Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torrent Sites Shut Down for Hosting Leaked XMEN Flick:

pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    Theres no real difference between upping this and any other movie, except that its not in theatres yet.
    That's exactly the difference, though.

A large portion of a movie's revenues come from the first period after it's released to theaters. Releasing a movie in advance, especially so much time before its actual debut, may have an adverse effect on those revenues. That's one of the reasons that studios tend to get on their high heels and vow to find and punish the people responsible for such leaks.
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I wonder if this being released is such a bad thing for the company. The movie isn't finished, so people still have to go to the movies to see what the finished product is like.

I downloaded it, because I figure it will be fun to see what it looks like without the special effects and with visible wires attached to actors.

Who knows.. maybe hundreds of thousand people seeing the work such a movie demands will have a positive effect.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Watermarking Could Lead to 'X-Men' Uploader
    By David Kravets EmailApril 02, 2009 | 6:36:54 PMCategories: Crime

Picture_17 It's no surprise the Federal Bureau of Investigation is probing the pre-release leak of the upcoming flick, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Watermarking, in addition to good old-fashioned detective work, likely could to lead to the original culprit.

And if the theft was done in the United States, the defendant faces up to five years in prison under a closely guarded copyright law making it a criminal offense to upload pre-release material. That's because uploading pre-release material – movies or music -- is considered the most egregious form of piracy warranting FBI involvement.

That's why BitTorrent sites like The Pirate Bay, Mininova and others may be stuffed with unauthorized copyright content, but the leechers and seeders of these sites generally – but not always -- are breaking civil laws and face lawsuits or having their internet connection suspended.

All the while, camcording or using a cell phone camera at the movie theater is becoming the latest piracy front as the uploading of pre-release motion pictures is becoming rare. That's because the studios are beefing up security, and are adding watermarks to their pre-release, in-house versions – all of which makes it easier to track an original uploader.

"While the majority of all newly released pirated movies are due to camcords, there are unfortunately rare instances when a movie is stolen prior to its theatrical release," the Motion Picture Association of America said in a statement. "Over the last several years the studios have significantly increased security at all levels of the production and post-production process that have had a positive impact on reducing instances of these leaks."

Maybe that's why the studios just reported record, global box-office sales of $28.1 billion last year, a 5 percent increase from the year before.

Watermarking is why 20th Century Fox is cocksure the purloiner of its Hugh Jackman movie, to debut May 1 in the United States, will be apprehended. The source of the leak, the studio maintained in a statement, "will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law." Fox employs USVO watermarking technology.

Codes that are digitally woven into a DVD copy, watermarking helped nab a Los Angeles man in February accused of stealing a pre-release copy of Mike Meyers' The Love Guru. Defendant Jack Yates faces five years for allegedly pilfering a DVD from a Los Angeles print shop where he worked. The shop was producing a screener DVD for Jay Leno's "Tonight Show."

Digital forensics and detective work have lead to the arrest of an Illinois man in 2004 who uploaded several screener copies of movies such as Something's Gotta Give, The Last Samurai and others. The defendant, Russell Sprague of Illinois, was found dead in his Los Angeles jail cell while waiting to be sentenced to three years in prison for criminal copyright infringement.

Sometimes, however, it is not known who originally pilfered a pre-release movie.

EliteTorrents admin Scott McCausland, and several others connected to the now-defunct site, were handed as much as five months in prison for, among other things, releasing Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith in 2005.

And it's not just movies the FBI tracks when it comes to pre-release material. Just ask Kevin Cogill, the Los Angeles man looking at six months in prison for uploading nine, pre-release tracks to the Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy. He was nabbed after the Recording Industry Association of America traced Cogill's IP address as the source of the uploaded songs.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    ipt has 2 i think lol

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Ok, I can see watermarking leading to the person who leaked it, but the original uploader? No excuse there, there are way too many open networks you can jump on and start from (yes, maybe a little slow, but its a workprint, not a dvdr) and not be traced ever.
    I have no sympathy for the people who get arrested unless they were the owner of said unsecured network (again, their problem)
    Slackers

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by KARLOZ25@KAZAA View Post
    Watermarking Could Lead to 'X-Men' Uploader
    By David Kravets EmailApril 02, 2009 | 6:36:54 PMCategories: Crime

Picture_17 It's no surprise the Federal Bureau of Investigation is probing the pre-release leak of the upcoming flick, X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Watermarking, in addition to good old-fashioned detective work, likely could to lead to the original culprit.

And if the theft was done in the United States, the defendant faces up to five years in prison under a closely guarded copyright law making it a criminal offense to upload pre-release material. That's because uploading pre-release material – movies or music -- is considered the most egregious form of piracy warranting FBI involvement.

That's why BitTorrent sites like The Pirate Bay, Mininova and others may be stuffed with unauthorized copyright content, but the leechers and seeders of these sites generally – but not always -- are breaking civil laws and face lawsuits or having their internet connection suspended.

All the while, camcording or using a cell phone camera at the movie theater is becoming the latest piracy front as the uploading of pre-release motion pictures is becoming rare. That's because the studios are beefing up security, and are adding watermarks to their pre-release, in-house versions – all of which makes it easier to track an original uploader.

"While the majority of all newly released pirated movies are due to camcords, there are unfortunately rare instances when a movie is stolen prior to its theatrical release," the Motion Picture Association of America said in a statement. "Over the last several years the studios have significantly increased security at all levels of the production and post-production process that have had a positive impact on reducing instances of these leaks."

Maybe that's why the studios just reported record, global box-office sales of $28.1 billion last year, a 5 percent increase from the year before.

Watermarking is why 20th Century Fox is cocksure the purloiner of its Hugh Jackman movie, to debut May 1 in the United States, will be apprehended. The source of the leak, the studio maintained in a statement, "will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law." Fox employs USVO watermarking technology.

Codes that are digitally woven into a DVD copy, watermarking helped nab a Los Angeles man in February accused of stealing a pre-release copy of Mike Meyers' The Love Guru. Defendant Jack Yates faces five years for allegedly pilfering a DVD from a Los Angeles print shop where he worked. The shop was producing a screener DVD for Jay Leno's "Tonight Show."

Digital forensics and detective work have lead to the arrest of an Illinois man in 2004 who uploaded several screener copies of movies such as Something's Gotta Give, The Last Samurai and others. The defendant, Russell Sprague of Illinois, was found dead in his Los Angeles jail cell while waiting to be sentenced to three years in prison for criminal copyright infringement.

Sometimes, however, it is not known who originally pilfered a pre-release movie.

EliteTorrents admin Scott McCausland, and several others connected to the now-defunct site, were handed as much as five months in prison for, among other things, releasing Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith in 2005.

And it's not just movies the FBI tracks when it comes to pre-release material. Just ask Kevin Cogill, the Los Angeles man looking at six months in prison for uploading nine, pre-release tracks to the Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy. He was nabbed after the Recording Industry Association of America traced Cogill's IP address as the source of the uploaded songs.
    suck to be an US citizen eh?

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by eric13 View Post
    ipt has 2 i think lol
    I beg to differ

Congrats to the leaker too but fuck me are you in trouble when(if) they catch you.

You'll get convicted with a harsher punishment then if you're an "average joe" because you stole under the grounds of a servant.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Well news reporting that "site have been shut down for hosting it"

I was just curious as to what sites?
    Pretty sure it was simply removed from the site hosting it, and i think it was more of a filesharing, than a bit torrent site.

something like rapidfileshare, that sort of thing, and the site wasnt shut down.

only what i heard on the news, dont know for sure obviously

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Squizzle's Avatar (""\(O.o)/"")
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
    Well news reporting that "site have been shut down for hosting it"

I was just curious as to what sites?
    Pretty sure it was simply removed from the site hosting it, and i think it was more of a filesharing, than a bit torrent site.

something like rapidfileshare, that sort of thing, and the site wasnt shut down.

only what i heard on the news, dont know for sure obviously
    What the hell are you talking about?

It was global pre'd.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eric13 View Post
    ipt has 2 i think lol
    I beg to differ

Congrats to the leaker too but fuck me are you in trouble when(if) they catch you.

You'll get convicted with a harsher punishment then if you're an "average joe" because you stole under the grounds of a servant.

oh wow haha seems everybody wants piece of that cake

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast