broken. I had forgotten to check the manufaturer website. I prolly go for the newest x2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast