Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Waffles security alert.

Der0's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    I changed my password although i think it is nothing serious.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    lisabritpop's Avatar godwillblesslisa
    i've changed my password and passkey ~~~~

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    LubTheStaringCat's Avatar I'm curious BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by forcus View Post

That's courting disaster In the waiting, I would consider changing a few of them.
    I would consider using a different password on EVERY site. Honestly look through this forum at all the hacking dramas that have happened over the years. This isn't the first time a torrent DB has been compromised.

Some sites are even stupid enough/malicious enough to not hash the passwords and keep them in plain text. Only a few torrent sites are actually secure and hack proof so your pass is vulnerable. Even if the pass is hashed who's to say someone isn't logging them as you type them in at the login page (yes it's happened before).

If some fucker manages to get hold of one of your passwords believe me the first thing he'll do is hack all of your accounts and your email.

Honestly just write them on a .txt file and put them somewhere safe. Using the same password is madness, particularly if you become a well known member of the BT community.

You will get the odd moron that will read this and not pay one blind bit of notice, thinking this will never happen to me.

On a personal note, I do have a text file with passwords, and well hidden.
    I'm not stupid enough to keep passwords all the same.
    Last edited by forcus; 04-10-2009 at 11:43 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Sharing since 2002 BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    password and passkey changed! Thanks for the heads up guys!

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    FSC [Fight Club] BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by forcus View Post

That's courting disaster In the waiting, I would consider changing a few of them.
    I would consider using a different password on EVERY site. Honestly look through this forum at all the hacking dramas that have happened over the years. This isn't the first time a torrent DB has been compromised.

Some sites are even stupid enough/malicious enough to not hash the passwords and keep them in plain text. Only a few torrent sites are actually secure and hack proof so your pass is vulnerable. Even if the pass is hashed who's to say someone isn't logging them as you type them in at the login page (yes it's happened before).

If some fucker manages to get hold of one of your passwords believe me the first thing he'll do is hack all of your accounts and your email.

Honestly just write them on a .txt file and put them somewhere safe. Using the same password is madness, particularly if you become a well known member of the BT community.
    WORD! Amazing how people just dont seem to get it. If they got access to the full DB then your emails and IPs are also known. I wouldnt doubt seeing this pop up around the net in the next few days
    Proud Member of:

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    Indeed it's a shame but it seems to happen again and again, and there's never a shortage of people who don't learn and get caught up in it.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    There is password manager applications which are databases that automatically create and manage complex passwords for your internet logons. They even log you on automatically to your torrent sites or bank accounts or whatever and are completely configurable. I use 1password for Mac but I know there is a few PC apps that also do this.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    TheRatFink's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    i use roboform for all my passwords and keep them on a flash on my keyring. roboform has a password generator to, pretty conveinient.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234